Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window Weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Window Weatherstrip

Hi, I've been around in the forums a couple of days now n I am getting a 2001 Civic Si (Cdn). The thing is that a part about 3.5" of the weatherstrip on the passenger window is tucked in somehow by the power window and is flexed in a horrible way/shape when pulled back out. Would this cause water to go in if it is pulled back out and how much would it cost to get another weatherstrip, how hard would it be to replace it urself and if it is replaced by a mechanic, how much would he charge for labour? (estimate) Please state US$ or Cdn$.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
This is what I would do, pull it out, go to the car wash, spray water at it and have someone insde to see if it leaks in. Don't go crazy with the power wash though, the seal will never see rain as powerful as the power washer. If it leaks, look into replacing it.

I can't answer all the cost questions, your best bet would be to call the dealer, they might just give you an estimate over the phone for something that simple, then ask them how much the part costs. If you want to try it yourself, get a service manual and do it. The best service manual is the Helms ($60), but you can get buy with lesser one like chiltin (sp?) for $10. Personally I've never had to replace a seal like that.
Old 08-14-2005
Registered!!

Geek94 is an unknown quantity at this point
This has also happened to my car on the passenger side. The weather seal has folded in at the top and the side. When I try and pull it out it just folds back in again. It's annoying because it looks so ugly!
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Geek94
This has also happened to my car on the passenger side. The weather seal has folded in at the top and the side. When I try and pull it out it just folds back in again. It's annoying because it looks so ugly!

Does it leak?
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Geek94
My coupe is like this also. It doesn't leak but is ugly. I've rolled up the window and got it to stay to the outside, but the next time the window is rolled down it just goes back in. I've also noticed that if I try to roll the window up going over 60, it doesn't seat and you can hear the wind whistle thru it. I'm pretty sure it would leak then, but when I slow down and roll the window up it's fine.
Old 11-07-2005
Registered!!

Yeah I got the same problem. Very annoying. It also slowed the window going up when it got to it as well and sometimes won't close properly.

No leaks. Took it to a jet wash and made sure it didn't.

Had a service since and honda replaced it under warrentee and everything is back to normal now.
Old 11-07-2005
Registered!!

Since this thread was revived, I'll update my problem. The dealer where I bought my car from did a shabby job in fixing it... didnt even replace it, I think that they jus heated it up n tried to mold it back in shape. Good thing that it doesnt leak... those cheap bastards, never going back there again, unless I have a problem with my windshield in the next 5 months.
Old 11-08-2005
Registered!!

lc8290 is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't leak @ the car wash...01 sedan...does the same thing...in fact now that I think about it the passenger window doesn't roll down all the way. It will go down with about three inches of the window left sticking up
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

Did you get yours "fixed" @ honda?
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

No, got it from another dealer n the warrenty was over.