Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

7th gen civics and their common problems...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guzman is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic with bad struts

Originally Posted by TSSCivic
I believe 03-05 is using the 55mm struts just like the RSX.
I have an 02 Civic that had to have it's struts replaced after 2 years (June 2004) and about 60 000 km (about 40 000 miles). I know of two others that have had to have their front struts replaced too. I realize now from this forum that it is not an isolated incident. My question and concern is that if they replaced them with the same struts won't they fail again (as I have heard of some people with 01s having multiple replacements). Could they possible have replaced the struts with the larger (55 mm) struts of the 03-05s and RSX (would larger struts fit and solve the issue?)....I haven't read any failures in those cars but they are newer. Or is this a suspension design problem that will cause me to replace struts every two years? Thanks for any input you guys have
Old 12-10-2004
Registered!!

MrDibbs19 is an unknown quantity at this point
i haven't noticed any of these problems so far with my 01 EX
Old 12-11-2004
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by guzman
I have an 02 Civic that had to have it's struts replaced after 2 years (June 2004) and about 60 000 km (about 40 000 miles). I know of two others that have had to have their front struts replaced too. I realize now from this forum that it is not an isolated incident. My question and concern is that if they replaced them with the same struts won't they fail again (as I have heard of some people with 01s having multiple replacements). Could they possible have replaced the struts with the larger (55 mm) struts of the 03-05s and RSX (would larger struts fit and solve the issue?)....I haven't read any failures in those cars but they are newer. Or is this a suspension design problem that will cause me to replace struts every two years? Thanks for any input you guys have
I think there is a TSB bulletin out on the early civics and that the struts where simply to small and that they where to be replaced for free with the larger sturts (55mm) in the case of failure. Howwever, this is only for the US and I'm not sure how Canada worked with this. The smaller struts where found in the 01 and early '02 civics.

So basically if you had your struts replace in '03 or later, they should have been the larger (55mm) struts presuming you had it done by the dealer. If they where not replaced with the 55mm, go back and complain to the dealer. If you went to an after market place like National Tire and Battery or something like that (other than Honda), all I can say is that I feel sorry for you and the money it costs you. You could go back and ask what size strut they put on you car, but you may not get much help. You could try to get TSB bulliten and say they where not properly informed and sold you the wrong product for your car, but it may not work.
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

guzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, I did have them replaced at the dealer in June 2004. I just looked at my work order and I noticed that it says that they replaced the "stuts" and not "strut assembly" or anything like that. Wouldn't the larger struts require the whole thng to be replaced not just the strut cartridge (or would it have said strut cartridge if that is all they replaced)? Do you know typically how long a dealer warranties replacement parts such as the struts?
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

nick14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question my problems

Originally Posted by guzman
I have a 2001 ex sedan which I bought used about 1 year ago with 63k miles. It now has 90k miles; I put on about 30k miles per year. I have had the following problems: squeaky clutch pedal, driver seat is loose, cable broke to remote release to gas door, the honda H emblem on the front falls off when I drop the hood down, I have a rattle in the right side front door, and my front struts are leaking oil and my mechanic has told me they need to be replaced although the car still is handling well.
Although I have 90k miles on the car, since I bought this car used, I have no idea how many miles are on the struts, and I have the same concern about replacing the struts with unreliable ones. I have looked around for a reliable replacement strut, and have located on tirerack the kyb gr-2 but I am concerned that they may be too harsh. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I have owned 3 hondas before including an 1982 civic which I stopped using at 170k (still running), a 1992 accord wagon which lasted until I traded it in at 226k for the 2001 civic, and my wife has a 1995 odyssey with 126k. On all my prior hondas I never had to replace any suspension part, since I mostly do highway driving, so I am worried about the 2001 civic, but I like the car, it handles okay, with the b.f. goodrich traction t/a s. So I am looking for some advice. I am loyal to honda but my loyalty is being tested.
Old 02-16-2005
Registered!!

JRHAWK9 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a '05 Civic with 7,400 miles, here's my list:

- rocking drivers seat
- noisy rear suspension
- just developed what sounds like lifter noise, but only when at idle. Give it a good rev and it stops for about 15 seconds and then comes back. Shut the car off and immediately start it back up and it won't be there. Will eventually fade back in though.
- sometimes my keyless entry won't work

This is my first Honda and I am not impressed. I had a '97 Neon that had better build quality and it's motor was quieter at 160,000 miles than this Civic is at 7,400 miles.

Paul
Old 02-16-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I have a '05 Civic with 7,400 miles, here's my list:

- rocking drivers seat
- noisy rear suspension
- just developed what sounds like lifter noise, but only when at idle. Give it a good rev and it stops for about 15 seconds and then comes back. Shut the car off and immediately start it back up and it won't be there. Will eventually fade back in though.
- sometimes my keyless entry won't work

This is my first Honda and I am not impressed. I had a '97 Neon that had better build quality and it's motor was quieter at 160,000 miles than this Civic is at 7,400 miles.

Paul
The engine sound that you say is the lifters, is actually the valves. It is nothing to worry about, I've had four civic's now, and all of them have done it, 3 Accords now and they all do it too, including the '04 Accord I have. It's a common Honda thing, they use a stiffer material on the valve seats than other companies, so it sound wierd, but lasts far longer.

The rocking drivers seat can be fixed at the dealer, just let them know and they should take care of it for you. If all else fails, get the TSB's it should be on there and if you know the number of the TSB and all that they can not turn you down (although I've never heard of a Honda dealer turning anyoen away for somehting that isn't racing related).

Noisy rear suspension, I didn't figure out before I got rid of my civic. But if you live in a cold area, the struts may get to cold and creek for the first 10-15 minutes or longer untill they get warmed up. You could ask the dealer about that too, I would be interested in hearing what they say.

Haven't heard of the keyless not working for anyone, yet so I can't offer any advise.
Old 02-21-2005
Registered!!

hondaonchrome is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i also have the rocky seat syndrome,,,,lol......but thats it for my 02 2dr ex.,,,i have 33,000 miles on it now.
Old 02-21-2005
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have any of these problems...the only problem i have is that the doors don't match the rest of the body. I have the magnessium color and the doors are a few shades darker than the rest of the body, not to mention they don't follow the line that runs down the entire side of the body, they are slighty off the line. Do you think the dealership will fix this?
Old 02-21-2005

Originally Posted by Boggie1688
I don't have any of these problems...the only problem i have is that the doors don't match the rest of the body. I have the magnessium color and the doors are a few shades darker than the rest of the body, not to mention they don't follow the line that runs down the entire side of the body, they are slighty off the line. Do you think the dealership will fix this?
Can't hurt to complain to them about it. Sounds like something happened to your car before you bought it and they had to replace the door
Old 02-21-2005
Diamond Member

My car was brand new...when I went to the dealership it had 3 miles on it. If those &*()^ lied to me imma beat there ***
Old 02-21-2005

My car was brand new...when I went to the dealership it had 3 miles on it. If those &*()^ lied to me imma beat there ***
It may have happend during loading the car or something. I know some onw that bought a Volvo and had three transmision put in it. Found out after the third tranny that the car rolled off the truck (as in some one drove it up the loading ramps wrong and the car flipped) and bent the frame. The car had a messed up frame and kept twisting off the trannies. Volvo gave him full refund for his car and gave him the same model car for free. He was very happy with the deal, but his ar was in the shop for 4 months the first year he owned the lemon one.
Old 02-21-2005
Diamond Member

OH SH^T....ok time to make some phone calls....(am I allowed to curse here?)
Old 02-21-2005

OH SH^T....ok time to make some phone calls....(am I allowed to curse here?)
LOL, a door isn't what I call a serious problem though that will cause massive car failure. I would just talk to the dealer and see if they willing to fix it up if you think it is that bad. I wouldn't go crazy though, or at least untill they decide not to fix it. It is also very possible that the doors are not painted with the body at the factory. And perhap your car rolled out while the doors where painted with one batch while the body was painted with a different batch on paint. There are endless possiblities.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 02-21-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2005
Diamond Member

Man I paid for the car...I want it to be in perfect condition!!! LoL...yea i just called them they said to bring it down and have the asistant manager look at it. From there they will decide what to do.
Old 02-21-2005

Man I paid for the car...I want it to be in perfect condition!!! LoL...yea i just called them they said to bring it down and have the asistant manager look at it. From there they will decide what to do.
Yeah I know, I just paid 19,500 for mine (Accord EX) and that's far more than I have ever spent on a car. Infact my '03 civic was more than all 8 of my previous car put together (or at leats their intial cost). You spend that kind of cash, it better be perfect. Honda should take care of you though.
Old 02-21-2005
Diamond Member

Son of a Gun I just noticed I have a small ding on the door...GOD i'm pissed only 1 week old too!!! Must have been one of those raised trunk that go to my school...GOD I HaTe those raised trucks...anywayz...its on the discolored door soo I hope they replace it...LOL *wishful thinking*
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok now i have developed another issue with this damn Civic...........I have replaced the left front wheel bearingonce at about 20k due to a lil grinding.........not too bad but sounded awful....now im at about 62k and hey hey low and behold it is doing it all over again.....just wondering if anyone else has had any bearing issues
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

fondahonda is an unknown quantity at this point
after going thru this thread and reading I know I got a good car.
OK here are my problems with my 01 ex 96,000 mi
seat belt holder thingy fell off.
rear deck rattles with new stereo
wind noies( Louder stereo helped that one)
inside trunk lever lock broken
and just now the pass window motor died
I would have to agree that the plasic inside the car is cheap and crummy
but my civic is a far better car than any other domestic I have EVER owend
I have an 02 chevy avalanche that I also love but its a poorly built vehicle

so I will just keep on getting my 33 miles a gallon and only drive with one windo down with the stereo real loud
hell I do that most of the time anyway
fondahonda
Old 04-16-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
my 04 only has some minor rattles and moonroof rattle. other then that it's been awesome and i don't really get any crazy wind noise either.

edit: oh yeah my interior trunk opener/lever broke too ^^^

Last edited by kornsined; 04-16-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2005
Registered!!

mack82097 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 05 and it has a really loud rattle coming from the roof liner above the right rear passenger head area. Also, the dealer installed alarm ALWAYS goes off when I open the door, even if I press the unlock button 100 times. The car only has 3200 miles on it, I wonde what will happen when it has 32000 miles.
Old 05-20-2005
Registered!!

beegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura about
I think that is where my rattle is coming from as well...the sunroof or liner. I'm not going to say anything until I take it in for the first oil change.

How about you...anything get done yet
Beeg Wally
Old 05-20-2005
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
baaa haaa my tranny just went out on my 01 last night. 92000 miles. woo hooo I love it guys. j/k I'm cool now. was very pist off but whatever..
Old 05-22-2005
Registered!!

Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
for some reason i hear a click when my car comes to a full stop. i hear lots of posts that talk about a clicking clutch but i hear a clicking noise when i press the brake and reach a full stop.

also, i sometimes hear a buzzing noise when i turn the key in the ignition (and no, it's not because i turned the key further after the engine started)

one last thing, i feel like my fuel economy dropped and it seems like there's a loss of power....what to do? i only have 14,336 miles!

i have a very slow (stock) 5-speed '04 DX coupe by the way...

Last edited by Eclectic; 05-22-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
damn some of you have bad problems. My only problem I have right now is I have a bad pedal vibration from braking that I think is caused by either the pads I have or my hubs have too much runout. Also I have a vibration at 50 MPH and above that I dont know where its coming from. But both of these are just from wear. No other problems though.
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

ancientpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 7th gen civics and their common problems...

got my car when it had 180k and its got too much road noise especially when its raining (its a civic so oh well) struts are leaking/ rattle on front driver dash and the tranny slips from 2nd to 3rd (auto btw) mostly during winter but disappears when engine warm or summertime. And now i have a cracked exhaust manifold and the passenger window motor died, BUT i have almost 240k on it already so i really shouldnt complain, he he!
Old 07-16-2007
Registered!!

sik05civic has a spectacular aura aboutsik05civic has a spectacular aura aboutsik05civic has a spectacular aura about

my problems are a squeaky rear drum brake...it's caused by dust im sure but it wont go away no matter how much i clean it... the rear part of my roof liner vibrates but that's caused by 2 12's =) and the rear deck...same problem lol. i have the typical seat rock but as soon as it get's out of the shop ( i got rear ended ) it will go back to honda to get the seat rock fixed.

the cd player was starting to keep my cd's so that got replaced. my dome light has that annoying whine to it...i think our problems are MOSTLY caused by the owner's not taking care of it well enough. but thats just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2007
Registered!!

02cvcdx is an unknown quantity at this point

i all the symptoms except sunroof cuz i have an ex passenger panel rattles, the right side of my driver seat leans back.. and wind/ oad noise...has anyone figured out how to fix any of these problems
Old 08-24-2007
Registered!!

02cvcdx is an unknown quantity at this point

*****i have a dx...
Old 10-20-2007
Registered!!

james64 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a an automatic trans, but I have a squeaky brake pedal !! Very annoying !!!

Quick Reply: 7th gen civics and their common problems...