Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Exhaust Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrasher086 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Warranty

I was having a discussion with my friend about the warranty on a stock exhaust. I told him that the regular powertrain warranty will cover if anything goes wrong with the exhaust such as the catalytic converter goes bad or it loses some hinges and is rattling. He said that he believes that it is not covered by the powertrain warranty and it need the bumper to bumper warranty. Does anyone have an idea on if an exhaust is covered under what warranty?
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
remember that the powertrain warranty is your powertrain, engine, transmission, etc... so the exhaust is not covered under that warranty.

Now I believe honda uses a basic 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty which under that time anything is covered. after its your responsibility unless you have an extended warranty.

Now if I also remember, honda has a seperate emissions warranty which covers emission components for 8 yrs/80,000 miles. that be the cat coverter and all emissions components, purge valve, canister, etc...

But again it varies by manufacture. the car I work on have a 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty. everything is covered in that time, afterwards its on the customer.
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
remember that the powertrain warranty is your powertrain, engine, transmission, etc... so the exhaust is not covered under that warranty.

Now I believe honda uses a basic 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty which under that time anything is covered. after its your responsibility unless you have an extended warranty.

Now if I also remember, honda has a seperate emissions warranty which covers emission components for 8 yrs/80,000 miles. that be the cat coverter and all emissions components, purge valve, canister, etc...

But again it varies by manufacture. the car I work on have a 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty. everything is covered in that time, afterwards its on the customer.
Hum maybe that is why I was a bit confused since I have a feeling the exhaust system is covered. Are you sure about that emissions warranty? The reason my friend and I had the conversation is because I noticed my exhaust seems to make a rattle noise when it is warming up a bit. I also noticed when It is warmed up and I shut the car off for 15 minutes, It is still kind of warm so when I start the car thats when the rattle is loud but will go away after fully warmed. I am afraid of wasting a trip to Honda to find out I just have to give money away. Anyone can confirm the emissions warrenty? What should I do?
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
best bet is to take a look at your current warranty sheet.

What is your current mileage?
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

best bet is to take a look at your current warranty sheet.

What is your current mileage?
I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Auto and there is 54,000 miles on it. My bumper to bumper ran up in march and I have powertrain till march of 2008. I did see that Honda does have that 8 year/80000. That should cover any exhaust related issues. I have a feeling my cataliyic converter is beginning to get weak.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

no, the 8 yr/80,000 mile warranty is for emissions only. the only thing covered is the cat converter and any engine emission component, charcoal canister, purge valve, bypass valve, shut-off valve, etc... now if the cat has tooken a ****, then it should be covered. if its a different issue with the exhaust such as a craped muffler or what not, thats not covered.

remember that some OEM's seperate there warranties. you have a powertrain warranty for engine and tranny. a drivetrain warranty for driveshafts, etc...
emissions warranty for emission components. the exhaust is not an emission component.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

no, the 8 yr/80,000 mile warranty is for emissions only. the only thing covered is the cat converter and any engine emission component, charcoal canister, purge valve, bypass valve, shut-off valve, etc... now if the cat has tooken a ****, then it should be covered. if its a different issue with the exhaust such as a craped muffler or what not, thats not covered.

remember that some OEM's seperate there warranties. you have a powertrain warranty for engine and tranny. a drivetrain warranty for driveshafts, etc...
emissions warranty for emission components. the exhaust is not an emission component.
Ok thanks for the help. My mechanic did tell me that it looks like the cat converter is rusting out and may form a hole soon. I made an appointment for Friday so I hope I don't get any ****. I have a feeling they may blame my intake.