Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

One touch window button and axle boot

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
One touch window button and axle boot

Alright guys, I did a quick search and come up with little.

My one touch down button on my driver's window is working sporatically? Any DIY fix it?

Also, is it easier to replace the whole axle or the outside boot? Can I replace the boot with standard tools? I know replacing the boot is cheaper so give me some DIY stuff here....

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
replace the outside boot. what year car? Do you still have warranty. I just got my right boot replaced @ honda.
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well look at it this way, you still have to knock the axle out of the hub before you replace the boot anyway so once you get there, replacing the axle will take less time then replacing the boot.

as with the one touch probably need a new switch.
Old 09-17-2006

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by streetglower
well look at it this way, you still have to knock the axle out of the hub before you replace the boot anyway so once you get there, replacing the axle will take less time then replacing the boot.

as with the one touch probably need a new switch.
Uh, I've been out of warranty for years now...check the date I started here

Thanks streetglower...any DIYs?
Old 09-17-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you can open up the switch box and see if that tiny plastic piece came off its place, or just get a new one off ebay. but open it first to check it could be easy fix
Old 09-17-2006

Originally Posted by gearbox
you can open up the switch box and see if that tiny plastic piece came off its place, or just get a new one off ebay. but open it first to check it could be easy fix
Pull the handle off and look at it? What tiny plastic piece?
Old 09-17-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you have to open the actual control box. then youll see all the pieces, just make sure they look like they should by comparing to the other ones. you'll see when you open it.
Old 09-17-2006
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
Replacing the CV boots isnt that hard just really messy. It took me a couple hours to do both drive shafts.
Old 09-19-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
if the boot is torn you might as well replace the axle as there really isn't anyway of knowing how long it's been exposed (getting particulate and dirt and water in it) unless you were counting the days or saw it get torn or you tore it working on the car (highly unlikely) but its safe to say you should just replace the axle....
Old 09-19-2006
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
Thats why you take them apart to inspect them for wear and foreign particles. I wouldnt replace an axle cause of a torn boot unless it had at least 70k on it or if it was worn.
Old 09-19-2006

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
if it ain't broken don't fix it man.....I dunno who else takes their boot off jsut to check if its got stuff inside....not flaming ya I'm just kinda confused as to your logic behind opening the boot...if a visual inspection doesn't show any tears...there isn't a reason to open it up.
Old 09-19-2006
Premium Member

NO NO NO you dont understand... When the boot is ALREADY torn you have to take the axle apart to replace it. This is when you inspect the CV joint to see if it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't replace one unless it needed it. If it sounded like I said tear your perfectly good axles apart DONT! lol.
Old 09-19-2006

Originally Posted by dopes6070
NO NO NO you dont understand... When the boot is ALREADY torn you have to take the axle apart to replace it. This is when you inspect the CV joint to see if it needs to be replaced. I wouldn't replace one unless it needed it. If it sounded like I said tear your perfectly good axles apart DONT! lol.

no most likely I read it wrong...sorry. thanks for at least clarifying hehe....
Old 09-20-2006

alrighty folks, thanks for the help. Here is some clarification.

The boot is torn near the metal ring that keeps it attached to the hub. It was a small hole. It took me awhile to find it, but I sealed it with black RTV and it stopped leaking for awhile. Now I only get a little bit of grease here and there. I doubt there is that much particulate in there because the tear was really small and has been mostly sealed. The axle has 62k on it.

Again, I need a DIY for replacing the boot or changing the axle if anyone has them! Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006
Premium Member

Well here is how to pull the axle.
1. Take the center cap out of the wheel
2. Leaving car on the ground break the 32mm axle nut loose with a breaker bar.
3. Break the lug nuts loose
4. Lift the car and take off the wheel
5. Drain the transmission fluid
6. Remove the sway bar endlink from the LCA
7. Remove the nut securing the lower ball joint
8. Use a ball joint removal tool to press the lower ball joint out of the LCA
9. Remove the outer CV joint from the knuckle.
10. Using a large flat head screwdriver pop the axle out of the transmission being very careful not to damage the transmission seal.
11. Pull the axle straight out and replace the boot.
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

typeblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto window option:

Found these directions on a fog lamp install manual for 7th gen civics :

Whenever the battery is disconnected, the driver’s window AUTO function is disabled.
To re-enble:
1-Start the engine, push down on the drivers window switch until the window is fully open
2-Pull up on the drivers window switch to close the window completely then hold the switch for 2 seconds or more.
3-Lower and raise the driver’s window to check operation of the drivers window AUTO function.

hope this helps

Last edited by typeblue; 09-20-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2006
Premium Member

For the boot:

1. Cut the 2 bands holding the boot in place.
2. Cut the boot off.
3. Wipe as much of the grease off the joint as possible.
4. Put a rag around the axle and put it in a vice.
5. Use a mallet or soft hammer to tap the CV joint off the axle shaft.
6. Since you probably didn’t have much contamination at all I wouldn’t worry about taking the CV joint apart.
7. Just clean it up as good as you can with rags.
8. Slide the boot onto the axle with both bands in place.
9. Replace the clip on the axle that holds the CV joint in place.
10. Fill the CV joint with the bag of CV grease that comes with the boot.
11. Slide the CV joint into place and tap it with the mallet on the threaded end to seat it.
12. Slide the CV boot into place over the joint.
13. Make sure you let any excess air out of the boot.
14. Using CV boot band tool crimp the 2 bands.

Put it all back together and look forward to 50000 more miles.
Old 09-25-2006

For the boot:

2. Cut the boot off.
6. Since you probably didn’t have much contamination at all I wouldn’t worry about taking the CV joint apart.
11. Slide the CV joint into place and tap it with the mallet on the threaded end to seat it.

Thanks bro!!
Old 09-25-2006
Premium Member

NP
Old 09-25-2006
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
For the boot:

2. Cut the boot off.

He explained both, he is good

I have done both and will never replace a boot again. I would rather pay for the whole axle than have to clean all that grease. After you do the boot, you will think the same. Its just a little more money and both boots are new and the axle has zero miles on it and way less hassle.
Old 09-25-2006
Premium Member

ya you should have a whole roll of paper towles ready for the grease. It is very messy. When I was quoted for a driveshaft it was like $250 so I did the boot for $20. Im a cheap ***
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Around here the rebuilt ones go for about $70 and the boot $20.