Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing power outlet cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SaiMizOp is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing power outlet cover

(I have an '02 Civic EX.)

I took my car in for one of those "touchless" car washes today. Well, it turned out not so touchless, after all. While they were cleaning the interior, they bumped the 12V power outlet (lower center console, in front of the shifter) so hard that they broke the cover off! I know it's a small thing but I was pissed, especially since I've actually only owned this car a couple of weeks.

I bought the car certified from a dealer so it's still under the 1-year non-powertrain / 7-year powertrain warranty, so I'm going to bring it back to them first to see if they'll just fix it for free. But, I doubt it counts as a "non-powertrain" repair.

If so, then I want to repair it myself because it just bugs me to not have the cover there but it is not worth paying the labor costs to have the dealer fix it. Can anyone tell me what specific part I should order? I can't seem to track it down on the Web. Also, does anyone have any instructions or pointers on how to replace that one part? Is it difficult or a pain?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I think you will need to replace the entire outlet complete. The cover is hinged to the housing.

Edit: I did notice that www.cheapesthondaparts.com shows the cap as a separate item.

I show 2 part #s for the outlet.

39632-S5A-A01 = USA & Canada Built
39624-SZ3-003 = Japan Built

Getting the broken outlet out will be a challenge (the new one will simply snap into place) You may need to use a Dremel tool or similar to grind the holding clips to remove the old outlet.

I recently removed my outlet and replaced with the ashtray and lighter accessory kit. I planned on moving the original outlet to another location. I have made attempts to remove the outlet from the panel but it is a super tight fit once it snaps into place.

Last edited by CraigW; 10-29-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-29-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i pried mine out with screwdriver, you just have to push the tabs in. its hard but possible. then they sell new socket assembly only.
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
just take up smoking, then buy an adapter..

nahh im just joking, smokers are for jokers...

If you're really gunna use it (i have never used mine at all, except for once.), just go to the dealer and order one.