Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wood pecker sound in the rear???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Wood pecker sound in the rear???

This is about the autoamtic tranny 04 Civic.

I noticed that when the I am STOPPED at a stop light with the break applied, 5-10 seconds after holding the break pedal in the same position I begin to hear this pretty loud sound that sounds like a wood pecker from the rear passenger side. Its like a fast cracking sound.... like a wood pecker.

If I press the brake pedal a little harder, if goes away.... if I let go of the brake pedal the sound also goes away.

It only happens when I have the brake pedal applied at a certain pressure for 5-10 seconds.

I cannot find a connection to this sound with holding the brake pedal..... I have no clue where to even start.

Does anyone have a clue what the connection might be?
Old 12-16-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by hustlelikem0fo
This is about the autoamtic tranny 04 Civic.

I noticed that when the I am STOPPED at a stop light with the break applied, 5-10 seconds after holding the break pedal in the same position I begin to hear this pretty loud sound that sounds like a wood pecker from the rear passenger side. Its like a fast cracking sound.... like a wood pecker.

If I press the brake pedal a little harder, if goes away.... if I let go of the brake pedal the sound also goes away.

It only happens when I have the brake pedal applied at a certain pressure for 5-10 seconds.

I cannot find a connection to this sound with holding the brake pedal..... I have no clue where to even start.

Does anyone have a clue what the connection might be?

i have the exact same problem, i think its the exhaust rubbing on the bumper, and the bumper rattles...
Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SinaloaCivic
i have the exact same problem, i think its the exhaust rubbing on the bumper, and the bumper rattles...

Thats kinda a relief that I'm not the only one.

But what the hell does that have to do with applying the brakes??

I'll check out the exhuast/bumper tommorow and let you know if I find anything.
Old 12-16-2005

well, when u hit the brakes the car hits a lower RPM and for some reason or at least on mine, my car does it when its at a certain RPM...like lets say......500-700?? and when i hear the sound i do what u do, that or let off of them for a bit....btw what type of exhaust do u have? also, its only when im stopped, it ALWAYS does it when im warming up the car, once its at normal temp it rattles like a mo'fo' so do what i did to find the problem, turn it on and when it starts to rattle go and see where the exhaust is and try to notice the bumper shaking, then see the exhaust tap the bumper, which makes the bumper wobble, thats of course if u have an aftermarket exhaust...

Last edited by SinaloaCivic; 12-16-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SinaloaCivic
well, when u hit the brakes the car hits a lower RPM and for some reason or at least on mine, my car does it when its at a certain RPM...like lets say......500-700?? and when i hear the sound i do what u do, that or let off of them for a bit....btw what type of exhaust do u have? also, its only when im stopped, it ALWAYS does it when im warming up the car, once its at normal temp it rattles like a mo'fo' so do what i did to find the problem, turn it on and when it starts to rattle go and see where the exhaust is and try to notice the bumper shaking, then see the exhaust tap the bumper, which makes the bumper wobble, thats of course if u have an aftermarket exhaust...

wow, my problem is IDENTICAL to yours. my car is 100% stock BTW.

the car in my sig is my old car... i got an 04 vic now.

do you have an after market exhuast?
when i'm warming up the car its quiet.... but whent he car warms up then that **** happens at every red light. i am going to investigate this tommorow or the day after..... thanks for the heads up on checking if its the exhuast.

i'll keep an update.

your car looks really good BTW.... if i were to mod mine i would make it look liek yours.
Old 12-16-2005

Originally Posted by hustlelikem0fo
wow, my problem is IDENTICAL to yours. my car is 100% stock BTW.

the car in my sig is my old car... i got an 04 vic now.

do you have an after market exhuast?
when i'm warming up the car its quiet.... but whent he car warms up then that **** happens at every red light. i am going to investigate this tommorow or the day after..... thanks for the heads up on checking if its the exhuast.

i'll keep an update.

your car looks really good BTW.... if i were to mod mine i would make it look liek yours.
yea i have an OBX R CatBack......thx for the compliments on my ride, i appreciate it, oh and when i had my stock exhaust on my ride it never made that noise, so hopefully thats it so u can quickly diagnose it....but who knows............eeh when it rattles, my girl says the car sounds like its made out of plastic...i say "well half of it IS plastic"
Old 12-17-2005
Registered!!

today i decided to check that out.... i placed a brick on the brake pedal and waited until the noise came out.

its it definatly coming from underneath the car where the exhuast runs..... and it sounds like its coming form the muffler thats right before the rear muffler.

i kicked it a couple times and the noise seemed to go away shortly... so i'm rpetty sure its coming from there. tommorow i'll get the car on jack stands and diagnose exactly where its coming from.

thansk for the advice.
Old 12-17-2005

yea its most likely the muffler rubbing up the chassis....so yea hopefully u can get that fixed ok

Last edited by SinaloaCivic; 12-17-2005 at 02:29 PM.