Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help please.. car won't start and late for school

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
milk242 is an unknown quantity at this point
help please.. car won't start and late for school

I have no idea what is wrong with my car. This morning I was getting ready to go to school and I tried to start the car and it wouldn't. It wouldn't even crank. I was thinking it might be this theft deterrent device they installed, so I unplugged it and it still did nothing. I also checked the battery and it has a good charge.. So now I'm just lost.. Are the engine, battery, and oil light suppose to be on constantly in the ignition II position? Please help.. late for school already hahah
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yes the oil, battery and engine light will stay on with it in the II position. If the battery is ok, you may have a starting system problem. Or possibly a problem with the tranny range switch or clutch interlock switch or starter relay or the ignition switch, depending on if you have an auto or manaul tranny. an easy way to check the starting system is you can run a thick gauge wire from the battery to the "S" terminal of the starter and see if the starter turns the engine over. Make sure you disconnect the other wire at the "S" terminal. If it does crank or start, you have a wiring issue or bad range or clutch switch. If it still doesnt crank, then your starter is bad. or you have a wiring issue somewhere in that circuit.

Before you do anything, make sure everything is hooked up and there are nothing is missing.

Now when you turn the key to the II position, does the MIL go out after about 20 seconds?

Last edited by streetglower; 10-10-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the temperature sensore on the intake, u might want to check that
Old 10-10-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
oh & maybe the steering wheel is locked check that too lol
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
if the steering wheel was in the locked position, you wouldnt be able to get the car to the II position. Also the IAT may cause a no start situation but it shouldnt cause a no crank, no start situation. The IAT has nothing to do with the starting system. If it isnt cranking, then there is something wrong with starter or the components in that system.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Well guys.. thank for all the help but I finally got it to start. After I wrote my plea for help, I went back outside and tried again. It started with some hesitation.. I just held the key in ignition III position till it cranked. But I still am wondering what could have been the problem.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

Well did it not crank the first time or did it crank and just not start? They are two seperate things.

You may just have a loose connection.

you can also check out this thread. It may be related to your problem.http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...car+wont+start

Last edited by streetglower; 10-10-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

it didn't crank at all the first time. Thanks for the help and the other thread.. I think that may have been the problem.. not enough voltage to my starter
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

oh yea.. I drive a 2004 civic lx automatic.. these kinds of problems shouldn't occur on fairly new car.
Old 10-11-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by milk242
oh yea.. I drive a 2004 civic lx automatic.. these kinds of problems shouldn't occur on fairly new car.
he installed something, so it isn't the car's fault.

I would check your installation and the fuses. My friend installed an alarm on his car and blew a main fuse.
Old 10-11-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
they 04 lx's have a tendancy to do that every once in a blue moon...mine did that once but after just stopping for a few seconds and taking the key out of the ignition, tried it again and it worked but it had trouble...my guess is on my car that since my driveway is at like a 60 degree angle and the gas was fairly empty so i had to get the fuel pump pickup to get some fuel to the engine before it would crank