Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic EX 2DR Replacing blower

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swaq is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic EX 2DR Replacing blower

OK here goes:
I've been slowly getting a noise coming from the glove box area of the dash board when the fan is on (doesn't matter heat/AC), and it changes depending on the speed of the fan, as well as goes silent when I turn off the fan. I've had the vents cleaned out twice thinking perhaps it was debris hitting the fan blade...but that didn't help (filter swere changed too..just in case). It dawned on me in time that the noise wasn't a "clicking" as if something was hitting the fan blade...it was more of "whirring" like a fan motor. I went ahead and popped the glove box out, and sure enough the sound seems to be eminating from the fan blower system behind it. Now here's where I'm not sure of a few things. First off, I'm trying to decide if it's the motor itself, or it's the ball bearings on the fan portion (if those even exist). Interestingly enough, when I looked online for a new motor, I found 1 for about $105 that looks like it's the motor with what looks like the fan attached. I'm asuming that would resolve both issues. Question 1 is, can someone confirm that part (meaning it is in fact the motor and rotating blade together)? The next part is, I found a .pdf file online somewhere with instructions on how to replace the entire AC unit of a Civic, and within that document was an area for the blower unit. My question here is, does anyone have knowledge, or better yet documention/pictures on how I can replace the blower motor without removing the dashboard. THat part is KEY! I'm looking to keep things quiet, and I've heard from many people that removing the dash is one of the worst things to do. Thanks for any help that anyone can give, and sorry for the absurdly LONG post!

Last edited by swaq; 10-24-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
The blower is mounted on the far side area, unbolt it and drop it down. The item making the noise will probably fall out or be right there close. I would look at it before replacing you may not need any parts.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

err,,,was my thread blank?..I just read the response, but my area is empty...I hope people see it, becasue it was long..and detailed!
So even though it sounds like a mechanical problem...you still think I should see if somethings in there?..
here's the issue though...how do I remove it without lifting the dash?
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you dont need to remove the whole dashboard to remove the blower unit, but you do need to remove the lower dashboard cover , some relays, the PCM, then the unit will drop out after unbolting it.

Best bet would be to drop the assembly out and see if anything is in there making noise. If nothing is found, sounds like the motor itself because you said the noise changes with the different speeds of the fan.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

I read in one section of an A/C installation manual, that you must cut a piece witha hacksaw to access the blower area. accrording to what you're saying, it sounds much easier than that. Do you happan to have any instructions for that area? I take classes at night, so I'll trying hitting the library tomorrow night on campus, and see if they've got the Haynes book available....but if someone here happans to have some docs or instrucitons for it, that would be even better. Is everyone in agreement, that if the noise is indeed the fan itself, or the motor, that picking up a new blower motor would most likely resolve either of thos eissues?
Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by streetglower
you dont need to remove the whole dashboard to remove the blower unit, but you do need to remove the lower dashboard cover , some relays, the PCM, then the unit will drop out after unbolting it.

Best bet would be to drop the assembly out and see if anything is in there making noise. If nothing is found, sounds like the motor itself because you said the noise changes with the different speeds of the fan.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
The manaul doesnt say anything about cutting anything. I have the instuctions from the manaul, I can write them out if you want later, I would send you pics, but I dont have a scanner. Autozone carries the 01-04 civic manaul now so try them.

Now I am not sure if the blower motor is the problem. No one will know that unless they personally diagnosed it. It could be the problem and it might be something else. Your best bet would be to pull the unit or use a stethoscope and run it around the area and see where the noise is coming from.

Last edited by streetglower; 10-24-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2005
Registered!!

I'm, by far, not car savvy at all, but I am a musician, so I tend to pride myself on a keen sense of hearing. I've definitly narrowed the sound down to that area, because I poped the glove box down, and removed the 2 filters in there, and the ound got louder. Meaning it seemd to come from the fan, and the filters were muffling the sound when they were in place. As far as if it's the fan or the motor, I'm not sure, but I truly feel (based on the sound I hear) that it's mechanical, as opposed to an object/debris cought in there...
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

Err...can anyone post the portions of the service manual regarding the blower sectipon of the car?...I dunno if that's allowed here or not...but if it is, that would help me out BIG time!
Old 10-25-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
The pages of the manual for that section are vague. I looked at my 05, I saw 3 screws around the blower with "security torxs" heads, It is possible it will drop down once these are removed.

If you want the pages PM with E-Mail and I will send them in PDF format to you.
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

ok, if you want to just remove the blower motor itself, it should just unbolt from the assembly and drop down as craigW said, but if you want to remove the whole unit, you need to remove the ECM and then drop the unit down.
Old 10-25-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
if you're not "tech savvy" then your best bet isn't a DIY...take it to a reputable a/c shop...or if it's under warranty(doubt it is) take it to a dealer...
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

2 friends of mine will be helping me with this. They're both quite savvy... I think the part we're going ot use is not an authentic Honda part, but they assured it me it won't make a difference. Can you guys agree with that statement? They're good friends, and know their business, so I trust them...also, as one pointed out..it's not like the Honda one worked out so well for me...LOL!
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

The part may work like OEM and it may not work like OEM, as in the fitment. You just have to try and see. More then likely you will be fine, but sometimes aftermarket parts arent of the same quality.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

My friend said there's usually 3 levels of quality, this one being gold (best)..or something of that nature..I didn't really pay attention
Old 10-26-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
here ya go

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	61512   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	61513  
Old 11-04-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
mine is also making a whining noise. Its very audible, and I am quite confident there is nothing stuck in there. No debris, I know what the sound is you are talking about, but Im not sure what it is. Ive fixed so many problems, that Im gonna just bring my car and trade it in.

but its louder as you turn the a/c up more. the wine is louder/faster. there could possibly be hair or something like that stuck where something is spinning, creating a lot of drag and noise. just my opinion. I have no idea what it is though. good luck