Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!

Hi,

I found these forums in the hopes I finally find an answer to the most annoying transmission I've ever had...!!!

Ok, I purchased my 2002 Civic EX brand, spankin' new and after a few months I noticed every time I'd slow down, not completely stopping, then hit the gas again my transmission would "jerk" into place. Almost like something wasn't right, or at least it didn't feel right. No other car I ever had did this. Anyway, over the next year I had it to the shop several times, even drained and replaced fluid on occasion and it never really goes away. I don't know if it's my imagination or wishful thinking but one time after a transmission flush and fill it did seem to work a tad better, but it was still there!

This happens after a slow-down, then speed up again, not ever from a dead stop. Like for instance, a stop sign that you don't stop all the way but are rolling just a little? Well, if you hit the gas, I get a bad jerk. I also notice this when I quickly back up, then put it back in drive and go. If you do this kinda fast it will really jerk bad and almost feel like it's "missing" some teeth in the gear box or something!

BTW, Honda finds nothing wrong with this transmission, of course! I've had it in the shop numerous times for this and other issues so I make sure to mention the transmission. It's always the same answer... "Well, Honda's are known for a little clunkyness, it's how the torque slows the car.... blaaa....blaaa...blaaa..." Spare me buddy! LOL

Anyway, is my car crap or does anyone else share this annoying transmission issue?? I am about to sell the "bleep!" thing because I am afraid the transmission will just flat out break apart one day! It just doesn't feel right.

Any ideas? What to do besides tranny fluid? (Been there - done that!!) Can it be fixed or are Honda's just getting cheap now? Figures, as soon as I buy a Honda their transmissions stink...!!

Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Theeyo is an unknown quantity at this point
yehh mine does that too, havent fixed it either, dunno what it is
Old 08-11-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by Theeyo
yehh mine does that too, havent fixed it either, dunno what it is

Now there is two...
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
how hard do you hit the gas? 'cause if you hit it hard enough, auto tranny tend to downshift. and as for going to reverse, you gotta stop completely before shifting to R, or you will hear gas grinding noise.
Old 08-11-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by wonderz
how hard do you hit the gas? 'cause if you hit it hard enough, auto tranny tend to downshift. and as for going to reverse, you gotta stop completely before shifting to R, or you will hear gas grinding noise.
Ok, first off... I baby the thing! I do not "stomp" on the gas or anything. And, I DO stop before I ever put it in reverse. It doesn't matter, if you do all this fast, even after stops (the forward reverse thing) it jerks and skips.

Now, just slowing down and hitting the gas again tends to jerk, sometimes more mild, but it's there! I find myself afraid to step on the gas after I am slowing down, this is how annoying it is. If I ssssslllllooooooooooowwwwllllyyyyyyyyyy apply pressure to the gas it won't jerk but anything more, it does!

For instance, slowing to go around a corner, then applying some gas to speed up... JERKS!

Slowing because the light is red and it changes green and you are already going like 20 miles and hour and then step on the gas (not hard either!) JERKS!

Coming to a traffic stop on the highway and slowing down, then the traffic speeds up to you push the gas to get going faster... JERKS!

Grrrrrrrrrrr....

I am sick of having to baby my silly gas pedal. This shouldn't have to be this way.

(Anyone want to buy my Honda?)

Sorry...just venting!
Old 08-11-2004
Powered by Honda

y.0. KiLLa is an unknown quantity at this point
yea this happens to me too..when i dunt fully stop at the stop sign i hit the gas but i dunt floor it..like i gas it up easily and then the car lags and then it jerks and starts going...yea i have the same problem..im kinda thinkin that its common on our cars..
Old 08-11-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by y.0. KiLLa
yea this happens to me too..when i dunt fully stop at the stop sign i hit the gas but i dunt floor it..like i gas it up easily and then the car lags and then it jerks and starts going...yea i have the same problem..im kinda thinkin that its common on our cars..
Three's a charm...
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's common in our cars. I noticed it too when i first bought my car.
Old 08-11-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by KYjerry414
It's common in our cars. I noticed it too when i first bought my car.
"Come on, ride that train..."

Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yea I have it too, I dont worry to much about it though. It happens sometimes when I go from a light. Oh well.
Old 08-11-2004
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
yeah i have that too...i wouldn''t worry about it too much, its a civic
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior
"Come on, ride that train..."

CHOO CHOO..my car sounds like a train CHOO CHOO
Old 08-13-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I was worried about it too when I got the car, took it into Honda etc...

Rode in my friends 6th (1999 ex coupe) and hers did the same damn thing.

honda tranny's just suck i guess...
Old 08-13-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Yea, I always thought Hondas were good all the way across the board. So much for Consumer Reports! Blaaa... How is the He** can this many people have trouble with the transmissions and the reports show happy customers?

I know one thing, I'll never buy another Honda until they correct it! It's so damn annoying it's not worth the money for a Honda anymore.
Old 08-13-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I think honda is pretty good. I havent had that many problems with mine. And I have sucked up water into my engine and tranny, and when it was drained and what not, it still ran strong. I havent had nearly as many problems with this car as I did with my 98 zx2.
Old 08-13-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. There's no real fix, but you can tighten the throttle cable to make it shift more smoothly. I did it and I rarely get the clunk anymore. A tighter cable means there's less lag when you press the pedal.
Old 08-14-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Yeah, honestly I rarely get it anymore, I used to when it was newer tho...Havent experienced it for a long time.

I think the biggest problems most people have, is they buy a civic and expect BMW quality... You paid for an economy car, you are not going to get the most refined luxury automobile. Yes, its a Honda, and yes its a civic, and its a DAMN good car, but by no means can you compare it to the quality of something higher up the line in Honda's line.... We all got damn good cars, espcially for what we paid.
Old 08-14-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Talking

Originally Posted by gearbox
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. There's no real fix, but you can tighten the throttle cable to make it shift more smoothly. I did it and I rarely get the clunk anymore. A tighter cable means there's less lag when you press the pedal.
I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

BTW, Does anyone know where to find a good service manual on this car? I have the 2002 Civic Ex Sedan. I need it for instruction on how to remove parts. You know, a detailed manual on each and every part, even how to remove the engine if you wanted... not like I would though. An online link would be awesome!

Thanks guys/gals!

Old 08-14-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
www.handa-accessories.com has the official Honda book for like $80. Has everything you can imagine and thicker than most phone books.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

PBussman is an unknown quantity at this point
My transmission does the same thing it got so bad with ny original tran that honda had to replace it a just under 13,000 miles and the new tranny has now started acting the same way that the last one did a few weeks before the last one went. This new tranny has been babyed like crazy and its only 3000 miles and I think its going to go soon. I've decided to look into the 2005 ford focus'.
I had a Explorer before this civic, and at 40,000 when I got the new car in an attemt to save on some repairs and gas it was mainly suspention work that had to be done but I took that thing off road and thats why the shocks and springs were dieing every thing else ran like new.
So I figure that the focus is proble better built then the civic it deffently has more power and its only about a thousand more then the civic but no big deal my parents are loyal ford customers so i think that their dealer will give me a good deal if I mention who they are
Old 08-14-2004
Premium Member

Are you seroius? Ford cars spend most of their time at the shop for warranty work. If you think a tranny going out is bad, what about the thousands of other parts? I don't think you'll be happier with a focus. Have you looked at a mazda3 or scion?
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PBussman
My transmission does the same thing it got so bad with ny original tran that honda had to replace it a just under 13,000 miles and the new tranny has now started acting the same way that the last one did a few weeks before the last one went. This new tranny has been babyed like crazy and its only 3000 miles and I think its going to go soon. I've decided to look into the 2005 ford focus'.
I had a Explorer before this civic, and at 40,000 when I got the new car in an attemt to save on some repairs and gas it was mainly suspention work that had to be done but I took that thing off road and thats why the shocks and springs were dieing every thing else ran like new.
So I figure that the focus is proble better built then the civic it deffently has more power and its only about a thousand more then the civic but no big deal my parents are loyal ford customers so i think that their dealer will give me a good deal if I mention who they are
Damn that sucks. Are you sure you are babying it? It shouldnt go that quick. Do you have a automatic or standard?
Old 08-14-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by PBussman
Although I like my Honda, I'll never...ever.. buy another one.

Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

maybe it is the way most of you all drive. My car is at 72k and I havent had any problems with the tranny except when I sucked water into it, but even them, all it needed was a tranny flush and new TPS sensor, and it is still runny strong. I even drive my car alot, but it still shifts when it is supposed to. Funny thing is, I let mine shift sometimes at 5,6K rpms, and it still works good. Maybe you guys just have really bad luck.
Old 08-14-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by streetglower
maybe it is the way most of you all drive. My car is at 72k and I havent had any problems with the tranny except when I sucked water into it, but even them, all it needed was a tranny flush and new TPS sensor, and it is still runny strong. I even drive my car alot, but it still shifts when it is supposed to. Funny thing is, I let mine shift sometimes at 5,6K rpms, and it still works good. Maybe you guys just have really bad luck.
Too many people experience the same issues, no matter how we drive. I don't think the driving style is the issue here. In fact, I have always had to "baby" my tranny because if I don't, it's much worse! Frankly, I think instead of us having bad luck.. I just think you have been very lucky!

I will write Honda about this, not expecting anything in return but for my piece of mind. I think the manufacturers should definately hear from their customers, bad or good comments. I won't let this one go without a letter, that's for sure. I urge everyone to do the same who does experience this issue.

Thank you.
Old 08-14-2004
Premium Member

I'm gonna try and start changing tranny fluid every year now. Honda says to wait 30k under SEVERE conditions. It doesn't make sense.
Old 08-14-2004
Registered!!

well I dont think one letter will do much. I assume that get thousands of letters, but they still have millions of satisfied customers who keep buying hondas. Well I guess yea, I have been lucky, But I also maintain my car good, and I think that plays a major roll in it. I am not saying you guys dont maintain your car, but there is a reason something is going wrong for the people who have the same problems after it has been fixed or replaced. I could understand if most everyone on this site had tranny problems very early, or even after the tranny has been replaced, then I would think there was a major issue with the construction of the tranny. But since it is a select few people and since there is no recall on the trannys, then I would assume not many people have complained about the problem to honda.
Old 08-17-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by streetglower
well I dont think one letter will do much. I assume that get thousands of letters, but they still have millions of satisfied customers who keep buying hondas. Well I guess yea, I have been lucky, But I also maintain my car good, and I think that plays a major roll in it. I am not saying you guys dont maintain your car, but there is a reason something is going wrong for the people who have the same problems after it has been fixed or replaced. I could understand if most everyone on this site had tranny problems very early, or even after the tranny has been replaced, then I would think there was a major issue with the construction of the tranny. But since it is a select few people and since there is no recall on the trannys, then I would assume not many people have complained about the problem to honda.
Good point. It's not like it's totally busted or non-working, it's just annoying when you drive it and have to feel the urge to baby it so much. Writing a letter, even if it's only one person can make a difference in future models. You never know, I may just buy a Honda in years to come if I hear they come up with a fix. Until then, I probably wouldn't. Again, it's more for my piece of mind and the fact that I did speak up about a known issue. If more people did this these manufacturers would have to listen. If we just sit back and not do anything they will think everything is ok and the problem never goes away.

I'm not trying to argue here, I really do see all sides. I just think in my own mind a letter can't hurt but it could definately help improve the Civic. We all have to agree, there is room for improvement, no matter how nice the Civic is.

Later guys.

p.s. Me still thinks your just lucky!
Old 08-17-2004
Premium Member

I'm not trying to baby it anymore. It's a car and should be able to go when you press the gas. I have extended warranty and still haven't used it on anything major. You know I bet if my tranny goes out, the dealer will blame my "aftermarket" tranny cooler
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

btwracing is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't had any tranny probs (touch wood). I don't baby it too much. I have an auto and get it to rev at around 6000RPM sometimes just to hear the sweet sound of the engine. Honda's are really well-engineered automobiles. Maybe yours was defective.

Peace,
btwracing

Quick Reply: Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!