Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jugadro is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*

I'm trying to get a little record of people that have had any sort of internal tranny problems (not including drive shafts or toasted clutches). This thread will most-likely be submitted to Honda of America.

Be sure to state the year of your civic and if it is an automatic or manual.

I'm currently in process with Honda of America to replace my 57000 mile "grinding mill" of a transmission under the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 for Implied Warranties. And I'm curious to see just how common of a problem this really is.

Let's hear it.

Last edited by jugadro; 08-24-2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
Ms.Mangas (03-25-2021)
Old 08-15-2005
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
I've had 3 gears replaced in my 2K1...it's a manual.
Old 08-15-2005
My car breaks and explodes for no apparent reason.

MugenTak is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 EX Coupe. 2 gears, 2 synchros and a shift fork.
Old 08-15-2005
Eddie is so hot. *sigh* I want him......BAD

dawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant futuredawn01civ has a brilliant future
2001 Automatic.. trans rebuilt.
Old 08-15-2005
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
01 civic auto... tranny didn't go into gear, needed to be rebuilt. so its still in my back yard
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a 01 EX manual and i've had no trany problems, no grinds in any gears and the car has been driven really hard, I used to have a GS-R so I tend to try and make this car go faster than it will. I did change my manual trany fluid at 40,000 and now I have 58,000. Just wanted to post seeing as everyone is mentioning the 01.
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
2001 trans rebuilt at 30k by honda bad synros in 2nd and 3rd.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jugadro
Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 for Implied Warranties.
what does the act state?
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

hk2ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I got an 01 ex 5 speed and have a messed up clacking sound. Honda says it might be a clutch disk or throw out bearing . A honda adjuster had to come look at my car and make his report. I think its something internal and waiting on word about warranty but the way they have been talking to me it seems like they are gonna try to sc@w me cause I have aftermarket parts. Well I hope they are ready for a battle because I got the federal law on my side and Im not gonna take the b.s.
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
I have had no work done to mine....but i do grind from 2nd - 3rd and have trouble going into reverse sometimes and it grinds.

It is a '01 EX M/T
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
01 honda auto. Code said bad torque converter, solenoid and pump... Replaced it with a used tranny and its not working either. The code on it says Shift Control System, still trying to find out the exact problem(possibly having old one rebuilt or this "used" which supposedly has 55k on it.

Injen
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Hypnotized is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend has an 01 Civic LX Auto and had to have his transmission rebuilt due to slippage. Rediculous.
Old 08-15-2005
Wish I had a Turbo 3)

04|5spdCivic can only hope to improve
i've had an entire transmission replaced in my 04 civic manual because a bolt broke and completely smashed all my gears.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

noestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2002 civic ex auto. At 52,000k tranny started slipping and gave out 2 days later. Had car towed to dealer. They said code reader read "incorrect gear ratio" and it was unrepairable. They replaced tranny with what they said was a new one. The color of tranny said otherwise, it had a darker tone than my engine and looked dirtier than my broken tranny, oh well. If it breaks again they better replace it, again.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
01 ex auto, was acting up after bout 60k km, then one day it was throwing a TPS sensor code, then bang, gave me incorrect gear ratio, did a ecu reset it drove for a bit then went to limp mode long enough to drive it to a tranny shop. Replaced it w/an 02 or 01 tranny, dont remember (got it from salvage) runs like new FOR NOW.... shop told me one cause of it dieing was some bad solenoids
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

jugadro is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Magnuson-Moss Act

Originally Posted by streetglower
what does the act state?
In a nutshell, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (concerning Implied Warranties) states that any product that does not perform well in a reasonable amount of time (like my 57,000 mile civic transmission) is covered under a fairly unknown, unwritten, and unspoken warranty. This is even if the written warranty has already expired.

Here's a more lengthly description:
Magnuson-Moss Act

From my understanding, you may need to really fight this. You may even need a lawyer but I hear there are many that will do this for free and collect payment from the auto manufacturer. I'm pretty sure all 50 states are inclusive in this.

Now if you don't take good care of your car, looks like a pile of crap, or maybe even race it hard or beat on it, your chances of warranty may be a bit slimmer. But hey - I dunno.

All I know is that I've owned 2 other Hondas (88 Prelude & 89 Civic) and both lasted well over 200,000 miles with no major mechanical work needed. Let's hope Honda will keep the integrity of their reputation.
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

Island2K2 is an unknown quantity at this point
my 2002 civic ex mt . has had 3 motors and the transmission repaired twice 3rd and 5th and reverse went out the first time , then reverse went out again. now im riding around with no second gear... this time im getting a used one and putting it in myself
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

02cvcEX will become famous soon enough02cvcEX will become famous soon enough
wow! i had no idea slipping trannys were so common for civics..

anywho, i have a 02 civic ex auto and my tranny is slipping right now

and i just had my fuel pump replaced because it crapped out on me i found out the hard way it was broken... i drove down 1 block and it stalled on me 6 times

if u have any great advice to give me for fixing my tranny, plz pm me!!
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

01civicexboy is an unknown quantity at this point
2 blown tranny's
2001 ex coupe
61k miles
auto
Old 08-17-2005

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
tranny is making a TON of noise right now. I'm pretty sure it is the throw -out. And it also grinds and pops out of 2nd a lot. Pretty much a piece of crap.
125k Kms, 4.5 year old 2001 LX 5spd
Honda quality ain't what it used to be!
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jugadro
In a nutshell, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (concerning Implied Warranties) states that any product that does not perform well in a reasonable amount of time (like my 57,000 mile civic transmission) is covered under a fairly unknown, unwritten, and unspoken warranty. This is even if the written warranty has already expired.

Here's a more lengthly description:
Magnuson-Moss Act

From my understanding, you may need to really fight this. You may even need a lawyer but I hear there are many that will do this for free and collect payment from the auto manufacturer. I'm pretty sure all 50 states are inclusive in this.

Now if you don't take good care of your car, looks like a pile of crap, or maybe even race it hard or beat on it, your chances of warranty may be a bit slimmer. But hey - I dunno.

All I know is that I've owned 2 other Hondas (88 Prelude & 89 Civic) and both lasted well over 200,000 miles with no major mechanical work needed. Let's hope Honda will keep the integrity of their reputation.
people need to understand that manufactures have no idea how long a part will last and people need to understand that some parts last the life of the car while others may fail at 10 miles after leaving the dealership. There is nothing out there that says a transmission should last 200,000 miles. there is nothing out there that says it should last 10,000 miles. It will last untill something breaks or fails. Now I understand someone complaining if they are out of warranty and the problem with there tranny may relate to a service bulliten out there, or if you are complaing if you have had 3 bad trannies, but most people are complaining because there tranny has now failed or is failing and they are out of warranty and they dont want to fork out the cost.

Well like I said, PARTS FAIL, some earlier then others. If you are so worried about forking out the cost to fix it, then go out and buy an extended warranty. Otherwise live with the fact that your tranny is failing and you may need it rebuilt or need a new one and you have to pay for it.

I think that if you are going to go to the dealership and complain that you dont feel your tranny should have failed so soon and you want them to fix it for free, you are just waisting your time. Especially if you have no warranty. thats your fault. If your car is past 100,000 miles and it fails, there isnt anything you can do. I have worked at a dealer and have seen people complain like this before. And the answer they get is "why didnt you buy an extended warranty".

but if you want to go to the dealer and try to have them fix it for free, then I am all for it. I am just warning you, be prepared to be handed down the facts that I stated above.

Everyone keeps saying honda quality isnt like it used to be or that they built bad trannies, but I disagree. I think hondas are built really well. Better then most cars out there, thus the reason why everybody and there mothers has a honda. But realize that honda doesnt see this as a problem otherwise there would be recalls and what not. As far as I know there is one service bulliten out there for the standard trannies with 2nd and 5th gear popping out. thats it. If I am wrong please correct me.

But if your tranny has failed, I feel for you as it is an expensive repair.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-17-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2005

Honda quality isnt like it used to be. The 01 specifically is a piece of poop. I love my car, but it is falling apart. There are a handful of very major problems that a LOT of people are having. It all boils down to Honda cutting corners. Look back at the 4th+5th gens. Those were awesome machines, and I've seen many of them take daily beatings for 250k and still in better shape than my car.
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by liljoe
Honda quality isnt like it used to be. The 01 specifically is a piece of poop. I love my car, but it is falling apart. There are a handful of very major problems that a LOT of people are having. It all boils down to Honda cutting corners. Look back at the 4th+5th gens. Those were awesome machines, and I've seen many of them take daily beatings for 250k and still in better shape than my car.
you have to realize that in 2001 was the year honda changed the civic. That is basically the year when all the crap came out and honda realized what they needed to change. they found out what worked and what didnt work and in 02 they had alot of the bugs fixed. But that is something you will see with any auto maker when they change the models around. It will happen again when honda changes up the civic. Honda had the same problem when the 6thgens came out, but over the years they got better and by 98-00 is when they were at its best. Same with the 03-05. things are alot better now. There are still problems here and there, but not many.

But I dont think honda cuts corners. I bet if you started a poll on this site, you would have more people who love there civic and are happy with it then people who hate it or have had major problems.
Old 08-17-2005

okay i agree that the 01 and maybe 02 were the first in line after major changes, and that brings about some problems. But the overall design/quality is a little sub-par for Honda IMO. Compare with the 4th gen. It was lighter, more solidly built, faster, and really didnt have any major problems. The 7thgens have a cheaper design. Front struts, paper thin sheet metal, plastic intake manifold. And fairly poor quality on parts. I have replaced my front struts twice, replaced front bushings, replaced a dead alternator, replaced a wheel bearing. Now my transmission is toast, and my head gasket is blown. I am turbo'd, but everyone boosting with the 01 has that problem because of the paper composite head gasket. I have had friends with 7thgens repace guage clusters, sensors, throttle bodies, transmissions, struts, more struts, exhaust manifolds, alternators. I seriously know people with Cavaliers and Focus who have less problems with their cars.
I like my car, more for what I have done with it than anything. And I like Honda's. But I never would have bought this car if I knew how crappy it was going to be. I would have saved a few bucks and bought a 95 hatch or something. It probably would have outlasted my 01.

I really hope Honda catches on to why they became so poular in the first place and goes back to their roots. Building good quality cars that are fun to drive.
There is a reason people in the import scene are straying away from Honda lately, and it has a lot to do with the 7thgen.
Old 08-17-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
okay i agree that the 01 and maybe 02 were the first in line after major changes, and that brings about some problems. But the overall design/quality is a little sub-par for Honda IMO. Compare with the 4th gen. It was lighter, more solidly built, faster, and really didnt have any major problems. The 7thgens have a cheaper design. Front struts, paper thin sheet metal, plastic intake manifold. And fairly poor quality on parts. I have replaced my front struts twice, replaced front bushings, replaced a dead alternator, replaced a wheel bearing. Now my transmission is toast, and my head gasket is blown. I am turbo'd, but everyone boosting with the 01 has that problem because of the paper composite head gasket. I have had friends with 7thgens repace guage clusters, sensors, throttle bodies, transmissions, struts, more struts, exhaust manifolds, alternators. I seriously know people with Cavaliers and Focus who have less problems with their cars.
I like my car, more for what I have done with it than anything. And I like Honda's. But I never would have bought this car if I knew how crappy it was going to be. I would have saved a few bucks and bought a 95 hatch or something. It probably would have outlasted my 01.

I really hope Honda catches on to why they became so poular in the first place and goes back to their roots. Building good quality cars that are fun to drive.
There is a reason people in the import scene are straying away from Honda lately, and it has a lot to do with the 7thgen.

ok..I'll go out on a limb and say I'm one of the friends you're talking about..lol

I've had my struts replaced 4 times. 3 because they broke and the 4th time because Honda felt bad and sent me a letter to get 04's when they came out along with $100 to spend at any dealership.

I've had 2 alternators and 3 A/C compressors.

I've had the IAC valve changed

3 gears in my tranny (5MT)

Seat rails swapped on the driver side

The car has NEVER idled properly

I don't know..I could go on probably...now I'm just getting mad..lol

I'm selling it next month and getting a 92-95 hatch or coupe and a bike.
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Well we could argue back and forth all day, and I really dont want to do that. But I do understand where you are coming from. I on the other hand, havent experience any problems yet. I have had to replace the fuel pump and thats it. I also had to replace the oil pan because I fuked it up, but nothing major. All other stuff is normal maintanence. And I am 700 miles shy of 100,000 miles.
But I guess some of us have had more problems then others, and some havent had any problems. All I am trying to get at is I have seen too many people trying to get the dealer to replace items for free after they are out of warranty complaining that there stuff should have lasted longer when parts can fail at any time.
But I hope everything works out the best for everyone.
Old 08-17-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Pharoh
ok..I'll go out on a limb and say I'm one of the friends you're talking about..lol

I've had my struts replaced 4 times. 3 because they broke and the 4th time because Honda felt bad and sent me a letter to get 04's when they came out along with $100 to spend at any dealership.

I've had 2 alternators and 3 A/C compressors.

I've had the IAC valve changed

3 gears in my tranny (5MT)

Seat rails swapped on the driver side

The car has NEVER idled properly

I don't know..I could go on probably...now I'm just getting mad..lol

I'm selling it next month and getting a 92-95 hatch or coupe and a bike.

wow... after the 3rd set of struts I would have told them it's a lemon, take it back.
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Fatbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 lx auto. tranny replaced at 70k. front suspension replaced.
2001 civics are a piece of crap.
Old 08-17-2005

Originally Posted by streetglower
Well we could argue back and forth all day
Not arguing, just displaying my disapointment with the big "H"
I't good to here you havent had any problems. I was okay with the first couple things that went wrong on my car, but now I'm past warranty and It has cost me $$. I'll be swapping in the future, so hopefully my trans. holds out till then
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

ReD2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
01 civic lx ive had 2 transmissions, synchros have gone bad, had a rebuilt transmission that one also acted up and all the gears went completely bad and had to get a new transmission, now this transmission that i have now the third gear syncrho is almost gone and grinding dirty.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's had a bad transmission? *UPDATED*