Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Anyone else needed a new tranny and engine mount yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
Anyone else needed a new tranny and engine mount yet?

I pulled in my garage the other day and felt the car start shaking, but I was already home so I just shut it off. Next morning I get up and it still does it. Today I take it to my shop and the shaking is getting pretty bad. It basically shakes to no end when you are idling (I have an automatic). Mechanic tells me I need a new trans and engine mount, the rubber ones. 220 for parts plus 200 labor. OUCH.

My car basically needs at least one repair a year. Whether it be transmisison, tie rod end, new strut, and now this, its sounding like a lemon. I ask my mechanic how something like this could have happened. He said it's from driving the car too hard.

Well I'll admit I used to drive it hard, but I having been doing it for the past couple of years. I'm sure all of you drive your cars hard too. Anyone else had this problem yet or am I the only one.

car is a 2001 ex with 83k miles.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
Rubber cracks when grease, oil, and dirt gets on it. Its nothing different. Motor mounts arent that bad do it your self. Get a good ratchet set.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

civic_si_06 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i had to replace my motor mounts and tranny mounts at bout 50k...bought sum 20 dollar inserts and slaped them on...really stiff feel ...lots of vibration....good throttle response...after that my tranny started acting up...sounded like a bad bearing in the tranny lots of whinning and chatting in low RPMS in 1st and 2nd gear....
Old 09-14-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
I hav an 04 EX tranny in my garadge now...

gona install real soon.

I need a new clutch & half shafts too.

fun fun fun!!!
Old 09-14-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I broke the tranny mount a couple months ago. I don't know what the AT one costs, but the MT one was less than 60 bucks and goes in and out in an hour.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Where is the tranny mount located?
Old 09-15-2006
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
I need the one on the left right next to the battery, but below. I also need the one next to the place where u fill up the power steering fluid. I looked on Majestic Honda and the parts were like 40 and 100 respectively, plus shipping. The guy is charging me 200 for parts, probably generic I'm guessing but I'll take it if I can have my car back on Monday instead of waiting a week to get that part. Any way I can prevent it happening again like spraying something? I know, I sound ghetto don't I. Also anything thats THAT important for my car, especially in the engine bay, I don't like to mess with.

does $200 sound like too much labor for just two mounts? The more I think about it, the more I think I'm getting majorly ripped off. I knew I shouldnt have gone to a spanish mechanic when I'm not spanish, it doesn't matter how nice he is.

Last edited by Aznnp77; 09-15-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
A motor mount is just simply put a peice of metail with a rubber insides. Its not hard to do seriously. Just support the engine and or trans when you are going to take the mount off with a floor jack and a piece of wood. For example

I just did my trans I had the engine being held with the two jack stands and a piece of wood and 1, yes one motor mount attached. The other two were off, and I was shaking the engine / trans assembly to get it wiggled off. Dont worry, just support it and youll be fine.