Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rattles from side air vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Rattles from side air vents

Up to now, I have been able to find and fix every single rattle in my car (5 total). Finding the source is 90% of the battle against rattles... if it can be found, it can be fixed.

Now I have rattles coming from both side air vents near the windows... and I have no idea how the rattles are being produced. Even when I put my hand over the vents, they still rattle, so I think it's something inside the vents. And they're much worse on a cold day... but they do seem to go away after the car is warmed up.

Anybody else have these rattles, and/or suggestions on a fix?

Old 01-01-2002
Registered!!

BamBam is an unknown quantity at this point
I have what seem to be the exact same rattles, and I found out that they are NOT coming from the side air vents but from where the plastic part of dashboard top touches the winshield's left and right plastic pillars.
I can even reproduce this rattling by pushing and relieving the dashboard top part at this same place, but only when the inside temperature is cold (around freezing point).
Which brings me to speculate on why this rattle didn't exist when I bought my car in early November. I then had an odd problem where some sort of oily deposit always covered the inside of my windows. At some moment, I even had to wipe these every other day.
I venture to say that some sort of silicone must have been used on all the plastic parts endings during assembly to prevent this squeaking. Now that constant heating has evaporated this silicone (which condensed on the windows), the awful squeaking has been ruining my driving pleasure, and has brought my conviction that Honda really USED to build well crafted cars.

You say that you have successfully "nailed" 5 more rattles in your car. Since I have to endure annoying rattles in my glove box, in the doors (especially the passenger's door), in the trunk, and apparently on the rear deck, I would appreciate it if you could describe the rattles that your car had, and the way you got to get rid of them.

Happy New Year !

BamBam [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-01-2002
Registered!!

Yes, I am certain my rattles are coming from the vents, because I know about that rattling with the side pillars also... and I fixed that months ago.

Cold weather will often bring up rattles that you never had before cuz nearly everything in your car will shrink slightly in sub-zero temperatures. And so something that was tight-fitting before will be a bit looser now. I had the same problem as you: I never had rattles during the summer... they just started as the weather got colder.

You can easily fix that pillar rattling that you're getting now. Check out this thread first. Now get some of that tubing insulation stuff Cjcivic was talking about. Cut off maybe 1/4 of an inch thick of this tubing and stuff it into that little gap between the pillar and the dashboard, on both the passenger and driver side. Stuff it deep so it can't be seen. You can actually use anything to stuff into that little space, but I find that foam tubing really good cuz it's a black color and is not too noticeable. If it's still rattling, cut off an even thicker piece of foam and stuff it in harder. I can guarantee that this will fix your rattling.

The 3 other rattles I fixed were: 1 right below the steering wheel - there is a panel cover that was slightly loose, so I just used some more of that tubing foam and stuffed it. Then I had 2 other rattles coming from the trunk area: part of the trunk insulation was flapping against the metal frame, so I stuffed an old t-shirt in between the insulation and the frame to fix that.

Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

vncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
would the 2k2 ex coupe be any different. i've got those creaks coming from the same spot (near dash + pillar), but just checked and there's barely any room in between the dash and pillar to squeeze any foam. any special tool that you used?

as for the rattles inside the vents, i can't help you there... i just have rattles coming from the glovebox (which the dealer fixed) and from the dash/pillar. but let us know what you find.
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

younggotti is an unknown quantity at this point
every single part of my car rattles, and the colder it is the worse it continues to get.
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

<< but just checked and there's barely any room in between the dash and pillar to squeeze any foam. any special tool that you used? >>

There's definitely room in my car... I just used a plastic card (like a credit-card, but something less important), and used that to stuff in the foam. Works really well and it got rid of the rattles.

Old 04-18-2002
Registered!!

erikku is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem too.....it's making "click click" noise in my LHS near air vent area.......Anyone could kindly give me any advice to fix it?
THANKS A LOT