Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squealing whistle off throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
krazydriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Squealing whistle off throttle

okay guys this is a weird one.
I have an '02 EX sedan. NO engine mods at all.
It's finally warmer in NY so now i'm driving around with my windows down and i have an intermittent problem where when i get on the throttle i will hear a squealing/whistling sound, its hard to hear when starting off but when i shift as the RPMs drop it's really noticeable.
I'll hear about three whistly squeals on average. I've tried it revving the engine in neutral and it does it(RPM up and down). I've tried it with the clutch out and it does it(up and down).
But it doesn't always do it consistently, so i haven't a clue what the heck it is.
If anyone can help it would be great.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
One of two things, IMO.

The belts are squealing from time to time.
----solution: get a bar of soap and while the engine is running hold it against the grooved side of the belt and the squealing will stop.

The worst case.
---- The altenator is going bad. When mine went out due to a bad factory install making the belt to tight; the bearing housing started to go bad. I got this high pitch squealing sound. But, My sound was consistant.
Old 05-19-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
most likely you need new belts
Old 05-20-2006
Registered!!

i'd figured it might have been the belts but it isn't like a belt squeak, it really sound like more of a whistly something?? i know this isn't a good explanation but it's kind of an odd sound.
i have some belt dressing stuff, so i'll check them out tomorrow and take care of that to make sure it's not the belts.

yup it's the belts. I feel kinda dumb... i shoulda figured it out myself, it just didn't sound like the belt squeak my old car had. i just juiced em with belt stuff and they work great now.
thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by krazydriver; 05-20-2006 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-21-2006
The Rice Machine

02civicricer is on a distinguished road
its the VTEC kicking in lol...jk
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

i wish it was a secret turbo but yeah....
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

SilverVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
check your airbox(i know its stock) for leaks, you never know...something could have come loose...
Old 05-21-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
^actually that was a recall
Old 05-23-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SilverVTEC
check your airbox(i know its stock) for leaks, you never know...something could have come loose...
read two posts above... it's fixed now.. he said it was the belts.