Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle surge after new head gasket-my mechanic cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civiccowboy will become famous soon enough
Idle surge after new head gasket-my mechanic cant figure it out

I took my car to my mechanic to have the head gasket replaced. It ran fine getting there. Now after replacing the head gasket, the car wont idle. He used his scan tool and replaced the MAP sensor and the IAC valve. The car still wont idle. It just sits there surging. I am wondering if there is an intake manifold leak or maybe the cam timing is off by a notch. Any ideas?
PS- I did a search for this problem, but couldn't find anyone who had it happen after a head gasket replacement.
Old 10-17-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Idle surge after new head gasket-my mechanic cant figure it out

definitely sounds like a post-throttle vacuum leak. Make sure all the injectors are seated again, the IM is seated on the head, all the ports in the IM are hooked up to their respective hoses, etc....
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Ever figure this out OP?
Old 05-16-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 5.0Thunder
Ever figure this out OP?
Being that post is from 10 years ago there's a good chance he's no longer around. Is your engine having similar issue?
Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Being that post is from 10 years ago there's a good chance he's no longer around. Is your engine having similar issue?
Lmao figured I'd try before poasting a new thread and everybody railing me for not searching..

and yeah, though there are a lot of variables at play here. Head gasket was replaced by honda tech, now idle surging and hanging. Typically an IAC valve issue or intake manifold gasket issue (was not replaced), though the IAC was functioning perfectly before I dropped it off. He's looking it over currently and I believe replacing the intake gasket. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess I'll be looking for an IAC valve.
Old 05-16-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 5.0Thunder
Head gasket was replaced by honda tech, now idle surging and hanging. Typically an IAC valve issue or intake manifold gasket issue (was not replaced), though the IAC was functioning perfectly before I dropped it off. He's looking it over currently and I believe replacing the intake gasket. If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess I'll be looking for an IAC valve.
Intake gaskets become dried out and brittle. Often times they stick to either the cylinder head, intake manifold or both when seperated from head/IM and should be removed with a razor blade and solvent so the mating surfaces are as clean and flat as possible. Wouldn't be surprised if the IM gasket is the issue.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-16-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Intake gaskets become dried out and brittle.
Steel intake gaskets on 7th gens are pretty dried out to start with
I reuse steel gaskets a lot (out of necessity), no prob.

I'd kinda hope it's just a vacuum hose left off or something simple like that, because no cost.
Old 05-16-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Steel intake gaskets on 7th gens are pretty dried out to start with I reuse steel gaskets a lot (out of necessity), no prob.
Damn Honda switching up gaskets on me from 6th to 7th gen.
Sorry OP I ***-umed the D17 uses a paper gasket like a D16 does.
Thanks for correcting me Ezone.
Old 05-17-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the comments guys. IM Gasket and cleaned IAC valve fixed it. 155k miles and hoping she keeps going strong for years to come.