Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Do you do a full stop before putting car in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retro is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you do a full stop before putting car in reverse?

I drive an auto 04, I have a habit of putting the car into reverse (or from reverse to drive) *just* before the car sits into a complete full stop, when there's still a tiny bit of momentum of the car going. The change is usually smooth and not jerky. I've never been able to do this on my previous 1990 civic as it would jerk the car completely and feel like I'm breaking something.

What I want to know is, is doing this bad for my car? I suppose the obvious response is that stopping fully before changing gears would be the safest bet but I'm curious as to whether it would do any actual damage in the long run.

thanks~
Old 09-06-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea its bad if you have an automatic trans
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

scarypunk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
my standard grinds if i go into reverse if im moving
Old 09-07-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
thats about as good as nuetral drops. but worse. cause your not only dropping from a gear to nuetral to another gear, but your moving while your doing it all. don't be a girl. take care of your car.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Robb989 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wait for until I'm at a complete stop because I know that sh*ts no good for the tranny. The way I see it is, what's easier waiting a few extra seconds to put it from R to D or droppin over a grand for a tranny.
Old 09-07-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
ALWAYS! Just because it doesn't make noise doesn't mean it's ok. You are turning gears in one direction and then suddenly stopping and reversing. This is hard on the clutches in an auto, and even worse on a stick.
Old 09-07-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
i have a stick and can go into first gear no problem after reversing, only problem is from driving to reverse, it will grind so i never put the car in reverse while moving i only go from reverse to first and it does nothing.
Old 09-07-2005

monty001 will become famous soon enoughmonty001 will become famous soon enough
yup...ditto...not good for either of the trannies (auto or stick)
Old 09-07-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
i have a stick and can go into first gear no problem after reversing, only problem is from driving to reverse, it will grind so i never put the car in reverse while moving i only go from reverse to first and it does nothing.

That's because there is no sychro on reverse, as there is no need for one if you are stopped.
Old 09-07-2005
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
My 5 speed has a lock that wont allow me to do that. It is for transmission protection. The same rule applies for first gear as well i think.