Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Changed Headgasket Car turns but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicstreetrcr is an unknown quantity at this point
Changed Headgasket Car turns but wont start

Hey I just changed the Head gasket On my 02 Civic because coolant was getting into the cylinder. Now the problem is that it wont start. I pulled a spark plug out and theres fuel there. I tried to see if i got a spark while turning over and i didnt. One thing i notice is some noise coming out from where the ECU is located that i never heard before, this sounds almost like a turning signal relay. Another thing i nopticed was that my STARTER was letting out some smoke . I dont know Hopefully someone can help. Thank You
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
how long are you cranking the engine for? If you continually crank the engine, you will burn up the starter. Now did you hook up the crank sensor when you reinstalled everything. its the sensor down by the crank gear. you had to remove it when you removed the timing belt in order to do the headgasket. if that is disconnected, you wont get any spark.

You need to make sure you re-installed all sensors. you had one at the crank, one at the top of the side cover which is the TDC sensor. proably some others.

If those are fine, scan the ECU for any trouble codes, then if thats fine, check for fuel pressure and again for spark. but since you said you had no spark makes me believe the crank sensor was left disconnected.

Now I assume the car is cranking correct?
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the relays that you heard clicking need to be replaced.
Old 03-07-2006
Registered!!

Whats up gearbox. I have an update today I changed one of the those things that hook up tp the to the spark plug.I also cleaned and sanded all my grounding bolts to get rid of build up and I now get a strong spark on all cylinders tha car takes a few spins before it starts but atleast its not dead. Car runs good Now my last problem is that it wont rev past 3500RPM I will be buying a new Fuel filter tommorrow I double checked the timing and it was perfect. Im between a rock and a hard spot right now so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by civicstreetrcr; 03-07-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
okay looks like a bad coil then. do you have a code reader or can drive to the store to get someone to read it? engine light has to be on. it might be something dumb from before, and you could try pulling the battery to reset it...but if i were you have the code read in case its a problem.
Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

I went to autozone to get a free scan. The guy said I had 50 codes! I think he said that all the sensors had errors. Has that happened to anyone?
Old 03-09-2006
Premium Member

did you replace the relays near the ecu yet? i bet something isn't working right and that is causing the ecu not to send info to the sensors.
Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

No not yet. Im going to lincol tech so my cousin can hook up to one of their readers. I also noticed theres alot of people on here that have similar problem but does anyone have a solution or actually got it fixed?
Old 03-09-2006
Premium Member

well the rpm revving problem is due to the engine light being on. i can just unplug my intake air temp sensor and the car wont go over 4k rpms. its the ecu protection saying something is wrong so it has to limit the rpm.
Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

*UPDATE*
Turns out the guy at auto bullshitted me . At lincoln tech the CKP sensor has an electrical malfunction. Is that the crank sensor?
Old 03-09-2006
Premium Member

Old 03-10-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
you said your starter was smoking? might want to get that checked out too.
Old 03-10-2006
Registered!!

(starter)It stopped doing it. I think it was because we kept turning it when it wouldnt start.
(CKP SENSOR)I went to majestic honda parts website and I cant find the part or the price.
Old 03-10-2006
Premium Member

just goto the dealer. they'll order it faster and you wont have to pay shipping.
Old 03-10-2006
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
before you go and buy a sensor, make sure the other one doesnt have any damage to the connecter or wires. Like I said in my first post, I figured it was the crank sensor since you werent getting spark, but now that the engine does start, you may have a intermittent connection at that sensor. make sure it is fully connected. after you check it and the engine starts fine, reset the ECU and drive around and see if any problems happen. you may have a fine sensor.
Old 03-10-2006
Registered!!

Connections are all oily Im going to clean them and im trying to take off the pulley in order to pull off the plastic bottom cover and im having trouble, Im searching around the site to see what i find in removing it.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

if your having trouble removing the pulley, may need a shop to remove it for you. also if the connection is oily, check the crank seal, you may need to replace it and the oil is causing a bad connection (resistance at the connection)
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

Thanks for your help. I got the pulley off and im ordering the sensor tommorrow. As for the damage, This started when i took my car in to a japanese guy that i thought knew his ****. When he change my timing belt and water pump i gues his lazy *** didnt drain the antifreze and it spilled all over getting inside the electricasl terminal on the sensor causing a short and ultimately damaging the sensor. The sensor had alot of antifreeze residue and the terminals were starting to rust and also get a bluish corrosion. I guess ill post some updates tommorrow after i install the new sensor. Once again thanks evryone for helping me troubleshoot this probnlem and Gearbox for Scans from the manual. BTW I used the method of taking of the starter and prying the flywheel while someone else turn the bolt.
Old 03-12-2006
Registered!!

they make a tool for hondas for the crank pulley too hold it while you turn the bolt. I have one and it helped alot.

Anyway, when he changed the water pump, coolant from the block will spill out all over everywhere, so even if he drained it from the radiator, there will still be coolant in the block. when I changed my water pump, i used a blower to blow out all of the coolant that spilled out, he may not have done that. Take it back and complain.