Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stupid bumper clips won't come off!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
Stupid bumper clips won't come off!!

Is there any way to take these clips off without breaking them?? I was trying to change my fender liner but I broke the first 2 and didn't wanna break anymore so I stopped messin with it.
I don't wanna buy new ones cuz they cost like $4.00 each from the dealer.
thanks
Old 11-29-2005
Registered!!

brent_01civic_e is an unknown quantity at this point
umm i used a screwdriver to get them out...i still broke some but not too many. but if u like used the screwdriver to lift one side out so much and then just keep doing that..if u kno what i mean, that works, just take ur time
Old 11-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
^^^ exactly, take your time. I had to buy a **** load of them when I changed out both my fender wheel liners along time ago. Broke like 8 of them. SOmetimes you cant help to break them.
Old 11-29-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I've never broken a Honda one. The knockoff ones snap like toothpicks. Use the fattest screwdriver you can get under there, and TURN it, don't flip it open. If you turn it they'll just pop open at some point.
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I've never broken a Honda one. The knockoff ones snap like toothpicks. Use the fattest screwdriver you can get under there, and TURN it, don't flip it open. If you turn it they'll just pop open at some point.
Could u explain a lil better?? wut do you mean by turn it and don't flip it open?? I tried turning them but they won't come out, how can u turn them with a screwdriver? stupid honda... why couldn't they just use screws
Old 11-30-2005
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
gently wedge a fat flathead under the tab and just wiggle back and forth.
easy peasy
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MrXclusivE
Could u explain a lil better?? wut do you mean by turn it and don't flip it open?? I tried turning them but they won't come out, how can u turn them with a screwdriver? stupid honda... why couldn't they just use screws

he means not to "pry" the clips in a up and down fashion. instead, turn the screw driver (like you're losening a screw) once you've got the screw driver under the clip.

oh yeah, try to use a wider screw driver (but flat). in my experience, if i use thin screw drivers, the clips tend to break easier.
Old 11-30-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
^^ bingo
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I've found that dirt and stuff gets in them, so I tap them first to loosen it up!
A "stubby" flat blade driver works best.
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

thanks guys!! I still don't get why they use these stupid stuff instead of just using screws.
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$(2 holes and a plastic thingy)
Old 12-01-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by MrXclusivE
thanks guys!! I still don't get why they use these stupid stuff instead of just using screws.
You'll figure it out when you go to put the bumper back on....ease of assembly.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
i used my clip removal tool to take the bumper clips off. didnt break a single one. if you broke some, just buy them online, they are much cheaper.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

^^ where did u buy that from?
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ What he said!
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
bought the clip removal tool from kragens and clips for 1.78 from H and A accessories: http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html
Old 12-10-2005
Registered!!

damn it, they won't come off!!! they're fvckin tough ***** At this point I just want to take them off without bending the fender I don't care about damaging them anymore.
Old 12-10-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
mine were so dry rooted they broke when i got the flat head under it and most of them were all scraped up from curbs
Old 12-11-2005
Registered!!

the ones that hold the bumper are easier to take off than these. I want to take off the fender liner and seems like they use different clips there.