Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
No it's definately a difference with weight. It adds up. I added tons of dynamat everywhere. Well most of my system is out now and I'm trying to reduce weight. When one other person is in the car, it struggles noticably.
Old 11-17-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
I urge everyone who has this issue to fill out this form and submit it. It doesn't take very long but I think it's a crime how Honda gets away with this and their ratings keep soaring. How in the world they achieve these high ratings is beyond me.

So click on the link below and do your part. I'd also contact Honda directly and make them explain why this happens or how to fix it. Word of mouth is the best advertisement!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php

Thanks.

Last edited by UltimateWarrior; 11-17-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
I think they all have this problem. Just ease on the gas gently so there is a smoother shift. Sometimes if I time it right and hit the gas right when the tranny is downshifting, I hear a huge clunk sound! I think that's horrible and feels like the tranny is coming loose.
yea, i think you people could be having this problem because of your driving habits. the tranny jerks if you hit the gas at the same time the tranny is trying to downshift. you peeps probably like to do rolling stops at stop signs. you brake slightly hard then quickly gas when you dont see any cars to stop for.

i noticed that if i brake slightly hard, then quickly gas, i will sometimes catch the transmission while it's downshifting. it doesn't happen to me too often because i almost always brake gently.
Old 11-21-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah that's what it is. When you're almost at a stop, you press the gas right as the tranny tries to downshift to first. I've only done it a few times and heard a loud clunk sound. Hey anyone notice that the tranny is starting to shift rough compared to before? When the car was fairly new, I could barely feel the shifts. Now it almost feels like I'm driving a stick.
Old 11-21-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
my transmission is just odd... ill feel vtec or like a nice pull, then all of a sudden a nice yank
Old 11-22-2004
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by gearbox
Yeah that's what it is. When you're almost at a stop, you press the gas right as the tranny tries to downshift to first. I've only done it a few times and heard a loud clunk sound. Hey anyone notice that the tranny is starting to shift rough compared to before? When the car was fairly new, I could barely feel the shifts. Now it almost feels like I'm driving a stick.
Yep, it's starting to do that. The shifting isn't smooth any longer. I've noticed this also.

And another thing... I am tired of people saying I drive wrong or abuse my car! (Not you Gearbox, just a general comment) NO, NO, NO! I DO NOT. How many times must I say this. Again, I BABY my car and always have. Now I HAVE to more than anything because if I don't I always feel like my tranny is going to just flat out break!

You see, it's not our driving habits, it's the piece of junk tranny in these Hondas. Just wait and you'll see. When my car was newer it was fine. As the months go by you folks will slowly start to notice it. It's easy to say these things when your tranny is acting fine but once your's starts to act the same way you'll then understand.

No wonder Honda only gives a three year, 36k warranty. They know what they are doing. After 36k the tranny is shot.

BTW, I never made it to a repair shop this weekend... too much on my plate right now. I'm to the point where I don't care anymore. I'll just drive it until it drops from the car one day and then I can get it replaced. Maybe it never will, who knows. I am now to the point where I want to see how long this thing lasts. Will it get worse? Will it just break one day? This should be interesting to say the least.
Old 11-22-2004
Premium Member

Makes me glad I got the extended warranty, but I bet they'll blame a broken tranny on my intake or hids. I mean, my old old 87 jetta that was literally beaten to near death and had almost 200k miles was shifting just fine when I drove it for 3 years. Ture it had alot of other problems, but the auto tranny wasn't one of em.
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

CiViCLiZeD714 is an unknown quantity at this point
reviving and old post but I'm having tranny problems in my 02' LX too. Mine is a little bit different though. At around 35-40mph under normal throttle the car jumps up in revs by about 400-500rpms. Anyone know what it could be? I have intake, header and exhaust on the car. Will the dealership refuse to fix my problem because of those mods?
Old 12-04-2004
Premium Member

Mods have to be proven to cause tranny damage (which they can't). Just take it in. It doesn't sound serious, but it could be early signs of slipping out of gear.
Old 12-09-2004
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
mine tends to do that too and it seems to slip from 2-3 gear....i dunno wut it is
Old 02-23-2005
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i came across an old TSB that might be of interest to you peeps...

Ref #: HSN 0402-16
Issue:April 2002

it's a TSB about hard upshifts, flare, and slippage

oh, and i grabbed it from Mitchel1

Last edited by turboslug; 02-23-2005 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Update:

My tranny seems to be staying the same, at least it's not getting worse.

Like I said earlier, I do notice that it now almost shifts like a stick though. I can take off from a start and if someone was riding along side of me they would swear I had a standard shift tranny. The shifts are no longer smooth like they were when the car was newer. It works, but it's annoying and so is the "clunky/jerky" actions it still dishes out unless I totally baby the way I drive.

I am just waiting until I can unload this car. I'll never buy another Honda product either. Unfortunately I have a few years left to go so I am not enjoying this car at all. And to think, all I ever did was baby this car so it's not my driving style. I've had many vehicles in my life and none of them had tranny problems like this. So much for Honda quality. (at least the transmissions)

I'll probably end of with either a Subaru or Mazda next time around.

Live and learn!
Old 04-13-2005
Premium Member

I agree! Mine has been shifting harder in the last few months. When I first had it, you couldn't even feel it. Now it's almost like stick.
Old 04-20-2005
Registered!!

y2k1civicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine was also doing this. I bought my car brand new, 2001 EX 2dr. I notice my tranny jerky slighly within the first 10000 miles. I kinda ignored it. It steadily got worst and worst. I just got a 90000 mile tune-up, which included changing the ATF. It was still there, even worst after this tune-up. I took it back to Honda a couple days later, they also said that "This is normal." and "Don't worry about it." Now, my car is upto about 101,*** miles. So I'm on my home from work today, and the tranny doesn't want to switch to 2nd or 3rd gear. I managed to get my car to the light in front of my neighborhood. Light turns green, this b*tch is doing 15 mph max not switching gears, when I should be doing 30 or 40 by now. I finally got it to my drive. Now, what do I do?
Old 04-20-2005
Premium Member

Get a new tranny
Old 04-20-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Trade it in for a real car?

Man, if I could unload this thing and not lose my **** I would do it tonight. I cannot stand driving this thing anymore. Every Honda commercial or ad I see I cringe. You'll see over the next five years Honda is gonna lose their **** to better cars like Mazda, Toyota, Subaru, and even Hyundai. How Honda can continue to be praised in beyond me. Their quality really is suffering latley. This new generation of cars really sucks. Years ago they USED to be good. Now, there are far better choices out there.

Good luck man.

I'd take it to a third-party transmission place and see if they can fix it. If they can, send the bill to the dealership and request they pay it. Also speak to the dealership's owner and request payment because they can't fix your transmission. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask! Push em' and see if they bite. If not, file a complaint here:

http://www.bbb.org/

It's probably a waste of time but at least you might get some satifaction out of it?

Old 04-20-2005
Premium Member

They should've done what they did in the HX cvt auto and put a stock tranny cooler. I'm having no problem yet but then again I only have 35k miles.
Old 04-20-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I have 100k now and I am just waiting for the day my tranny just flat out breaks. Then, depending on how much left there is to pay on it I might be able to get out from under it! At this point I could care less if I made any money on it. I'd be happy to break even and chalk it up as a valuable learning experience.

When I sleep at night I have visions....

1. Driving my car into a lake...
2. A big Tornado coming by and sweeping it away...
3. Leaving the keys in it while it's running in a bad neighborhood and walk away...
4. Catching it on fire...
5. Seeing a major Earthquake open up the road and it falls in the crack...
6. Driving through the front window of the home of who designed these transmissions...

Ah yes, then I wake up and back to reality is it.... at least for another two years.

p.s. As you can tell I don't like my car much. You may be wondering why I am here. Well, this is my place to vent I suppose. And I also feel the more bad rap I can give this car the more people will understand that Honda's aren't what they use to be. Don't worry, once this puppy is history, so am I. Until then, you'll have to put up with my antics.. sorry. Hey, at least I can keep a sense of humor about all this!

Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

spilot will become famous soon enoughspilot will become famous soon enough
jesus christ...after reading this thread last night, i've been kinda bummed lol...bought my 2k1 ex a few weeks ago, and already thinking about selling it, and getting the 00' ex...i'm assuming it doesn't have all of those problems lol
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by spilot
jesus christ...after reading this thread last night, i've been kinda bummed lol...bought my 2k1 ex a few weeks ago, and already thinking about selling it, and getting the 00' ex...i'm assuming it doesn't have all of those problems lol
Remember though this is not a problem with all Civics, I've never had a single problem with my 03 EL (same auto tranny used on the Civics).

Last edited by EL-Sport; 05-02-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

True, it may not happen on all of them but there are plenty of people just on this site who have experienced this. I wonder how many others out there in this world also have this issue?
Old 04-28-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by spilot

I'd be bummed too reading all this crap. But hey, your car might not even do this. It appears it happens on some and not others, go figure. I wouldn't worry about it unless you really start to feel this, even if it's slight cause it will get worse. In my opinion, once you start to feel it acting goofy like we all talked about then maybe you can unload it or trade it in before anyone really notices it.

If I tried to sell mine right now as soon as someone drove it they would notice and run for the hills. So, I'm stuck with my issue and Honda won't do anything about it. I'd love to see the "consumer" reports on Honda products five years from now. I bet they won't have the high ratings they once had. How could they unless the whole industry rating crap is fixed, which wouldn't surprise me.

Good Luck and pay attention to anything unusual and act on it fast or you'll be stuck driving an annoying POS forever.
Old 05-01-2005
Registered!!

Cyclosporine is an unknown quantity at this point
i've got that problem....i just don't noticed it much since i'm distracted by all the rattle, strange unexplained suspension noises, and the engine screamig like crazy while i'm doing 50mph that this worthless POS puts me trough every single day.... although, it's gotten like crazy lately... and i'm only on 85k miles considering it's a 4 year old 2001 EX...
Old 05-15-2005
Registered!!

spilot will become famous soon enoughspilot will become famous soon enough
well, i've finally noticed the jerk going from 2nd to 3rd...my car is certified untill the end of 2008, so hopefully it'll be ****ed badly enough by then, so they can put a new one...has anyone tried to go the dealers with any luck about this issue, could someone shed the light on how sleezy the warranty **** is?
Old 05-18-2005
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
that sucks man i got the same problem on my 97 accord but its alot worse its got 120,000 miles though i think my trannys gonna die soon or maybe it could be the engine mounts because its almost gone, can this happen if your always downshifting to d3 and 2nd gear can that **** up the tranny because i thought it was like semi automatic because it changes to d3 without pressing button
Old 05-18-2005
Premium Member

my moms 92 accord auto (68k miles) is leaking axle fluid or something. The dealer said they can't really fix it so its only a matter of time before we need a new one.
Old 06-10-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I am just driving this until I can get something else. The more people I meet and talk about Honda's the more I hear this is a very common issue.

So I ask the question again...

How is the world is Honda rated to high on Consumer Reports? I don't hear too many people who are happy with their cars.

Hmmmm

FIXED!!

Old 06-10-2005
Premium Member

well other cars are worse I guess. Some friends and I drove a new sentra rental with an auto tranny and no power. Well we had to floor it all the time just to keep up on the freeway. By the time we got into town, that thing was so jerky we thought it was gonna fall apart. And thats after one day!
Old 06-30-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Can you imagine that car after a few years?? Wow.

You know, I might go back to an American made car like Ford or Pontiac. Not sure really. I like the new 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse too.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mits...chlanding.html

There are lots of choices and by the time I pay this thing off (if it lasts that long) I'm sure there will be plenty of better options than a Honda anyway. For the price, this thing is not a good deal at all. Maybe years ago but not anymore.

I drive on average 150 miles each day, Monday through Friday and this thing really beats me up. I am actually tired when I get home sometimes. If it's not the loud road noise then it's the constant jolting from even the slightest bumps. I think I made the wrong choice because if I knew this car would be so unenjoyable to drive I would never have purchased it. It's more like a chore to drive it and that's very frustrating. I see all walks of life enjoying their cars and crusing around town all happy and then I look in the rear-view mirror at my disgusted look and just shake my head.

Some of you might be thinking... "Heck man, just SELL the thing and quit your complaining" If I could, I would! With this tranny the way it is there is no way someone would drive away with this thing. If I traded it in I'd lose my shirt, big time. So you see, I am in a pickle here. I don't have tons of money to just trade this in and start over with a car payment. Once this is paid off I need to actually drive it as long as I can possibly stand it (unless it makes me go postal) in order to get some worth out of it. Sure, I could trade it in tomorrow and it would get paid off but then what? Yes, another car payment for five years! My wife's van is about DEAD and when I do pay this Honda off we need to get another "family" van. So, now you understand why I am stuck here. I made a bad choice and now I have to live with it! Period.

Live and learn like I always say. Maybe by the time I am dead I will know it all!

Well, this is my venting journal after all. So take my comments with a grain of salt. Not every Honda does this we know but mine and many others on this forum do! I still think there is a major problem with Honda transmissions although they do not admit it and never will. It will eventually catch up to them though.

Mark my words and remember you read it here...

Honda will not be the "quality" choice in automobiles five years from now, maybe sooner. Over the years I have seen their products getting worse. The more I read and the more I research these transmissions the more it backs up my thoughts. So, time will tell. But in the near future there will be much better choices for the same price range or less. Honda is overpriced, overrated, and fading fast...

Chow!

Old 06-30-2005
Premium Member

I keep saying this over and over, but after the 2000 si, honda took a big nose dive. The D17 is considered one of the worst motors honda has made, tons of tranny problems, shocks that blow out after 10k miles, noisy cabin, I could go on forever. But the fact is I still like it. That's what I have and will make the most of it. Hey at least it looks nice! Its gonna be interesting what they do for the next generationbecause that new si is gonna make or break them. There are already too many faster cars out there from every company.

Quick Reply: Transmission - Jerky - Automatic - HELP!