Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

*******clicking Noise And Power Loss******

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civ_nate is an unknown quantity at this point
*******clicking Noise And Power Loss******

Okay im going to start by telling you that I went into see Honda about this problem b4 posting, and they are as useless as the nipples on a male cow.

I have noticed for a long time a approx. 20-30% power loss in my em2, it does not have very much pull anymore and 4th and 5th sucks even more then it usually did. I thought at first it might be my cat. converter but I had it checked it and it seems fine.

So I had a charging system test done as my fuel was cutting off when the throttle was wide open and my dash lights where lighting up like an xmas tree, and it came up low charging altenator. My alt. is only pushing 75amps and my car should be 110 to my understand as I have a/c.

Has anyone else had this problem, maybe due to my stereo, becuase mine is quite demading [ approx. 700W peak ], and if so would a larger cranking amp gel battery work to fix it or maybe rebuild my alt, better grounds, any ideas?

Secondly I am hearing a loud clicking noise, soulnd similar to an axel, but apparently Honda says it does not sound that way, but of course they dont know what it might be, they said it sound sliek my brake pads, which i replaced about 5000km ago and the shims are fine.

It clicks quite loud when I back up or go forward, after the cluch is all the way out and only starting from a dead stop or starting in 2nd gear from very slow.

My guesses are an axel maybe, or my rotors becuase I drilled out the screwes as they were seased on and i had to in order to install my brembo rotors, they may be shifting but I cannot see that either as they should be presse don by my wheels.

I know for sure this is not my tranny as all the bearings were replaced recently.

any ideas/imput will be appreciated?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

russo-r34 is an unknown quantity at this point
For your second problem, refer to mechanical forum 1 sticky, for manual tranny noises, it sound exactly like ur input shaft bearing is gone......

good luck
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

like i said above, my imput shaft bearing is fine, i was replced along with my throwout bearing and ALL other bearing by honda approx. 5 - 10 xxx kms go, if its gone alreay, this would be the second time in 60xxxkms and i have much larger problems then the clicking lol.... damn hondas
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

russo-r34 is an unknown quantity at this point
for the loss of power try checking your ground wiring
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

Which grounding wire?,

I already have redone my grounds with 4g for my stereo, also I am going to daisy loop my coils tonight and my thermostat with 4g, and when I can buy more 4g Im going to do my alt/fuse panel/frame loop with 4g, anythign else that would be worth while?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

i dont think the grounds are going to change the problem, for the power loss, i think rebuilding the alt. and/or a stereo battery, aka bigger cranking amp gel battery would probably fix it, i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem or fixed this problem b4 like this. if not then any other ideas that will work.
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

gstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, I think your alternator is on its way out. Check that out first.
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

i know man thats what i said above, my altenator is only charging 75 amps instead of 110amps, meaning it is f***ed, and i dont really wanna spend 450 to replace it when i can make it work with something else, like rebuilding it, or replaceing the brushes.
im wondering if thier may be a problem other then the ones i stated above, something common that others have experienced.

Last edited by civ_nate; 10-02-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
clicking sounds like possibly the brake pads shifting up and down. Is it a click, click, click as you start off then goes away when lightly touching the brakes? do you have any vibrations while applying the brakes?
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

thats exactly what its like, but it does not go away when i hit the brakes perminantly, only until i come to a stop again. no vibrations or anything that i can feel so far.

Last edited by civ_nate; 10-03-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2006
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
im thinking it is a rotor. i work with brakes in my shop alot. and usually when we have a noise come in like that we resurface if able to do and the ticking usually goes away. if it doesnt it couild be a bad input bearing. i know i know u just replaced them. sometimes S!@# goes wrong on cars quick sometimes not. and i wouldnt worry about grounding out everything until you have had your alteernator thouroughly checked. that cold be loss of power.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

the rotors are brand new brembo rotors installed about 2 wks ago, this sound has happened for several months now. but ti may be the shims on the pads, i dunno. Also i ave had the altnator checked and it is bad, but tis not toast, only weak, so im thinking re-grounding may make it work a bit earier. As for the input bearing, i know what that sounds like, and i know that is not what ti is, i am 110
% positive. tks for the input though!
Old 10-25-2006
dru
Registered!!

dru is an unknown quantity at this point
im actually hearing the same noises on my girls 03 civic coupe..... its an auto and when you reverse or stop then go forward you hear this click noise not constant *click*click* its a quick sharp noise *click-click* maybe coming from one side but IT HEARS like its from both sides. we replaced the brake pads and its still making that noise.... has anyone came to conclusion what this noise is?
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
i have the same problem, just the brake pads hitting the brackets when forwarding or reversing
Old 10-25-2006
dru
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
i have the same problem, just the brake pads hitting the brackets when forwarding or reversing

is this a problem? i mean will this hurt anything??? or is it just hearing the annoying click noise when reversing and forwarding (not constant everytime though)
Old 10-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
no thats not a major problem. To be sure, just open ur brakes and check if all shims, brackets, and pads are secure. Did you buy OEM brake pads, or aftermarket?
Old 10-26-2006
dru
Registered!!

i know all of u are going to say WHY!? but i bought what was in my budget at the time... which was the lifetime brakes at autozone.