Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Alternator? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04_CIVIC_HFP is an unknown quantity at this point
New Alternator? Need Help

I was just trying to install a Air/fuel gauge in my car last night and I never got it to work. I hooked the power and ground up right but the last wire I tryed on the green wire on the O2 sensor. It didnt work. I said screw it and stoped with it.

I drove home allright no problems. Then the next mourning I was driving to workwhen I was almost to work my cd player goes out. Next the cluster. By the time I got to work it wouldnt start up again. I would have to have someone jump me to have it start. Me and my friend let my battery charge for a wile and it still wouldnt start.

After work it still wouldnt start. I tryed to push start it and it wouldnt work. (yes I know how to push start it. done it like 6 times) By this time im trying to jump start it and it ran fine untill like one minute later my same problems came back (cd player, gauges). I finally just drove it into a parkiing lot and just locked it up there. By the time I got to the parking lot, I had barely enough power to roll up the window.

I think it is the alternater because I can start the car and I can also recharge the battery (for a limited time). I hope someone could help me out with my problems and thanks.
Old 03-20-2007
Former Sponsor

Fueldoorfix is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Alternator? Need Help

If you have access to a volt meter just go across the bat. terminals. Start the car and see if it reads approx. 14.0 volts, if it reads approx 12 volts you know the alt. is not working.
Old 03-26-2007
Registered!!

nick82006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Alternator? Need Help

is your battery light on on the dash? Should be on along with the Check engine light? I had the same problem you did. My ALT was bad due to system overworking it. Now....i have an lx>>>EX exhaust swap, and iv had to cut/extend 02 sensor wires and i didnt wrap one of them up all the way, and it was hitting the chasis and grounding out which inturn made the ALT fuse blow under the dash, which causes ll sorts of **** to go wrong(gauges, lights, weird shifts in auto, eerything that has anything to do with electricty will freak out) check you 02 sensor wires.....Your alt may is fact be fine, just the fuse and that 02 sensor wire grounding itself out and fuse being blown.