Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How do you remove the ECU???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k20EX is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you remove the ECU???

Im having a hell of a time removing my ECU from behidn the glove box. Can anyone let me know te best way to pull it out?? If I unplug the harnesses from the ECU, will it cause any problems (reset anything, immobilizer)?? Please chime in and let me know as soon as possible because I am sitting here trying to figure it out. THANKS!!!
Old 04-13-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: How do you remove the ECU???

I thinks its bolted down with less then three bolts.

I think its ok to unplug it...
Old 04-13-2007
Registered!!

k20EX is an unknown quantity at this point

ANyone know for sure what to do, and whats safe to do?? I have already removed the two bolts that hold it in, but I cant pull it out because it is such a tight fit. Anyone know for sure how to do this right?? And on another note, where on the ECU would I find out what ECU it came from(label/VIN number)??
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

mishima is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you found a way to pull it out? I followed the instructions in the Chilton's. All I need to do is pull it out, but there doesn't seem to be enough clearance.
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... his post was from 2007...
Old 05-15-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well, actually, he searched, and he is not posting a worthless solution to an old case, but rather posting a question on that, so I guess that is OK.
(that was the reason i said nothing when i saw this before - have been thinking which ones are flammable and which ones are not - this seems a legit question)

I believe twisting around the unit is enough to pull out.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Well, I've tried twisting it to pull it out every which way, but I haven't had any luck yet. If I can't get it out, I'll try to post a picture or two to better illustrate the problem.

Thanks for looking & your assistance!

Name:  IMAG0293.jpg
Views: 26474
Size:  92.2 KB

This is about as close as I could get it. The only thing I can think to do now is to remove that fan unit. I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

Last edited by mishima; 05-15-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Couldn't twist it out :(
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it hitting the metal bracket on the bottom? You may need to actually remove the bracket which holds the two relays. It's held on by four bolts I believe and comes out very easilly. The relays are on a seperate piece of metal that comes out easilly. After the steel bracket is out of the way you should be able to bend that wire out of the way enough to pull the ECU out. The plastic that sits in front of the steel bracket should just bend out of the way once the bracket is gone.

You can see the metal bracket behind the plastic in this picture:

Name:  Beneathglovebox.jpg
Views: 14607
Size:  31.3 KB
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Is it hitting the metal bracket on the bottom? You may need to actually remove the bracket which holds the two relays. It's held on by four bolts I believe and comes out very easilly. The relays are on a seperate piece of metal that comes out easilly. After the steel bracket is out of the way you should be able to bend that wire out of the way enough to pull the ECU out. The plastic that sits in front of the steel bracket should just bend out of the way once the bracket is gone.

You can see the metal bracket behind the plastic in this picture:

Yes, the metal bracket has been removed. I'll try moving some of the wires and bending that plastic.
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Well, that helped a little bit, but I still can't clear the left most bracket on the ecu.

Name:  IMAG0294.jpg
Views: 18178
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I think I see what your issue is.. that tiny little bracket in the back? You shoudl be able to wiggle er out... hmm.... I've honesetly never removed one but I have played back there quite a bit .. any way to put a little bend in the bracket that you would be able to bend straight when you go to put it back in?
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
I think I see what your issue is.. that tiny little bracket in the back? You shoudl be able to wiggle er out... hmm.... I've honesetly never removed one but I have played back there quite a bit .. any way to put a little bend in the bracket that you would be able to bend straight when you go to put it back in?
I don't know. It doesn't look like it, but it's really tight back there. This is getting really frustrating
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I'd use a little muscle and try to get it out .. I don't want you to wreck anything though when removing it though.. It should all make sense when you look at it. I don' think removing the fan assembly is necessary though... there is a way just take a breath and take a good look at it..
Old 05-15-2011
Registered!!

Victory!
Name:  IMAG0295.jpg
Views: 13217
Size:  148.7 KB

It was a pain to remove, but it did take a liberal amount of elbow grease...
The plastic part did need to bend quite a bit to get it out.

Thanks alot!

I hope this thread helps someone else with the same issue. I couldn't find anything else on the internet about it.
Old 05-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Figured it had to bend a bit but I didn't want to directly tell you to do it LOL... I'm glad you got it out!!
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

Haynes tells u to cut out the plastic. Thats wat I did.
Old 01-12-2017
Registered!!

mdurvesh is an unknown quantity at this point

how did you program key with ecu, dealers are charging $125
Old 01-12-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Go to the dealer...

Some locksmiths can do it but you'll have to call and ask