Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I F'ed Up Big Time. i think??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005
Wish I had a Turbo Thread Starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04|5spdCivic can only hope to improve
I F'ed Up Big Time. i think??

okay guys heres the thing. this morning i was puting some new/used wheels on my car and i got all three on then as i was putting the front passenger wheel back on i just got all four bolts turned on barely finger tight and lowerd the car down and the phone rang so i answered it and talked to my dad for like 5 mins and started putting tools away cuz i was thinking about somthing else. my friend stops by and we get to talking and watching tv and i completely forgot that i didnt tighten down the bolts. like 20 mins later we jump in my car to head over to my uncle body shop to have him quote me on a powdercoat job and yeah, i didnt notice anything untill we got up to speed on the interstate when it started to veer a lil left and right a lil tiny bit then when i get off the interstate it starts shaking really bad at like 40 and you can def feel it trying to pull off the car. so i obviously pulled over and found out that i didnt tighten the bolts down. later i got my car up in the air and got the wheel off. it turns out that i stripped most of three of the studs threads. i could only get two lug nuts back on and i have hardly driven my car since. has anyone had this anything like this happen before? how much is it gonna cost to get them fixed. i have an appointment tommorow morning at 830. also is my wheel gonna fly off if i drive the car on just two lug nuts or will i be okay as long as i dont do any drifting or anything.
Old 08-15-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
new hub for the wheel. don't know how much though. drifting? dude don't even go past 30mpg
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

noestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, tough luck. I did something similar a while back. I hand tighten them and forgot what i was doing cause my son distracted me, so I removed the jack and then remembered to tighten them, only after removing the jack. I didn't feel like putting a jack so i tighten them like that. A week later, I had a nut missing and the other three were lose.

But yeah, don't drive on two lug nuts. Your risking breaking off the studs with the stress of the car's wieght. Driving on 3 is ok cause i did for like a month till i bought the missing nut. Replace the stripped studs, it's the safest thing to do.
Old 08-15-2005

yeah but i've been told its pretty hard to replace the studs and i cant do it myself. im just going to drive it to the shop tommorow slowly. i really hope that it wont be expensive. looking for a price range.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

noestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
the studs shouldn't cost more than 5 dollars for both. Get a bud of yours thats good with cars to help u replace them. A mechanic will cost u a lot more than $5.
Old 08-15-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
someone has replaced their studs before in both front and rear.
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well call the dealer and ask them if a new hub includes the studs already in them because replacing the studs in the front isnt as easy as it is on most cars. For the price to replace 1 stud, you can by a new hub asembly for around the same price. Most you can just knock them through without any problems, but on our cars, you have no room to knock them through because of the dust shield. So you have to remove the hub assembly from the knuckle, then you can remove and replace them. It cost me around $70 to replace just one stud. that was about a year ago, but now shouldnt be any different. It would be cost effective to just replace the hub assembly at the same time. The dealer recommends you put on a new bearing at the same time, but that is up to you.

Now if you have access to a hub remover or hub puller tools, you might be able to do it yourself without having to remove the knucke from the car. Just be careful you dont damage the bearing.

Best bet is to call around first or ask them to give you an estimate first, because alot of shops dont know that our cars have to have the hub removed. They think they can just knock them through.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-16-2005 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2005

alright. if i got ahold of a new hub how easy would that be to have done? i made an apointment to have the studs changed tommorow and he quoted me like 140 dollars to replace all 4 if he had to take the hub off. would it be cheaper to just replace the entire hub?
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

gnat1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would imagine that it will cost more than 140 to replace the hub simply because the hub costs more. That guy is probably charging you 20 or 30 for the studs and over 100 for labor. If I remember right the hub was about 50 but I'm not sure. So you might be looking at 200 for everything. I changed a stud on my civic earlier this year. It was a pain in the butt but a lot cheaper than paying someone to do it. Just cost me $1.50 for the stud and a few hours of my time.
Old 08-16-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
The hub may have studs installed but You will still need a new bearing 40.00 ish from majestic. I recently did this on my vic. I tried it reusing my old bearing but upon reaasembly it didn't feel right so I bought a new one. Spend the money and make sure they are including the new bearing. have them replace all 4 studs,<- they are cheap.
Old 08-16-2005

okay so i'll just have them replace all 4 studs and do i need them to install a new bearing if they use the same hub? what should i have them do?
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

a new bearing is your call. I used the same one but if it's not that much more then it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 04|5spdCivic
alright. if i got ahold of a new hub how easy would that be to have done? i made an apointment to have the studs changed tommorow and he quoted me like 140 dollars to replace all 4 if he had to take the hub off. would it be cheaper to just replace the entire hub?
a new hub assembly is $115 and a new bearing is $40. I think $140 for replacing all the studs is overpriced. it shouldnt take them but a few minutes to install 4 studs. So it should only be around an hour on labor to remove the hub and replace the studs. I would call around and check with other people.

But if you use the old hub, you can either keep the bearing or reuse it. But if you get a new hub, put in a new bearing.
Old 08-16-2005

alright. but someone earlier said that its alot of work to take the hub apart and stuff. he didnt really say it would cost 140$ he said it would depend on how hard it is to get at them and stuff. he said that if they had to take apart the hub all all this bs that it would cost more so i asked him like how much more and he said the most it would cost for everything is 140$
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

you have to take the hub off to get to the studs
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

alright. but someone earlier said that its alot of work to take the hub apart and stuff. he didnt really say it would cost 140$ he said it would depend on how hard it is to get at them and stuff. he said that if they had to take apart the hub all all this bs that it would cost more so i asked him like how much more and he said the most it would cost for everything is 140$
all they have to do is remove the axle shaft nut, rotor assembly, and then the knuckle. Once the knuckle is off, they have to press the hub away from the knuckle. after that they can remove the studs from the knuckle. Nothing else needs to come apart. the bearing is still in the knuckle, so they can replace it if they choose. But like I said, $140 is alot. I paid $70 total for mine to be removed and have a few studs replaced.
Old 08-16-2005

do you have to take the hub apart or anything though? anyways how long would it take a pro shop to do cuz i asked him if i dropped it off in the morning at like 8-9 o clock in the morning if i would have my car back that day and he said it would depend on what all they had to do. didnt someone on here say that they did it in 2 hours. if it takes a local person 2 hours it would have to take a shop alot less time right? cuz then if the shop tries charging me for like 4-6 hours of work i can tell thats bs right.
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

do you have to take the hub apart or anything though? anyways how long would it take a pro shop to do cuz i asked him if i dropped it off in the morning at like 8-9 o clock in the morning if i would have my car back that day and he said it would depend on what all they had to do. didnt someone on here say that they did it in 2 hours. if it takes a local person 2 hours it would have to take a shop alot less time right? cuz then if the shop tries charging me for like 4-6 hours of work i can tell thats bs right.
it should take a good technician around 1 hour or less to do. And there really isnt anything to the hub. It is a piece of metal with studs sticking out. It is what the rotor spins with and rides on. the shop that did mine did it in about 45 minutes. Isnt a huge job to do. You should be able to wait for it while it gets done.
Old 08-17-2005

I dropped my car off at 9:00 this morning and it wasn't done untill around 1. they charged me 165 dollars total for everything. i guess they charge 140 dollars to remove and replace the studs on a car where you have to remove the hub. all there prices are fixed at how much time it would/should take and how hard it is. i may have gotten ripped off but at least i know they did they it right and i dont have to worry about anything anymore. other than the fact that i'm extremely broke.