Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New to the site and need some serious help on my 2001 door locks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler is an unknown quantity at this point
New to the site and need some serious help on my 2001 door locks.

Hello everyone, found my way here from Honda-Tech. I couldn't get the answers pertaining to my 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe so I was pointed here where it is all about this year car. I picked up this car about a week or so ago and it was a salvage car that had been reconditioned. Only problem I haven't worked through so far is the door locks Fuses are good, I can hear some kind of activation click under the dash so I know a signal is coming from the switch in the door. I can lock them manually with a key or by hand but not off the switch or key FOB. I have it at the audio shop getting my stereo stuff swapped over from my 98 but they can't track it down to one piece. From what they told me on the phone today it is like one piece that encompasses everything so just changing out a module may not be an option. Hate to spend mega bucks going to the Honda dealer so I hope someone here may know why these things aren't working.
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

01civicexboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a problem I had. The door would lock with the key, but when you tried to elctronically lock it wouldn't work. There is an actuator inside the door that went bad. Try replacing that. It is like 8 bucks so it isn't that pricy and that was from a Honda Dealer.

Let me know if it is something else..
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

Couple of questions for you.

Does each door have one of these? Do you have a part number for it? Any information on what I tell the guy at the counter I am looking for if not? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Is it not working for both doors? If it is I dont think its the actuators.
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you already know about Majestic, disregard this post. If you don't know about them, they are a good resource for parts. They have a lot of exploded views of our cars that can be very helpful when you need to take something apart or order things...here's the page for your door locks.
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

Both are not working. The guy at the audio shop said sometimes when the driver's side doesn't work it disables the passenger too. Any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Its not the actuators, its something else.
Old 03-17-2006
Registered!!

Not much else in there then is their?

Anyone have a schematic with the wiring and components?
Old 03-18-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DDragon7
Its not the actuators, its something else.

its a honda
Old 03-18-2006
Registered!!

^^Better then Ford/GM/Crysler.
Old 03-18-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I will access the 01 info today at the library and print it out for you. I have it for 03 but not sure if any differences.
Old 03-18-2006
Registered!!

Trying to avoid taking to Honda if at all possible. They wan't $99 for an electrical diagnostic then hourly shop rate to fix it plus parts. I can see it turning into a $500 job real quick if I can't figure it out. I can go to the Junk Yard and get damn near all the electrical pieces in the circuit and just keep swapping until I get the right one for half what they would charge in the end.
Old 03-18-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DDragon7
^^Better then Ford/GM/Crysler.

lol true.....my dads GMC has cought on fire, starter has died like 5 times, fans stop working, electrical ****, breaks always *** up.......

american juuuuuuunk
Old 03-18-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 01civicexboy
Sounds like a problem I had. The door would lock with the key, but when you tried to elctronically lock it wouldn't work. There is an actuator inside the door that went bad. Try replacing that. It is like 8 bucks so it isn't that pricy and that was from a Honda Dealer.

Let me know if it is something else..
Did you replace your actuator only? Every thread I've seen has said to change the entire lock assembly bc no one knew how to replace just the actuator. If you did it yourself, post up!
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

I haven't replaced any of it yet. In looking at the schmatic I don't see a relay. Just the door switch, actuator and a multiplex unit. Do you have some of the links on the lock you are talking about?
Old 03-19-2006
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.

blackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant futureblackBDMcivicLX has a brilliant future
You can goto majestic honda (link is in an above post) and get the lock assembly. There is a diy for replacing the assembly on here, so you just have to get the assembly and replace. Thats if its the actuator thats the problem. I have an 01 lx and both door locks have crapped out on me. I'm in no hurry to fix mine yet though bc my key fob for the remote lock unlock is broken too.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

mykicks007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intercooler, my actuators went bad in both doors just about at the same time, I ordered the parts from the dealer, about $ 25 each, and i replace them myself. Not to hard for a DIY'er.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
I've been having a similiar problem but my locks will lock w/ the switch but won't unlock for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's the switch cause they lock and unlock w/ my alarm and key but i'm too lazy to take the door panel apart
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
I HAVE THE SAME exact problem as you.. People have told me it might be the actuator as well. It could be...
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
i actually decided to check out my locks and in turns out my switch is working just fine. So now i'm kind of stumped, i'm thinking there's an open somewhere but i'm gonna print out a wiring diagram and see what's up.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Anyone have the part numbers for the actuator assemblies for a 2001 EX Coupe?

Ordered new actuators from Majestic today:

72155-S5P-A11 ACTUATOR ASSY., L. FR. DOOR LOCK 1 $17.72 $17.72
72115-S6A-J11 ACTUATOR ASSY., R. FR. DOOR LOCK 1 $17.45 $17.45

Hope to put them in this weekend and see if it fixes the problem

Last edited by Intercooler; 03-20-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
good luck on figuring out how to remove the old actuators from the door locking assembly. when my driver actuator went, I just ordered the whole door locking assembly for about $40. I couldnt figure out how to remove the acutator from the door lock. if you do, let us know. also check out my DIY on replacing them.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by streetglower
good luck on figuring out how to remove the old actuators from the door locking assembly. when my driver actuator went, I just ordered the whole door locking assembly for about $40. I couldnt figure out how to remove the acutator from the door lock. if you do, let us know. also check out my DIY on replacing them.
Maybe I ordered the wrong things then. It didn't show a complete assembly. What was the part numbers? What were the symptoms when yours went out? I also can't find the your DIY on them.
Old 03-20-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I sent the parts info I have for the coupe to your E-Mail. Not very clear but may be of help.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

Craig,

Thanks for all your help. I wonder if the other guy can point us to his DIY?
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
i have heard numerous times that the thing that controls the remote lock on our cars is in the stock headunit itself. i have the same exact problem and it happened right after i installed my subs and amp to my stock headunit. ever since then they havent been working. just my 2cents
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

I had the problem before changing the radio though. The schematic Craig sent me doesn't have any of the radio stuff in its circuit.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by caquinde
i have heard numerous times that the thing that controls the remote lock on our cars is in the stock headunit itself. i have the same exact problem and it happened right after i installed my subs and amp to my stock headunit. ever since then they havent been working. just my 2cents
I remember hearing something about that, too, but I think that it was an issue with the previous generation Civic, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=162006

here is the DIY on the door actuators. actually it is for the door lock assembly, again I didnt know how to replace just the actuators.

Originally Posted by Intercooler
Maybe I ordered the wrong things then. It didn't show a complete assembly. What was the part numbers? What were the symptoms when yours went out? I also can't find the your DIY on them.

when my driver door went out, I was at court. when I tried to lock the car with the remote, nothing happened. I had to manaully lock it with the key. also with the button in the car wouldnt lock or unlock the driver door.
Old 03-24-2006
Registered!!

Since I only have the actuators coming (should be here today) I guess I will be the test mule to try just replacing them. I will head over to the audio shop tomorrow to have them pull the door panels to deaden my x-overs and why the doors are apart I will try to figure out what needs done to get JUST the actuators off and take pictures with my digital camera. Your write-ups are great!

Quick Reply: New to the site and need some serious help on my 2001 door locks.