Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

brake squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotrice will become famous soon enough
brake squeaking noise

my brakes now squeak whenever i let off the brake. it doesnt happen when i hit the brake and its not that the brakes are worn because i dont hear the safety pin, but it only happens once i stop or hit the brake and i let off that it squeaks whats the deal?
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

slvrcivic will become famous soon enoughslvrcivic will become famous soon enough
does it eventually go away? Like squeek for a little bit and then stop? I had a problem with my taurus sho that sounds like your problem. My brake caliper was actually seizing up. It would stick when I put my brakes on just enough to rub for a while. Then they would release until the next stop. I had to end up replacing one of my calipers. Maybe?
Old 08-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
mine do that too. When I let off the brake, I hear a squeaking noise from the rear. I wouldnt worry about it. I had it on my last car and this car and there isnt any problems with my brakes. Brakes are noisy. Just to be on the safe side, check all 4 brakes and see if there is a problem, otherwise you are ok.
Old 08-16-2004

shady88 can only hope to improve
when the brake pads are installed, it is a good idea to apply some brake grease/compound to the metal shim between the pad and the caliper, it prevents the squeaks at slow speed braking and reverse braking, its like $1.50 for a little packet at the parts store. that may be the problem.
Old 08-16-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
some brake noise can be contributed to moister in the air.
Old 08-16-2004

it only squeaks when i let off the break, its not a continous squeak. its just hold brake down like when at a stop light and then green light let go of break and squeak, thats it, but you can hear it clearly and i find it kinda of embarrassing.
Old 08-16-2004
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
how many miles? maybe your seals are shot, or maybe you need to bleed your lines. I personally would check pad wear, the clip that sqeaks when your pads are thinning only makes noise when you are off the brakes, it stops when you are on the brakes..
Old 08-17-2004

are you talking about that safety pin we have that lets us know when our pads are running thin, that constant noise it makes? well its not that. its just a squeak not a continous squeak. its like if you sit on a old couch and when you get up the couch squeaks but stops once your off it. miles are running at 35,000. would this trigger my check engine light? it has recently turned on but have no clue what is wrong with it and honda isnt checking it till next week?
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gotrice
are you talking about that safety pin we have that lets us know when our pads are running thin, that constant noise it makes? well its not that. its just a squeak not a continous squeak. its like if you sit on a old couch and when you get up the couch squeaks but stops once your off it. miles are running at 35,000. would this trigger my check engine light? it has recently turned on but have no clue what is wrong with it and honda isnt checking it till next week?
ok this noise is normal. I have it. Everytime I let off the brake, I get a squeak noise. It is normal. All you need to do is remove all 4 of your wheels and check. But from past experience, the noise I think comes from the wheel cylinders in the rear. I think it is telling me they are getting old and need replacing. I havent replaced mine because they are not leaking or anything and still run my rear brakes. Have those checked out as well. If the cylinders arent what causes the noise, then I wouldnt worry about it because if your brakes still work and everything looks fine, then your ok.
Old 08-17-2004
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
wtf...what cylinders? rear drum brakes are composed of drums and shoes...
Old 08-17-2004
Don't Listen To What Anyone Says, It's Ok To Be Jealous

DrivenConcepts should not be trusted
thers still a small cylinger in th back that separates the shoes. im replaceing my brakes tomorrow
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SkipBarber
wtf...what cylinders? rear drum brakes are composed of drums and shoes...
Yes, and there are wheel cylinders in there. It is those boot looking pieces on the top of the inside of the drum, between both brake shoes.