Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   "THE GREAT BLIZZARD OF 05" SUCKS!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/193575-great-blizzard-05-sucks.html)

tko 01-23-2005 11:32 PM

"THE GREAT BLIZZARD OF 05" SUCKS!!!

im not sure if anyone has had a similar problem posted yet but searching didnt work, i have a leased vehicle so im not sure whether i should have to come out of pocket if this falls under warranty but here goes.......

we just had the "Great Blizzard of 05" yesterday in the northeast and i had to go to work today. Needless to say it was a task, so in backing up out of my driveway my rear pass. side wheel hits a mound of snow shovelled from out of the driveway. i try to get out and burn my way through the snow on top down to the ice below and go nowhere fast, well after getting help to get out i get on the road going slow most of the time but one road was clear enough for me to hit about 40-50, so in doing so my car starts to shake VIOLENTLY, im thinking maybe im losing traction...( like punching it from a stop) but later on tonight it continued on clear roads :(
when i had my probe runnin i had a problem with i believe the axle joint or somethin which made the car do the same thing(steering wheel go back and forth and car shake but that was around 70+) other than maybe that or and unbalanced wheel from my run in i cant guess what the problem is or how serious it could potentially be,
Any one have an idea?

TKO

phydo 01-23-2005 11:44 PM

Hmm, ya know, I actually had the same problem goin on this morning. Well, it kind of started last night, after I was out powersliding around my friend's development going pretty slow, but I hit like two curbs, so I figured that it may have been dented rims / alignment problem / maybe even lugs? When I woke up this morning, it was also shaking violently on the way back on the highway, and after having the car sit around for most of the day, I got back in to drive home, and it seems to have stopped for the most part, so I'm not really sure what it could have been, but I tightened up my lugs anyway. It seems to have stopped now, but I'd be interested in hearing your outcome. By the way, I'm right here in jersey, too :)

TSSCivic 01-24-2005 12:26 AM

I'm in NYC. I have the same exact problem with you guys. Few peoples at the wheels & tires section said that it could cause by the snow or ice around the wheels or tires.

This morning, when I was on the highway going 50-60mph, the whole car was vibrating extremely. I felt like I was sitting on a massage chair but after driving about 10 miles, the vibration was less & this time it only happened when I'm going 60mph & above. The faster I go, the worse it gets. It just stay that way for the whole day.

I'm gonna try to get a car wash today & see what happen. I'll let you guys know.

RITDR 01-24-2005 06:54 AM

Knock the snow/ice out from the inside of your wheels and everything will be fine.
Used to happen to me all of the time when e-brake sliding in the snow.

againifall 01-24-2005 08:28 AM

yep.. clean out yer rims/steelies its so weird you can feel even a handful of snow..

HondaSales 01-24-2005 08:31 AM

i'm in the same vote. i thought it was just because there was so much snow and ice stuck underneath my car? i'm hoping once it metls away it will be fine. i thought my car was going to fall apart it was shaking so bad. but yeah, it only happened at 50+mph...

gearbox 01-24-2005 08:49 AM

My tires had frozen to the ground. I have an auto and put it in reverse, nothing. Gave it gas, nothing. Finally got hot water and poured everywhere. I had to rev it more but finally broke out. Then The treads were covered in ice, so I had to drive around slowly to melt it off. It wasn't a smooth ride to say the least. And my capipers or something with the brakes felt like they were frozen and sticking for a while. Well it all went away after some slow in town driving for about 30 mins.

phydo 01-24-2005 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
My tires had frozen to the ground. I have an auto and put it in reverse, nothing. Gave it gas, nothing. Finally got hot water and poured everywhere. I had to rev it more but finally broke out. Then The treads were covered in ice, so I had to drive around slowly to melt it off. It wasn't a smooth ride to say the least. And my capipers or something with the brakes felt like they were frozen and sticking for a while. Well it all went away after some slow in town driving for about 30 mins.

Yeah, Ive had my calipers ice up quite a few times. I'm also an auto, and I've found that when they freeze, I usually have to rev to about 3000, at which point I'l break free in drive, but they can't stick after that, but sometimes feel a little slippery.

TeLLy 01-24-2005 10:25 AM

I had to drive through some rough half-frozen ice and snow spots at my gf's place this past weekend (heavy snowfall). Now my rear right shock is making a clicking noise. Grrrr....

tko 01-24-2005 10:36 AM

pheeww!!

damn this sonuds like a relief, i'll probably get a hose or car wash to try and get the ice from the wheels/rims...i have a bunch of errands to run today and i'll feel :giggle: if i cant do 50 and everyone else is passing me :argue: lol
thanks for the input

TKO

QBoi 01-24-2005 05:38 PM

Same thing happened to me!

supertikkigod 01-24-2005 09:06 PM

http://www.supertikkigod.com/pics/snow/civicsnow.jpg

HondaSales 01-25-2005 05:03 PM

^lol, looks familiar

ty.barrack 01-26-2005 01:30 PM

yeah probably snow and ice. that'll do it, no other explanation seems right or justified.

AlienX 01-28-2005 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by supertikkigod

been there, done that. Looks too funny in a picture ! :) In real life its depressing mostly when it happens to you.
Almost got me killed. Brakes froze up and I couldn't stop.

rickinthescv 01-29-2005 08:29 PM

Ice, snow, or mud adheres to the inside of the wheels, throwing off the balance. Think about it, they add ounces for balance, it would only take a few to throw things off.

Use a high pressure washer to wash out the inside of the wheels and wheel wells. That should help, and warm weather.