Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car stalled...why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Car stalled...why??

2002 automatic

left the car running, stepped out (car was in D with parking brake on) for 3 mins. come back in and see everything is still on (lights/radio) but the car was off. Started back up a1 no problems. I thought it mighta been the air filter cuz it was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it...but anyone know what the problem mighta been?
Old 09-30-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
my guess is habbit... and without realizing it you figured that leaving the car in drive with the brake on is a stupid thing to do so you turned it off...

if you wanna argue that you didnt turn it off... then well.. yer an idiot and i hope yer car is broken forever... i dont need your stupidity killing anyone i know...
Old 09-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k4coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
why would you leave the car in d and put the parking brake!!
Old 09-30-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
psst what else would you do, put it in park? right.
Old 09-30-2006
Pinkslip Racer

whats the worst that can happen with putting the parking brake on with the car still in D?? i do it about 150 times a night...(and im not joking either..) ??

btw...ive been doing this for the past 2 months...thats about 9000 times ive done it and still havent noticed anything different...

Last edited by karizzle; 09-30-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well once the parking brake cable gets loose enough, the car can start driving away. have fun
Old 09-30-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by gearbox
well once the parking brake cable gets loose enough, the car can start driving away. have fun
couldn't i jusr re-tighten it if that were to happen? im pretty sure i saw a DIY on this site...but thats all? from the first guy's reponse he made it sound like my car would blow up or something...
Old 09-30-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
why do you do it so much?
Old 09-30-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
your car blowing up is the least of his problems. The problem is your ebrake may accidently fail causing the car to roll and potentially hit someone/something. Or your car may freakishly start revving because of a throttle problem and move anyways.

Thats why.. you should just put it in neutral...
Old 10-01-2006
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
put it in park you friggin idiot

once yer car screws up and takes off on yer stupid ***, rolls through an intersection and kills half a family its going to be a lil late to adjust the cable

i hope a bear eats yer stupid ***
Old 10-01-2006
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RHCP0801
why do you do it so much?
sounds like hes a delivery guy...pizza maybe...

is it really that much effort to put it into park and drive i mean come on...
Old 10-01-2006
Premium Member

ya N is right next to D all you do is tap the shifter up one. you dont even need to squeeze the button.
Old 10-03-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Originally Posted by againifall
put it in park you friggin idiot

once yer car screws up and takes off on yer stupid ***, rolls through an intersection and kills half a family its going to be a lil late to adjust the cable

i hope a bear eats yer stupid ***
why the would my car roll thru an intersection? i dont use it at lights. i do deliveries with my car, but its newspaper deliveries. and the times it takes me from going from D to P, after 200 times a night, actuall does add up and makes the difference between me finishing late and on time (since i usually finish RIGHT on time) and i did used to put my car in N, but then when i put it back in D i have to wait an extra second, or two, before i push the gas, otherwise the car will have a nasty kick. and as i said, those 2 seconds actually add up
Old 10-03-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not going to be an @$$, but seriously, you have to take the time to release the ebrake, isn't that about the same amount of time it would take to put it back in drive from park?? You really shouldn't be leaving it in gear unattended. As a matter of fact, if there isn't a law against this, there should be. Your car will eventually hurt someone or destroy something. I suggest you purchase a new car with a manual transmission to break yourself of this habit.

Alternatively, if you leave your windows open, and dive into the car, rather than taking the 3 seconds required to open the door and get in, you will save yourself one second per stop. All those single seconds add up.

Ok, so I did end up being an @$$, sorry.

Last edited by AmbulanceMonkee; 10-03-2006 at 01:35 AM.