Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light On, Alternator Voltage Too High, Accessory Socket Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005
Ed
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
SRS Light On, Alternator Voltage Too High, Accessory Socket Doesn't Work

I just wanted to post this to document my car's problem and how it was fixed.

My car started out with the SRS Light on for a while, then the Cigarette Accessory socket stopped working [it worked when the car was off, but now when on]. I tried my inverter that didn't work in my car in other cars and it was fine. I compared voltages between cars and mine was consistently higher.

I checked out my alt and battery at Autozone, they said the current was a little low [58a] and the voltage was a little high, well above 15v. They said it should be alright though. The voltage was above 16 volts on our voltmeters.

Initially, we wanted to get the SRS light checked [I never had my seats out]. I'd read a lot of service bulletins and it seemed the SRS Light was a common problem caused by a faulty OPDS Unit, the little guy that watches to see if there's someone in the passenger seat and adjusts the side air bags accordingly. The unit was pretty expensive, I got it for jsut a little over $100 [I work at Honda]. I got it put in at the dealer and the light was still on. They did not find any malfunction codes stored. They kept the car another day to try diagnose it. While at work, I read up on some service bulletins/ service news and found a message about how high voltages can trigger the SRS light with no codes triggered.

We looked around for Alternators and ended up buying one off a guy on the board [Thanks caorndorff ] I put it in today and no SRS lights and the sockets works great. The voltage at idle is about 14.6v, and 14.8 at 3000 rpm.

I just wanted to add this incase other people have the same problem. I know I had a hard time finding a solution on the board while I was searching.

Ed
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

xChris5442x is an unknown quantity at this point
so you have to buy a new alternator to get the light to turn off?
Old 12-17-2005
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
can you read? he said the alt. was messed up and that made the srs turn on....my srs light is on but theres no problem with my alt. srs light can be anything from air bags to seats...