Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rubbing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civ_nate is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Rubbing Wheels

Hey guys, I have a 2005 Honda Civic, bought a set of 17x7 konigs, with 205/40/17 tires on em. I took my wheels off for winter and noticed that the inside of 2 of em have some major rubbing on the lip, none on the tire, but the paint on the inside lip is rubbing every 6" or so and the stratched are is only about 2" long.... wondering if anyone has experienced this, knows how to fix it or even what it is hitting, cuz every now and then I head what sounds like a rattling noise from the passenger side of my car, dont know if it is front or back or even related tot he rubbing.... but i heard it. Also, in case it helps my car is dropped 2.5" front and 2" in back.... help me out guys!

Last edited by civ_nate; 12-04-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
OK you lowered the car; did you have the camber corrected by a wheel shop?

Camber example if your not aware:

If your rear tires look like the "Negative camber picture above then you need to have a shop set it as close as possible back to "Zero Camber".

If not then you'll have the inner edge of the tire getting bald faster than the outer egde; drastically shorting the life of the tires.

Also if the you already have zero camber and the rubbing is present on the outer edge of the tire; than the rear lip in the inside of the fender needs to be rolled upward or grinded down, or cut off. A wheel show should have rolled the lips on the fenders if you got the rims and tires from them; or at least offered the option.

Rear camber arms will be around $100.00
Front Camber bolts are $20.00 for 1 degree of correction. Usually thats all it takes.

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 12-04-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

ive had 2 allignments done this yr, my camber is perfect, that was the first thing i thought, i should said that. I also lifted car at shop and checked my camber kit, joint and whatnot, everyhitng is in good shape, not close to wheels and no signes of rubbing on them....
Old 12-04-2006

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Front or back?

How long did you ride on those tires before the camber kit was installed?

If it was the front wheels; did you see if they were rubbing anywhere on the inner fender wall?
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

cant tell if its front or back, to be honest it sounds like its in the middle, i droive without the camber kit and alignment for about 3 minuits...lol....and no i have not checked fenderwalls
Old 12-04-2006

For the rattling noise; I would check and see if if all the suspention mounting nuts and bolts are tight

As well at the nut at the top of the spring hats.

When I lowered my car the first time. I had a loose nut in the middle of the passenger spring hat and it had a rattle noise.

Well good luck, I don't think I help any further.
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

thanks man i appreciate it, but i still dont know whats rubbing on on wheels
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Buds302 will become famous soon enough
17x7 konigs, with 205/40/17 tires on em

thats why its rubbing
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

does that size wheels not fit right? cuz as far as i know 17x7 with 205's should be fine
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

has anyoe else had this problem?t
Old 12-04-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
why dont you just pop off a tire and look inside the fender to see what has rubber rubbed all over it...... ..... .... ... .. .
Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

for one... as it says above, the tire is not rubbing, its the wheel is... so i dont think anything would have rubber on it... also... as it says above, I had it lifted and nothing underneath shows signs of rubbing... but thank you
Old 12-04-2006
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
check to see (while the wheel is tightened down on the hub) if you can move it back and forth, or left and right, if so it could be a bad wheel bearing, in which case it could be moving and rubbing on a tie rod end or something, pics would be helpful for a better diagnosis...
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

i can post some of the wheel tonight, till be a while b4 i can get one of under the car
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

but thats a good idea, never thought of that, as i recently have felt liek i have a wheel loose or somthing, if the wheel bearing si gone then it would explain the rattling and whatnot