Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Squeak when I let off the brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tkrotchko will become famous soon enough
2003 Squeak when I let off the brake

I have a new/used 2003 Civic 4 door, and when I come to a stop, the brakes are fine, but when I release the brake, there is a squeak that isn't from inside, it's outside some place.

Any ideas of where I should look? My first thought is that it's the rear brakes, but I'm not sure. Does this car have drum brakes in the rear?

--Tom
Old 03-21-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 Squeak when I let off the brake

Check the front pads quickly !!

The "wear indicators" work just as you described. (scrape noise when brakes off, noise goes away when brakes applied.
Old 03-21-2007
Registered!!

twinbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Your car has rear brake drums. The noise you describe could be worn shoes.
Old 03-24-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough

have the same prob. everytime i release the brake pedal or hand brake, there is a squeak from the rear. i adjusted my rear shoes, and for the 2 days it was adjusted, the sound wasnt there, but now for some reason, it un-adjusted (well, the pedal goes back to the floor now....????) and the squeak is back
Old 03-24-2007
Registered!!

twinbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Your rear drums are self-adjusting so you shouldn't have to adjust them. The brake pedal going to the floor sounds like another problem. Maybe fluid issues?
Old 04-21-2007
Registered!!

darkhonda2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i signed on today for this exact problem. i just did a sound check at all four wheels, while someone pumped the brakes.

the noise only occurs upon relaseing the brakes, and never if the hand brake is engaged (even just a little)

is this the wear indicator as posted b4?
Old 04-21-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Does not sound like worn pads IMO.

When the wear indicators are working correct, they make an almost constant scrape noise (front only) when the car is moving and will stop making the noise when brakes are applied.

If you can get your rear hubs off you could try a bit of brake cleaner.
Old 04-22-2007
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

99% sure its the rear brake shoe contact points that are dry/dirty. Only sure cure is to remove brake shoes , clean backing plates and lube the contact points on each shoe. Then reassemble it all. Sometimes you can clean with brake clean and pull the shoe out enough to get some lube behind the shoe at those points, but please dont get any on the shoe material surface!
Old 05-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

i had this problem and it was the shoes were scraping the back of the drum plate. i lubed it and cleaned it b4 but it always came back. then i took it in and it was adjusted. the adjuster is part #17. it has to be clicked towards u i believe about 5-6 clicks at a time. then turn the drum (w/ the parking brake down and drum cover on) and kep adjusting until u get a lil resistance.