Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Whine - Normal in 4sp Auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MitzysMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Whine - Normal in 4sp Auto

Hi Guys, I have an 05 LX.... Is it normal to have a transmission whine about 2000-2500 RPM when in 3rd or 4th gear ? I hear it stating about 40-45 mph ?
Old 08-09-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
describe the whine a little better. are you sure that its the tranny?
Old 08-09-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
What happens as you go faster?
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

Mistro is an unknown quantity at this point
No clue but I seem to have that whine too but in all gears but first. Usually only happens when your giving it some gas (accelerating) and only lasts in that range. Sounds pretty nice actually
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by soonercivic
describe the whine a little better. are you sure that its the tranny?
Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure actually... I don't hear it at low speed.. just about 40, sounds like "weeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" Gets faster the faster I go. Doesn't seem to follow the engine. goes away if I floor it at that speed but comes back when I relax. If I put the car in neutral it goes away.

It's not a major big deal, just wondered if it's normal.

See, I've Been kind of disappointed with my new honda... Really liked my 97 accord SE. Had it for over 5 years and zero problems - only complant was the rough accord shifting in the AT.

Since I've gotten my car I've noticed:

--- doors don't line up in all spots (fit and finish issue)
--- my driver sear adjusted doesn't snap back into place
--- this whine
--- the firm ride is still taking some getting used to. Had a Focus 5-spd (sold b/c wife wouldn't drive it) I loved it - it was like riding in a caddie - big adjustment in feel going from that.
--- the car has a torque steer issue. It happens on the lightest acceleration I have to hold the wheel constantly or the car pulls to the right... had the alignment checked and it's right on... If I take my foot of the gas - no issues. They are going to adjust my camber the next visit (i know there are no adjustments.. they are just going to loosen the bolts and tap a little and remeasure - I hope that works. Drove another new one at the dealer when trying to get this issue resolved and it didn't have a torque steer issues. This engine is too light to do that in my opinion.

Sorry for whining - no pun intended
Old 08-09-2005
Powered by Honda

y.0. KiLLa is an unknown quantity at this point
yea its normall, i hear it on alot of hondas..mine does that too..
Old 08-10-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MitzysMan
--- this whine

--- the car has a torque steer issue. It happens on the lightest acceleration I have to hold the wheel constantly or the car pulls to the right... had the alignment checked and it's right on... If I take my foot of the gas - no issues. They are going to adjust my camber the next visit (i know there are no adjustments.. they are just going to loosen the bolts and tap a little and remeasure - I hope that works. Drove another new one at the dealer when trying to get this issue resolved and it didn't have a torque steer issues. This engine is too light to do that in my opinion.
It's possible the differential in the car is not working properly, as a result you are getting more power delivered to one side than the other. There should not be problem with torque streer on a stock civic with a auto, I mean you get a little tiny bit when you take off, but that's with any lighter FWD car. I would reccomend you to get this looked at by a professional, hopefully the car is still under warranty and the dealer can handle this.

On a side note, you say the accord was a nicer car, and I have to agree. I've had 3 Accords now all auto and I have to say they have nice AT's.
Old 08-10-2005

Ahh yes, what does the car do when you turn?
Old 08-10-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
It's possible the differential in the car is not working properly, as a result you are getting more power delivered to one side than the other. There should not be problem with torque streer on a stock civic with a auto, I mean you get a little tiny bit when you take off, but that's with any lighter FWD car. I would reccomend you to get this looked at by a professional, hopefully the car is still under warranty and the dealer can handle this.

On a side note, you say the accord was a nicer car, and I have to agree. I've had 3 Accords now all auto and I have to say they have nice AT's.
I have it scheduled at the dealer this week. I only have 1000 miles on the car so it's covered. I guess if this dealer can't fix it I'll take it to the one in the next town.
Old 08-10-2005
Registered!!

Ahh yes, what does the car do when you turn?
I have to hold the wheel more that I think I should. The car never pulls out of my hand, just seems like when I turn right I have to hold it left so it doesn't turn to far... when I turn left I have to pull harder left to make it turn.
Old 08-10-2005

Originally Posted by MitzysMan
I have it scheduled at the dealer this week. I only have 1000 miles on the car so it's covered. I guess if this dealer can't fix it I'll take it to the one in the next town.

If they can't fix it, just keep taking it back, it might become a lemon. You really don't want to be stuck with it.
Old 08-10-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
If they can't fix it, just keep taking it back, it might become a lemon. You really don't want to be stuck with it.
Yeah... it shouldn't do that at all. I can barely get torque steer when I floor it.
Keep bugging the dealer, something IS out of whack.

I liked my previous 2 accords better as well. This car isn't bad, but it was a mistake in hindsight. Next one will be a used accord again. I miss the smooth ride.
Old 08-11-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
considering I had that similar whine.. before my tranny died on me I would take it in if I was you
Old 08-11-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
if i floor it off the line in my 5spd, i get a little pull to the left, but i heard that is normal, and it has done it in every other 7th gen ive driven.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

noestitch is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same whine at about 50k miles on my 02 civic atuo. Soon after, the tranny gave out. Luckily I had an extended warranty and was covered by the dealer. Dealer stated the code reader said incorrect gear ratio, whatever that meant, they couldn't figured it out so they replaced the tranny with a new one.
Old 08-20-2005
Registered!!

I went to the dealer this week. They said the whine was normal. Nor sure I believe him. B/C the say tech said the car pulling to the right was normal. But it ended up being a bad tire.
Old 08-20-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its prolly alternator whine. as long as you have warranty, just keep driving. if its a problem, something will break eventually.
Old 08-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
its prolly alternator whine. as long as you have warranty, just keep driving. if its a problem, something will break eventually.
how can I tell if it's the alternator ? would I here it at idle or how can I best diagnose it ?
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by noestitch
I had the same whine at about 50k miles on my 02 civic atuo. Soon after, the tranny gave out. Luckily I had an extended warranty and was covered by the dealer. Dealer stated the code reader said incorrect gear ratio, whatever that meant, they couldn't figured it out so they replaced the tranny with a new one.

yep same thing happened to me on my first tranny, now i got a replacement(used out of a salvage) and its doing the same thing.

Injen