Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem with trunk light and turning signal (fixed it 10/16)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Problem with trunk light and turning signal (fixed it 10/16)

About a week ago the trunk light came on my instrument control panel while driving.
I check my trunk lid and it was closed.
Disconected the trunk switch and the light was still on.

Then
I noticed that when I apply the turning signal to turn right.
All tail lights and middle brake light came on.

On the instrument control panel:
The trunk signal flashes on and off with the turning signal.

Any thoughts on what it may be.
I replaced the flasher.

Last edited by Supermex; 10-16-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Sounds like a short somewhere. indicated because you said you disconnected the trunk latch switch and the light to the dash was still on. If you disconnected it, normally the circuit would be broken and the light would go off. Just figuring out where it is, is more difficult. it possible that the problem is at or around the mulitplex control unit. Since both have inputs there (the unit is the under dash fuse box) and the turn signal flasher is in the under dahs fuse box. Now if you have a digital multimeter, there are some tests you can do at the multiplex unti if you want to try and find where the problem lies.

Last edited by streetglower; 10-14-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I would check the ground connections.
Old 10-15-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Man,
I need a good electrician.
Old 10-15-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yes electrical problems can be nightmares. I think the dealership charges between $40-$90 to check it out. Might want to try that if all else fails. Once they know what it is, you can probably repair it yourself if it isnt too hard.
Old 10-16-2005

So, I did found it

Took the dash off.
Took all the cabin panels off.
The console, headliner.
Trunk was already striped.
I read the service manual over and over.
Took the multiplex/fuse box down.

Then about 11pm last night I get out of bed went down to the garage determined to find the short, then, a spark of luck happened!
After reading the electrical section of the manual about 5 times I decided to follow the harness from the back of the car, then I saw a nitrous line going under the carpet towards the back seat.
This is a braided line so it rubbed against the cluster of wires going to the back causing 5 wires to short and stick together.

Problem fixed.
What did I learn out of it?
Besides that there are 1000000 wires in our cars, that when using braided lines one must be carefull to protect wires any time they are in contact with this braided lines.
Old 10-16-2005
Registered!!

good job on finding the problem.