Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"THE GREAT BLIZZARD OF 05" SUCKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005
tko
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tko is an unknown quantity at this point
"THE GREAT BLIZZARD OF 05" SUCKS!!!

im not sure if anyone has had a similar problem posted yet but searching didnt work, i have a leased vehicle so im not sure whether i should have to come out of pocket if this falls under warranty but here goes.......

we just had the "Great Blizzard of 05" yesterday in the northeast and i had to go to work today. Needless to say it was a task, so in backing up out of my driveway my rear pass. side wheel hits a mound of snow shovelled from out of the driveway. i try to get out and burn my way through the snow on top down to the ice below and go nowhere fast, well after getting help to get out i get on the road going slow most of the time but one road was clear enough for me to hit about 40-50, so in doing so my car starts to shake VIOLENTLY, im thinking maybe im losing traction...( like punching it from a stop) but later on tonight it continued on clear roads
when i had my probe runnin i had a problem with i believe the axle joint or somethin which made the car do the same thing(steering wheel go back and forth and car shake but that was around 70+) other than maybe that or and unbalanced wheel from my run in i cant guess what the problem is or how serious it could potentially be,
Any one have an idea?

TKO
Old 01-23-2005
Registered!!

phydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, ya know, I actually had the same problem goin on this morning. Well, it kind of started last night, after I was out powersliding around my friend's development going pretty slow, but I hit like two curbs, so I figured that it may have been dented rims / alignment problem / maybe even lugs? When I woke up this morning, it was also shaking violently on the way back on the highway, and after having the car sit around for most of the day, I got back in to drive home, and it seems to have stopped for the most part, so I'm not really sure what it could have been, but I tightened up my lugs anyway. It seems to have stopped now, but I'd be interested in hearing your outcome. By the way, I'm right here in jersey, too
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in NYC. I have the same exact problem with you guys. Few peoples at the wheels & tires section said that it could cause by the snow or ice around the wheels or tires.

This morning, when I was on the highway going 50-60mph, the whole car was vibrating extremely. I felt like I was sitting on a massage chair but after driving about 10 miles, the vibration was less & this time it only happened when I'm going 60mph & above. The faster I go, the worse it gets. It just stay that way for the whole day.

I'm gonna try to get a car wash today & see what happen. I'll let you guys know.
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

RITDR is an unknown quantity at this point
Knock the snow/ice out from the inside of your wheels and everything will be fine.
Used to happen to me all of the time when e-brake sliding in the snow.
Old 01-24-2005
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
yep.. clean out yer rims/steelies its so weird you can feel even a handful of snow..
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
i'm in the same vote. i thought it was just because there was so much snow and ice stuck underneath my car? i'm hoping once it metls away it will be fine. i thought my car was going to fall apart it was shaking so bad. but yeah, it only happened at 50+mph...
Old 01-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My tires had frozen to the ground. I have an auto and put it in reverse, nothing. Gave it gas, nothing. Finally got hot water and poured everywhere. I had to rev it more but finally broke out. Then The treads were covered in ice, so I had to drive around slowly to melt it off. It wasn't a smooth ride to say the least. And my capipers or something with the brakes felt like they were frozen and sticking for a while. Well it all went away after some slow in town driving for about 30 mins.
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

phydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
My tires had frozen to the ground. I have an auto and put it in reverse, nothing. Gave it gas, nothing. Finally got hot water and poured everywhere. I had to rev it more but finally broke out. Then The treads were covered in ice, so I had to drive around slowly to melt it off. It wasn't a smooth ride to say the least. And my capipers or something with the brakes felt like they were frozen and sticking for a while. Well it all went away after some slow in town driving for about 30 mins.
Yeah, Ive had my calipers ice up quite a few times. I'm also an auto, and I've found that when they freeze, I usually have to rev to about 3000, at which point I'l break free in drive, but they can't stick after that, but sometimes feel a little slippery.
Old 01-24-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I had to drive through some rough half-frozen ice and snow spots at my gf's place this past weekend (heavy snowfall). Now my rear right shock is making a clicking noise. Grrrr....
Old 01-24-2005
tko
Registered!!

tko is an unknown quantity at this point
pheeww!!

damn this sonuds like a relief, i'll probably get a hose or car wash to try and get the ice from the wheels/rims...i have a bunch of errands to run today and i'll feel if i cant do 50 and everyone else is passing me lol
thanks for the input

TKO
Old 01-24-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Same thing happened to me!
Old 01-24-2005
Registered!!

supertikkigod is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 01-25-2005
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
^lol, looks familiar
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah probably snow and ice. that'll do it, no other explanation seems right or justified.
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by supertikkigod
been there, done that. Looks too funny in a picture ! In real life its depressing mostly when it happens to you.
Almost got me killed. Brakes froze up and I couldn't stop.
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Ice, snow, or mud adheres to the inside of the wheels, throwing off the balance. Think about it, they add ounces for balance, it would only take a few to throw things off.

Use a high pressure washer to wash out the inside of the wheels and wheel wells. That should help, and warm weather.