Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Daytime running light issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006
Bushido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Daytime running light issues

My daytime running lights (drl) work sometimes and sometimes they do not.

The times where they don't work the drl light on the cluster lights up and a buzzing sound is heard.

This can happen when the car starts up or in the middle of driving.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
I need to know the car type, year. Yeah. I dont think civics have DRL.
Old 08-31-2006
Bushido

It is a 2001 Civic Coupe, Si model (Ex model in America)

I am from Canada...I guess it is mandatory for all cars to have drls.

Not sure about America though.
Old 08-31-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
Do they turn on at all when you start the car or do they flicker. If they flicker that means they are getting power but losing ground or hot. Try reseating all the relays and checking ground connections.
Old 08-31-2006
Bushido

They do turn on.

The problem occurs occasionally, it happens while driving. When the drl indicator lights up, the driver side light is very dim and the passenger side is off completely.

How do I reset the relays? I will check the grounding this weekend.
Old 08-31-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
There are some other threads on this subject, Not sure if anyone posted the fix or not.

I have the wiring info for the models with DRL that I have sent to some members here (if anyone needs it PM with E-Mail address and I will send it)

I was thinking that someone told me it was poor solder connections inside of the DRL module. If so that is a quick and simple fix.
Old 01-17-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Daytime running light issues

Attached files for reference.

01-03 Models only !
Old 02-11-2012
Registered!!

chien510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Daytime running light issues

hi anyone i have honda civic 2006 coupe Dx some think wrong with my car went i pull down the hand brake then the daytime light working only pasenger side then in side my dashb the light pop up DRL i dont know what happ wiht it can anyone know can me for that tell what is mean DRL can anyone know please help Can Email me the contruction to repaid chiencali26@hotmail.com
Old 02-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chien510
hi anyone i have honda civic 2006 coupe Dx some think wrong with my car went i pull down the hand brake then the daytime light working only pasenger side then in side my dashb the light pop up DRL i dont know what happ wiht it can anyone know can me for that tell what is mean DRL can anyone know please help Can Email me the contruction to repaid chiencali26@hotmail.com
The DRL warning light on the dash meant that there is a problem with the DRL's. Fix the high-beam headlight that is out.
Old 08-10-2013
Registered!!

Alaaalouf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone I'm new here and don't know much about cars however I'm quickly learning from the problems I have has. I have a 2001 Honda civic with a daytime running lights problem. I have a light on my dash that is sensing the problem. Sometimes there is a sound coming from passenger side behind glove box. Every time I take it to a mechanic problem goes away and no one fixes it. I have decided to do it myself. I have read some advice on soldering the module but after going to the source of where the sound is coming from which I found to be a little module that looks like an electrical plug. I have some questions
Would problem be fixed if I replace this module or do I have to soldier the main box?
Could I fix the module that I have taken out?
Have picture but won't let me add them

Last edited by Alaaalouf; 08-10-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Trying to upload photo
Old 08-10-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

IF you are capable of soldering, then you can fix your old unit for FREE (or nearly free).

If you are not capable of soldering, then I guess you have to buy another DRL control unit. $$$ Couple hundred McDoubles?

No matter the year of the car, the DRL control modules all develop very similar problems. The repair is essentially the same for all of them I have dealt with IMO.

http://bit.ly/14hH3rp

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1420& transactionid=1376160240-98214246123&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=D8hYsPYEzas[/autostream]

Old 08-10-2013

$125 @ TorontoHondaParts.com? http://torontohondaparts.com/Part.as...=38260-SM4-C03

Free always sounded better to me.
Old 08-13-2013
Registered!!

2001CivicDx is an unknown quantity at this point

I had that problem, pretty much just follow the youtube video above, and take out that circuit. On the circuitboard, you will see some soldering joints have cracks at the base, so you will need a soldering iron and reapply some solder on the joints. Seems like a lot of civics have this problem, I've seen many 7th gens on the road without DRL's on. Note that your DRL won't come on until you release your parking brake.
Old 03-22-2014
Registered!!

chaufschild is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there. i have a 2002 honda civic LX and was having problems with my DRL not working.. the indicator light would stay on and the lights wouldnt turn on unless i manually turned the headlights on.
i watched the you tube videos on how to solder the relay,, but when i took it apart i didnt see barely any cracks. we soldered a few for the heck of it.. and when we put it back together , turned the key, and released the e-brake, the DRL went off for one sec - then came back on.. we blew the fuse...

has anyone else had this problem? i dont want to pay $150 for a part when my car is 12 years old.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 03-22-2014

^^ Did you bridge over (short) some solder joints by chance ??
Old 04-11-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

I just re-solder the joints on my DRL. Some of the joints has hair line cracks on them. Check the before and after pic. The DRL is mount just above the hood release lever. It has the BLUE connector.

Before

After solder joints

DRL Installed