Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible bad coil(s) code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judsonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible bad coil(s) code?

OK, first off, first post; Been a big poster in the old Chevy (truck) boards, but now is the first time I've posted regarding my Honda.

It's a 2001 LX 4 door with 101k miles. I know they're not hot, but I bought it for my wife. Up until February, I had a cayenne red 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-Turbo. Anyway, enough about me, onto the problem.

It runs ok on startup for about 15-25 minutes, then goes into a, for lack of a better word "safe" mode. Idling very low, and pressing the gas yields minimal response. I've replaced the upper and lower O2 sensors, but it still has an issue. After it cools down for 15-30 minutes, it's good, but still has the same issue.

Took it to Advance auto parts, and the diagnostic reveals a code of P1361 stating manufacturer control ignition system or misfire, followed by a P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold. I believe the second problem is caused bt the engine running rich due to the ignition problem.

So, do I need to repalce the individual coils on each plug? I just put those Bosch dual electrode pre gapped plugs in there, so now, focusiong on spark.

It'll run about 250 for all four, but better than messing with replacing them one at a time.

Anyone else have the same issue, or offer advice regarding the issue? Thanks in advance for any insight you might share.
Old 08-18-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Possible bad coil(s) code?

Well I had one or more of my coil packs go all funky and it didn't throw any codes. My wife blew the HG - I'm blaming her even though it was ultimately my fault - and it ran like doodoo after I changed it out. Racked my brain and decided to swap the coil packs on a whim (had an extra set), and it's run like a charm ever since. So. What does that mean? I would look for a used set before dropping $250 on all four. You can pick all four of them up for like $50 used, so I'd start there.
Old 08-21-2007
Registered!!

Judsonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Possible bad coil(s) code?

Thanks. The 1361 code listed on this site refers to an intermittent issue with the TDC sensor. Checked the harness, looked ok, wnet to honda and replaced it. Fretty easy. reset the computer, took it for a spin, seemed better (possibly wishful on my part, but the check engine light came on again. Will put the scanner on it again when I get off work. Dang.