Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ripspecv is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy engine ?

ok i blew up my engine so now i need another one. the one in my civic is the d17a1 i guess because i dont have vtec. i was wondering if the a2 will fit in my car? and if so what do i have to do to make it work? and what do i have to do to make vtec work or will it work right away? please help me.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
the engines are the same size you will need a ecu for a d17a2 though
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

well without the ecu will the motor work or no cuz the person whos trying to sell me their engine is saying it will work but the vtec just wont kick in.
Old 01-21-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you need the ecu.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

thanks so that means without the ecu i can not use it. you guys saved me a ton of time and money. no vtec for me ****.
Old 01-21-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
there is a diy here that lets you use a vafcII controler to operate the vtec but you need to get it dyno tuned so that there is enough fuel when vtec turns on. the easier way is new ex ecu.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a HX ecu here at the house IF your interested......cover shpping and its yours......its used but if it doesnt work you keep it and ill refund your shipping.....its from an 01 HX Vtec d17a6........should work but someone may want to verify....it worked on my EX motor with no problems
Old 01-21-2006
Premium Member

its not supposed to work. the hx ecu uses a very different fuel map due to the way the engine works. the vtec is not the same.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Well mine works and i think I created a HYBRID...my car is faster than a stock EX and VTEC kicks in at around 3k RPMS and I still get about 40 MPG....like an HX kinda neat huh.......been like this for 25k miles now......I know the HX uses a lean burn but for some reason I have had no probs.
Old 01-23-2006
Registered!!

hey it itll work ill get it from you. i want to make sure it will work b4 i go and get an enigne that wont work cuz of the ecu.