Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny / Criuse Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deetek is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny / Criuse Control Issue

I just wanted to post what happened to me, to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. If not, then if this happens to you, you will at least know what the problem is.
About 3 days ago my 2005 civic, with only 22,000 miles on it (still under warranty) started slipping while in first gear. It is an automatic. When I would be at a stop and pull off, it would rev and hesitate and then grab into gear. It scared the hell out of me. I thought it was for sure my transmission. Also, I was hearing a rattling noise in the console where the stick shifter is.
Well, I took it to the dealer, and it took them a whole day of checking the transmission to figure it out. Apparently the cruise control mechanism under the hood was malfunctioning and sending incorrect information to my tranny. So they disconnected the unit and apparently it stopped slipping. Whats really unusual is that I don't even use my cruise control, or even turn it on. But anyway, their gonna order me a new cruise control unit (its supposdly very expensive, but covered under the warranty luckily) and install it in a few days.
Anyway, has anyone had a simmilar problem to this. The mechanic at the dealer said he had never seen this before. I'm just worried that it may be a bigger problem than this. I don't understand how my cruise control can affect my tranny when its not even on.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tranny / Criuse Control Issue

its strange. but yeah in the computer age, anything will affect how the car runs. my tps sensor voltage was too high (related to throttle body) and it felt like the trans was busted, it wouldnt shift out of gear, or in gear, i barely limped it home. just because it was getting bad signals due to ecu telling it wrong info about air intake. trans is tied to cruise, because it also has to shift the gears when in cruise mode. doesnt matter if cruise is being used or not either. everything is always ON.
Old 09-19-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deetek is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tranny / Criuse Control Issue

Thanks for info.!