Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer bounce

Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Speedometer bounce

For some reason, my speedometer bounces for ungodly reason. If I run up to 60, it bounces up and down a couple of times. Plus another problem I had is when my speedometer's reading is off, for example, if I'm going 40 MPH, I'm actually going 30 MPH. This happened to me once and I was wondering why everyone was passing up on me until I looked at my tach. Does anyone have this similar problem?
Old 09-18-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
sometimes my old one bounced and came back up. Didn't affect the reading tho. Its a common problem I think that they fixed with the newer ones. I believe the old style was magnet based. So going over a big enough bump would make them shake down and then adjust again.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

lindermant will become famous soon enoughlindermant will become famous soon enough
I have an '05 coupe (purchased in Aug), and my speedo has done the same thing twice that I've noticed. Traveling at 60mph on the highway, and it's dipped down to 50-55mph, then right back to 60mph.
Old 09-24-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
'04 VP Coupe here with the same problem.
Wish someone could tell us what it is.
Old 11-01-2005
My Baby Daddy

PlasmaGT is on a distinguished road
My wife just called me and said that this happened to her. Any update?
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you used cell phones or others around? Some high electromagnetic field can make this things happen.
Old 11-03-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i have dynamat around (enough that a compass is useless inside) and I've only has this happen a few times. i think its just a glitch.
Old 11-30-2005
Registered!!

baxter1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

My speedo has bounced a few times as well....05 vp/cpe
Just the other day was stuck at 45mph...as I turned car off and waited bout 2 sec. the needle would drop 5mph so I turned my car on then back to the off possition 9 times or so to get back to 0 and now it will twitch a lil when car is first turned off .but there hasn't been anymore dipping of the needle going down tha road....
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
I've tried to figure out the problem for many months now so no updates on it fellas. All I can say when stuff like that happens, watch your Tach (Only for VP/DX models) and usually around 2K is aobut 40 MPH, 3K is 70 MPH. Thats the only way how I know how fast I'm going if the speedo is f'ed up.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

No waranty left?
Old 12-02-2005
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
my 04 VP has done it a few times, first time i thought i was going crazy. I was like OK I HAVE NOT DONE ANY DRUGS WTF ! it went from 70 to 30 then shot back.
Old 12-02-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
try reseting the speedo, push and hold the odo button, then turn the key to on, but dont start the car, it resets and i think re-calibrates the speedo and tach, plus it looks pretty nifty
Old 12-02-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The speed sensor signal is pretty noisy. I discovered this when hooking up my Navi. I had a hell of a time trying to get a clean signal out of that wire. I had to add a small circuit to clean up the pulses for it to work properly.

Chalk it up to lack of shielding in the vics. Too many signals too close together in the same harness. Damn, this gen really was cheap. But it runs.
Old 12-10-2005
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Hey tinman, you an electrical engineer or something of that sort?

And by the way, it runs and looks HELLA WAY MUCH BETTER than the new ones. Hella better.
Old 12-10-2005
Registered!!

I actualy working on my speedometer calibration. This is my first mood
I am on halve way. After I finish I will make a DYI for it. I bought some electronic device which also filters the noise. I will report beack.
Finnaly the speed will be 100 % correct no mather of what kind of tire you have (you can adjust it very easy)!