Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch and steering wheel vibration issue

Old 01-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
Question clutch and steering wheel vibration issue

well my clutch is pretty much gone and ive got to have a new one. with that said, i got some tokico blues put on this weekend with some new tires. when the guy came back with the car it needed an alignment so i went to sears early today and got it done. when i got it back it felt pretty good until i was coming back on the interstate a little while ago. first through third isnt that bad. i guess thats around 65 mph max not trying to go fast. once you get to fourth and fifth at around 80 the steering wheel vibrates like hell but it still goes in a straight line. my real question is should i wait until i get a new clutch to see if the problem fixes itself or should i have it checked out asap and see if it could be another problem?
Old 01-08-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you need a wheel balance
Old 01-08-2006
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
thanks
Old 01-08-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
and please don't goto sam's club or some other retard place because they won't do anything and you'll still have the problem. goto an actual alignment/tire specialty shop that you know does good work.
Old 01-12-2006
Registered!!

specificcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
and please don't goto sam's club or some other retard place because they won't do anything and you'll still have the problem. goto an actual alignment/tire specialty shop that you know does good work.
agreed....your issue might also be that the tread depth on both of your front tires are different. It could also be caused by have 2 different tires on your front wheels period.
Old 01-12-2006
balatuba

Buwisit is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem my steering wheel vibrates whenever i got 60+ mph, it only occured when i installed hayame but i got wheel alignment, what maybe the problem?
Old 01-12-2006
Premium Member

wheel balance
Old 01-12-2006
balatuba

any explanation why wheel balance? i just want to understand
Old 01-12-2006
Registered!!

RedBull is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem right now... and i had my wheels balanced twice at two different places. The last one said i was good... but it took alot of weight on the front drivers side... my steering wheel seems to be canted alittle to the left now too. Went to another place and they said sometimes this happens with certain tires at certain speeds... i hope to get it checked again... but right now i got my money in a Vtec cylinder head and no Vacf II I thought it coulda been a bent wheel.. but they are only 6 months old.

Can this be any kinda alignment issue or something that gets over looked unlike a wheel balance? R3DL1N3 talked about his clutch... can a bad clutch do this too? Sorry if i sound lame... i'm still kinda new to all this.
Old 01-12-2006
Premium Member

alignment issues won't make the car vibrate at a certain speed.
Old 01-13-2006
balatuba

Originally Posted by gearbox
alignment issues won't make the car vibrate at a certain speed.
but how can you say that wheel balance is the solution if redbull had his wheels balanced twice but still vibrate and i dont think that clutch is the problem coz mine is ok but still vibrates
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

i had my wheels balanced twice too but turns out they didn't know how to do it. i had to take it to a real shop before they said all the weight is gone and the other place did nothing so you never know. if the balance is perfect, and it still vibrates, something is either wrong with the rim (bent) or the tire (uneven wear). when i did have the balance done right, they said they also moved the two worse tires to the rear so i would feel it even less. its been fine since but i'm driving to chicago tomorrow unfortunately so when i get back i know it will be vibrating due to all the weights falling off. roads suck up there.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

I just got my wheels balanced again today at Augusta Customs down here in Georgia... sorry for the shamless advertisement. They rebalanced all four of them... and said something about a "run out" which if i remember right... it's when they can't put any more weight on the wheel... but they got it close. They also moved that wheel to the back passanger side. I think it might be a issues with my tires, but they sat in my basement for a year while i was in Iraq, could be a bent wheel too... cause i hit alot of holes (going way to fast)

>>> Gearbox.... you ain't kidding about the roads in Chicago... was there last summer for a friends wedding. If you cananswer this if you get on here anytime soon... cause i dont' wanna bother Xproductions again... but once i do the vtec head swap, do i have to put on a EX (stock or aftermarket) header? Or will the DX one work for the time being?
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

it should work just fine as far as bolting up. the head mounts are the same i believe. remember the cat is in the header for dx/lx so replacing the header will remove the cat and you won't pass emissions if that matters to you.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

THANKS ALOT! I think i have all my questions about the swap answered... except if it'll actually work when i'm done. I'm trying to find a Vafc 2 for under $250. Then i'm good to go.

Well down here in Georgia i don't have to worry about emissions... but i head back to Pennsylvania in April and i have worry about it there, hmmm... i'll search for a aftermarket one for the dx/lx so i can keep the cat.

BTW: i don't have the vibration issues... just the normal roughness of needing a new suspension. She lasted almost 5yrs though!
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

i just sold my vafcii for $210. but if the buyer doesn't send the money i'll let you know.
Old 01-14-2006
Registered!!

Thumbs up

For sure!!! Thanks
Old 01-18-2006
Registered!!

I did some reading and the manual i got says the steering wheel vibration can be caused by the following:

1. Tire or wheel out of balance or out of round
2. Loose or worn wheel bearings
3. Worn tie-rod ends
4. Worn balljoints
5. Excessive wheel runout
6. Blister or bump on tire

If this is correct... then people that have this issue could be caused by several things that do get over looked because everywhere i go they tell me it could only be wheel balance.
Old 01-18-2006
Premium Member

well thats because the most common cause of vibration is wheel balance or bad tires.