Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Deck lid not Latching

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperSajin is an unknown quantity at this point
Deck lid not Latching

Hey Guys,

My trunck lid won't latch when i shut it, i can pull up on it and open it. I have to slam it really hard brfore it will latch right. Has anyone else had this problem or how can i fix it. I took it to the dealer, they said they made some adjustments, but it still doesn't shut all the way. thanks.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
youll probably have to take it to the dealer again. i havent had that problem with mine (though maybe i should go and and make sure i cant open the trunk just by pulling up on it) you might be able to figure out how to fix it yourself by taking a look at where it latches and seeing if something is loose or out of place (but you might not be able too easily tell if something is out of place)
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
The locking mechanism is adjustible so the trunk top can be lined up correctly. The part that latches on should be able to move up and down. Take a look and you will probably be able to fix it yourself. It must have come loose.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

KevinFWB is an unknown quantity at this point
I have also had that problem. Thank you for the input, I thought maybe it was just me.
Old 03-25-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
I test drove one and it had that problem. The salesman slammed it really hard and it finally latched. I guess this is a somewhat common thing.

My Ride. R.I.P.
Old 03-25-2002
Registered!!

civicdootie is an unknown quantity at this point
Have the same problem... sometimes I have to close the trunk 2-3 times before latching.
Old 03-26-2002
Registered!!

Zolutar is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had this problem and I can tell you what causes it and how to fix it.
what it is is that the metal of the trunk lid is WEAK, the braceing underframe is weak as well. (remember crumple zones) even my 99 civic never had this issue.
one day the trunk just wouldnt close after bringing the Xmas tree home, drove with the trunk open, over a bump the rope snapped and slam the trunk goes on the tree, no damage...or so i thought till i tried to close the trunk. it wouldnt latch.
I realized it wasnt lining up anymore (top was poutward bout an inch) and pushed the bottom back in CAREFULLY and now it latches and lines up perfectly fine! I swear tin is stronger than that trunk lid.

Old 03-26-2002
Registered!!

SuperSajin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the imput, i had to get my car fixed because my best friend hit me with hi 2001 accord,the people who fixed it probrobly didn't line up the deck lid right
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Pedro Lopes is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have a hard time closing my trunk. I have to close it like 3 to 4 times before it actually latches. I'm also having another problem with my trunk. It seems like when I take off pretty quick, the light that says the trunk is opened goes on and stays on until I shift to 2nd gear and then if I punch it again in 2nd gear the light goes on again and then it stays off when I shift it to 3rd. It doesn't do it in 3rd,4th, or 5th gear. It seems to only be doing it when I take off pretty quickly. I gues what I'm trying to say is it does it when the front of the car goes up when I accelerate and the back of the car goes down, as soon as I let off the gas to shift the light turns off. I took it to the honda dealer where I bought the car and they replaced the whole latch system and the problem still continues. I have to tell them again next time I go for a oil change. I hope someone can help me with this. Oh by the way my car is a 2002 ex coupe. Thanks guys.