Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Some weird noise, I can't figure out!

Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicowners is an unknown quantity at this point
Some weird noise, I can't figure out!

When I start my car and press on gas just a little bit, I hear some weird noise coming out from under the hood, probably the engine bay. The noise sound like boiling liquid. Even when I drive for the first 10 minutes, I hear the boiling noise after 10 minutes or so, the noice is gone.

What could it be?
Old 11-26-2005
Registered!!

Smilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I have a similar problem. When I give it a little gas and I'm going slow like 5-10 mph, it makes a deep buzzing sound from under the hood. I think I might have read about a TSB saying the catalytic converter cover might be loose or something like that. It only seems to happen sometimes.
Old 11-26-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well the car runs rich when first started so its prolly gas in the exhaust. if it doesn't do it once the car is warm, i wouldn't worry.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

I still hear that noise sometimes even when the car is warmed up.
Old 11-27-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
does it sound like rushing water, like a river flowing through the dash? if so it could be air bubbles in the heater core. I have it too but i'm leaking coolant. try turning the temp to hot (it should do it) and then cold (should not do it).
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

yea it does sound like rushing water but not in the dash. It's lower, near the transmission but under the hood, somewhere in the middle.
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem too..it only happens at low speeds like at the start of first gear....any fixes??
Old 11-28-2005
Premium Member

well assuming you don't have a problem like blown gasket, you can bleed the air out. When car is cold, remove radiator cap. Start car, warm up to operating temp by revving the motor. Watch the radiator for coolant if it spills out let the rpm drop. Once car is at temp, turn heater to full blast and watch as any air bubbles pop at the surface. You can add coolant to fill the radiator near the top if you can't see coolant. Turn off car, replace cap.
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

mackin is an unknown quantity at this point
would the dealer fix this under warranty? what would the cause of this?? filling up the engine oil too much/ too low during oil change?
Old 12-15-2005
Premium Member

the water sound? i don't know. i just had the headgasket replaced and bled the air out but i still get the water sounds. its coolant flowing through the heater core, but i didn't think it made that sound before. maybe its normal?
Old 12-17-2005
Registered!!

taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have a problem with interior noise from under the hood.

Im pretty sure it has something to do with the exhaust system, i just dont know which part. Whenever my auto tranny is about to change gears you can hear a lot of noise than usual as if the engine is struggling a bit before going into the next gear. Whenever i rev a bit hard the sound is very noticeable. I dont have a heat shield in my car; could that be the problem? I tried revving the engine in park and it sounds perfectly fine.

Anyone ever have any problems like this?