Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heater problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reganlives is an unknown quantity at this point
Heater problem

hello everyone! I'm new here and just bought a 2000 Civic 1.4i S, 5 door. I'm from the UK and I believe that this 5 door version was only available in the UK but thought that you lot could help me...

I've got a problem with the heater in my car. As far as I know its a common problem in the 5 door civic as my friend has the same shape civic and has the same problem. When I try to turn my heater on, on setting one and two it doesnt go on at all but then when I set it to setting three it'll come on at the speed that it should be at setting three. Whats the problem and how can I fix it? Is it a relay or somethin thats gone or do I need to replace the heater control?

Thanks in advance everyone..
Old 02-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Well if it uses a resistor block, then you need to see if the connections for the first and second setting are loose or disconnected. The resistor block is a device with about 4 resistors on it. When you turn your control on low, power goes through all the resistors, and each setting up, it will bypass a resistor untill on the highest setting, it goes through only one resistor. You might also need a new resistor block. Those first resistors might have gone bad.

See if that car uses one of those and check that. If not, see what other device is used for the setting, but it probably uses a resistor block.
Old 02-07-2005
Registered!!

ok...thanks mate...will look into that...where u think the resistor block will be? behind the heater controls?

also...if there's anyone from the uk here that is familiar with the 5 door civic then I would most appreciate ur help...thanks..
Old 02-07-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by reganlives
ok...thanks mate...will look into that...where u think the resistor block will be? behind the heater controls?

also...if there's anyone from the uk here that is familiar with the 5 door civic then I would most appreciate ur help...thanks..
usually next to the blower motor. But it could be anywhere behind the control head.
Old 02-08-2005
Registered!!

where is the blower motor as this is the first honda I've owned? Used to have a mitsubishi colt (mirage) so know a lot more about them compared to civics...
Old 02-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by reganlives
where is the blower motor as this is the first honda I've owned? Used to have a mitsubishi colt (mirage) so know a lot more about them compared to civics...
blower motor is usually next to the evaparator case. It is behind the dash usually on the passanger side.
Old 02-08-2005
Registered!!

ahh..right..think I know where u mean...it kinda behind the glovebox? thanks for ur help mate.