Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Urgent help:stuck in rev cant put in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Urgent help:stuck in rev cant put in park

Ok so heres what happend,
I went to my gfs house this morn for breakfast...i parked in her driveway which is slightly on an incline but not really that bad.
I put the car in park...and tried to take the key out. The key wouldnt come out, which honestly isnt rare it always happens and usually i just put the car in nuetral and then put it back in park and it usually works and i can take the key out. When i tried to put it in nuetral it wouldnt budge, and the dash said i was in Rev...although the **** is in the park position. The car wouldnt start because it was stuck in rev btw. So to start it...i had to push in the shift lock release and put it in nuetral. And it started and i drove it home but if its in rev the shifter is in park, or if its in drive the shifter is in nuetral...basically they are off. And this means i cant put it in park...so the key is stuck in the ignition. I have no clue what to do...and i hope someone can help me with this so someone does come by and jack my car lol.
Any help will be greatly appriciated.
(ps sorry for grammer or spelling mistakes...im tired and uneducated lol)
Old 07-25-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Urgent help:stuck in rev cant put in park

woah man. you gotta take that **** to a shop. cause you gotta take that console off and figure out whats goin on under there
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

SepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura aboutSepulturaCivic has a spectacular aura about

This never did this, your scaring me. I wish there was just a way to get the key out, or to get it in park.
Anyone else know anything?
Old 07-25-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

well try moving the stick through the gears quickly and see if that will jog the cars memory
Old 07-25-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a sensor on the transmission that tells the ECU what position the shift lever is in. It sounds like that has either gone bad or is out of alignment.
Old 07-25-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

dont have an auto, but dont they have a shift lock release???
Old 07-25-2007
Registered!!

Hmmm...the odd thing is...the car runs fine...the trasmission doesnt slip or anything, it reverses smooth, the problem is...because the shifter is in the park position but the car is actually in reverse...i cant move the shifter up one more notch(Because there is no more room) to put it in park.
Old 07-25-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

yup, ur gonna have to take it in...
Old 07-25-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

The trans is physically in park but the ECU thinks its still in reverse so it wont let you take the key out. Its gotta be that sensor or something wrong with the harness.
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

Ahhh damn...alright haha...thanks...i got the key out, i had to disconnect the battery...atleast no-one will steal my car now haha.
As far as the shift lock...thats how i got the car outta rev the first time it got stuck...and thats how i have to move it from rev to nuetral/drive.
Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

BLK03EX2DR is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a little sensor that sits on top of the transmisson, it tells the ECM what gear you are in. Pretty much it shifted somehow (usually from rough action on the shifter; slamming it into park or first gear). can't remember off-hand but it's prolly held in by two 13mm bolts and is adjustable. you loosen the bolts and move the sensor till it reads what the tranny is physically in, my suggestion is put it in nuetral and adjust it til the dash reads nuetral. then tighten bolts and check that all the gears are right. I did this on one of the cars that came into the dealership but that was almost two years ago so I don't remember why. I think it went bad or something because the reverse lights wouldn't come on cuz I know that's one of the things it controls. I believe the harness is quite big and the shape of the sensor is like a right triangle or something. hope this helps or at least if you take it to a shop tell them to check that first if you're not all about crawling under the car/hood.
Old 07-30-2007
Registered!!

ancientpimp is an unknown quantity at this point

man, i cant figure out if you have an auto, but if you do, its your shift cable. I readjusted mine but i broke all four tabs that hold the console close to the shifter, lol. It started out intermittently, then after a few months its hard to get the key out just by wiggling the selector **** in park, so i adjusted the shift cable and now i can get the key out with no problems. hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2007
Registered!!

So any advice on how i can adjust that shift cable...? I dont mind doing the work myself...seeing as it will save me money.
Thanks