Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

passenger axle nightmare !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
passenger axle nightmare !!!

okay lets see about 2 weeks ago i was running errands i came home and i noticed that the inside of my passenger wheel was coated with green goo i knew it right away that it was a ripped cv boot. an hour later i had the whole axle pulled and said why not i'll just get a whole new axle. i work at a local 24 hour autozone so i checked there and they didn't have one, i called honda just for ***** and 350 for the axle screw that, so i called another good friend at o'reillys and they had one for 60. so i took my old one in there and put the new axle from o'reilly on my car. ever since then its been slowly seeping tranny fluid, the next day i took the axle out to look at the output shaft seal it wasn't damaged at all. so after about a week now i went on www.car-part.com and found an oem axle that i just bought today and i also went ahead and bought the output shaft seal and some new tranny fluid from honda. if this doesn't fix my problem then i dont know what will, i'm sure the axle was put all the way in. this whole situation has been a headache cause when i drive on the highway the tranny fluid gets on my exhaust and it smells horrible. hopefully i'll get this problem fixed tomorrow, has anybody else had problems like this ?
Old 11-23-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The Axle has to snap all the way in. There is a ring and a groove that hold it in at the tranny. You HAVE to make sure that it POPS into position. It's only 1/8 inch or so where it clicks and seats home. Changing the seal never hurts while the axle is out, but coat it with trans fluid before you CAREFULLY slide the new axle into place. Then hit the whole thing with a rubber mallet to seat it. You should hear a thunk, and that's it.
Old 11-24-2005

thats what i did before was tap the axle end with a hammer to make sure its in. i'm gonna count the teeth on the end of the axle and make sure the o'reilly axle isn't missing some
Old 11-26-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I've gone through 2 seals on the drivers side. If you push it in too far the gear that the axle slides into will grind the seal to hell. I hate this d17 and thus I am planning my k swap
Old 11-26-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Interesting.... isn't the seal supposed to just sit flush?
Old 11-26-2005

i know a guy that has a shop thats hooking it up so mon. my car wont leak anymore