Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

WTF IS GOING ON!!!HELP (engine)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute
WTF IS GOING ON!!!HELP (engine)

ok so for weeks now my car has been sitting...i have no time....so here is what happened...............i was getting gas one day and then when i was pulling out of the station 2 blocks down at 2400rpm i let go of the gas pedal and i hear loud tapping....i wouldent call it knocking because it wasent that loud....but ill say like when a knock sensor goes bad they say it sounds like "marbles" in the engine....thats what it sounds like.....so crap... i went right home...1/2 mile away...park it......its been there since....i tryed dry gas but didnt run the full tank....i got an engine code......so i didnt know what to do so i toook it to autozone to see what the code was and i got
"P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Input"
WWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFF does that have to do with anything.....the car hasent been warmed up in over 3 weeks....and i reset the computer too so it wasent b4 hand....i dont know what to do....im about to drain the tank out of the fuel line and get super gas.....
please some one help!!
edit:haha i didint even notice please was missing a e lol

Last edited by CivicHatch9one; 09-12-2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Did the sound come back, or was it just that once?

Also, which car is it? the hatch or the 7thgen?
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well before you start doing anything, diagnois why the check engine light is on. Alot of times one problem can be the cause of several other problems. Either you have a bad sensor or a ECM problem. Do you notice anything else with that check engine light on?
And as Jrfish007 said, did the noise happen once?

BTW what is you ran dry gas but didnt run a full tank mean?

Last edited by streetglower; 09-10-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute
well thanks you 2.... well i went to my old job at strauss and one of the guys there is really good......he looked checked it and drove it...........result....he said the engine overheated.....witch i never noticed..........and i spun a bearing........sht.......i took so much care of that car now i dont know.....if i do it im doing it myself like always but i never did it.....anyone have any pointers who have done this sort of thing? ill practice by doing it first on my old 1.5 sohc engine i have lying around....but still...i havent even paid off the car yet.............well thanks
Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.

dry gas takes out water out of bad gas...and to work apparently you must run the car till its empty to take effect...
Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Did the sound come back, or was it just that once?

Also, which car is it? the hatch or the 7thgen?
7th gen...
Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.

sh*t..........
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
So I assume the noise was still there. I dont even know what a spun bearing sounds like. But good luck on everything.
Old 09-10-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I know what they sound like, have had a few of them actually. The tricky question is which baring was it? I had a cam baring go bad, and yeah they sound like marbles in the engine. I had a cam baring go out once and it took no time to fix, less than 2 hours. Try to figure out if it was a cam baring or main baring first, there is a huge difference between the two. A cam baring is eas like I said, a main baring I would just replace the engine, junk yard engine is only about $350-400. Of course there are quite a few baring throughout the engine, but those two are the common one to go bad. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2005
7th gen old timer.

he said most likely the crank shaft bearing....so im going to try it...i have nothing to lose
Old 09-10-2005

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
he said most likely the crank shaft bearing....so im going to try it...i have nothing to lose

Whoa.... that's an ENTIRE rebuild of your engine.... I would just junk and buy a junkyard engine, may cost a hundred or so more than rebuilding, but after I rebuilt an engine, I'll never do it agian. All I can say is get a helms and follow exactly what they say, and make sure to torque everything corrently.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 09-10-2005

Like I siad earlier though, lift the hood, and find where the ticking is coming from.
Old 09-11-2005
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
damn pete sorry to hear about that, best of luck dude
Old 09-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Couple of things.

1) I have had the sensor go off before. Our cars have a horrible problem bleeding air pockets and that sensor is directly behind the thermostat. If you get a pocket of air, that sensor goes off, the thermostat never opens and the car over heats.

2) I have spun a rod bearing. To most people it's easy to identify but be careful as sound can telegraph through the motor. If it is a rod bearing, I PROMISE it's cheaper to install a new motor. I put in a new motor with 12K miles for $300 and sold my old one for about $150. Thats $150 for a new motor! Honda will charge you $90 in labor JUST to diagnose it. Take advantage of how cheap our motors are. I had a new one in 9 hours later. Seriously...
Old 09-11-2005
7th gen old timer.

Originally Posted by Rufus
Couple of things.

1) I have had the sensor go off before. Our cars have a horrible problem bleeding air pockets and that sensor is directly behind the thermostat. If you get a pocket of air, that sensor goes off, the thermostat never opens and the car over heats.

2) I have spun a rod bearing. To most people it's easy to identify but be careful as sound can telegraph through the motor. If it is a rod bearing, I PROMISE it's cheaper to install a new motor. I put in a new motor with 12K miles for $300 and sold my old one for about $150. Thats $150 for a new motor! Honda will charge you $90 in labor JUST to diagnose it. Take advantage of how cheap our motors are. I had a new one in 9 hours later. Seriously...
see normally i would do that...but! i still owe 3k on the car and also ive did a swap b4 on my hatch and i finished in a day but the wiring on a 91 dx is diffrent that EVERY OTHER motor...so i got preoccupied with work and scool and let it sit for a couple months then i left for basic training and 6 more months went by i finally finished it but after that my dad would probally not let me do it...especially since im full time work/school now...
Old 09-11-2005
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Ok bite the bullet mang
Old 09-24-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Couple of things.

Im thinking Im about to go this route. You should cruise by and hear my motor and some point. I dont feel safe driving it anywhere (even though autozone is 1/15 of a mile away).

Do you have an OBD scanner? Im about to buy a cheap one, but really dont want to. talk to you later, hit me up sometime when your free.

Peace
Old 09-24-2005
Premium Member

Call me you assclown I'm free all weekend.
Old 09-24-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
Call me you assclown I'm free all weekend.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!
hey man you need a new motor. ebay shipped for like 800 bucks. good luck
Old 09-24-2005

whoa, guy down the street got a junkyard d17 for 500 after he returned the old one
Old 09-26-2005
7th gen old timer.

allready discussed with my dad....no new engine and no doing it my self.....truth is i have NO time....and i cant have that being unfinished....but on the other hand its sitting now and wont be driven for a bit im looking at anywhere from one to two months b4 i even take it anywhere
Old 09-26-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
if its a spun bearing, why dont you take the oil pan off and look? I mean, un-bolt the rod caps, and check out the bearings. If you find one that is damage, look at the crank. if the crank is not damaged, go to honda and get a new set of bearings.

It may look complicated, but it really isnt. Changing the bearings on the motor is actually easier than changing a head gasket (unless you damaged a main bearing).
Old 09-26-2005
Premium Member

lol I'd do a heat gasket over bearings. Although I've done a few d17 HG's by now. lol
Old 09-26-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont mind doing a hg...now. Wouldnt take me too long. But the first time was a living hell on me. But I also planned on swapping a new motor, than just decided to get it all fixed. So I took out more than needed, lost bolts, it took me a long time.

Im gonna try to fire up the car tonight, and see how it runs. I cleared the code, so I will triple check the wiring again, make sure nothing is touching, and see whats up. Hopefully it will work. But at least its idling nicer now with the tb bypass reversed back to stock. took 1000 rpms off. its only at 12-1500 now instead of 24-2600.
Old 09-27-2005
7th gen old timer.

Originally Posted by turboengnr
if its a spun bearing, why dont you take the oil pan off and look? I mean, un-bolt the rod caps, and check out the bearings. If you find one that is damage, look at the crank. if the crank is not damaged, go to honda and get a new set of bearings.

It may look complicated, but it really isnt. Changing the bearings on the motor is actually easier than changing a head gasket (unless you damaged a main bearing).
i wanted to but i cant get into that right now