Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   7th gen civics and their common problems... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/168055-7th-gen-civics-their-common-problems.html)

Metallica454 08-10-2004 02:01 PM

7th gen civics and their common problems...

I like my Civic except the traditional Honda quality just isnt their for the 7th geners. I've read and heard about many complaints with the quality of these vics and these are the top 5.

Squeaky clutch pedal
Rocking driver/passenger seat
rattles in interior panels
excessive wind and road noise
sunroof panel warpage (in EX models)

I have unfortunately expericed all of these. 3 of these were fixed temporarily but they started up again. With the squeaky clutch, they even went as far to replace the master cylider, but it started 3 days later again. Whats the matter Honda?

zen_master 08-10-2004 02:10 PM

they're also common in other cars...

aznboysrfr 08-10-2004 02:13 PM

auto trannies have tons of problems too

the squeaky clutch was thought to be the master cylinder, but I think I read somewhere that it was actually the slave cylinder

Metallica454 08-10-2004 02:18 PM

Common in cars with under 20,000 miles? :flush:

zen_master 08-10-2004 02:26 PM

^^that, im not sure....LOL..

anyway, the squeeky clutch.......it's common in nearly all gen of civic...

including my dad's........very old civic...3rd gen?

Sickboy 08-10-2004 02:30 PM

I've got the clutch and seat problems only.

zen_master 08-10-2004 02:31 PM

i heard that u can use lithium grease somewhere around the clutch mechanism...and it'll remove the noises..

Sickboy 08-10-2004 02:42 PM

That might work for a pedal squeak, but I also have a clutch "clicking" noise after long drives. It might be the slave as mentioned...I'll have to look into it.

Jrfish007 08-10-2004 02:53 PM

I've had the first four on that list, but my sunroof is now squeking. What is the deal with the sunroof?

But I agree, I've had a 5th gen, 6th gen, and now 7th gen civic, and this one is buy far the worst quality I've had. But it's still far better than the other American cars I was looking at.

Jrfish007 08-10-2004 02:57 PM

IMO, the Accord had a far better quality than our cars. Personally the next I'm looking at is going to be a Volvo I think (assuming Ford doesn't F*^% it up and move it to China like they where thinking about). If I don't like Volvo when the time comes, I'll move BMW, but I really hate to pay the price.

I thought a while ago I would always drive a Honda, but there quality just is where it used to be. IMO

abmerop18 08-10-2004 03:06 PM

i got the squeaky clutch and even with my new ACT clutch it still squeaks :hithead:

and i dont know where it comes from, but the inside passenger side rattles somewhere and it readdy annoys me

Nemesis22 08-10-2004 03:06 PM

I agree with everyone on this. I have the squeaky clutch, a rattle in the rear deck, road noise, etc.

zen_master 08-10-2004 03:16 PM

actually.......

for me, the squeeky clutch is actually very normal................for me..........
cos' civic's like that all the time...

beastiek2 08-10-2004 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nemesis22
I agree with everyone on this. I have the squeaky clutch, a rattle in the rear deck, road noise, etc.

Yup rear deck to much noise, road noise too. I need a louder radio now I realize :cool:

SeeGirLDrifT 08-10-2004 03:45 PM

I have the seat problem.. i'm too lazy to try and fix it... Is it just like.. screws and stuff or is it just that it is defective over time?

2K1Civic17"Gabe 08-10-2004 08:08 PM

I fixed all my rattling panels, my squeeky clutch was my master cylinder, replaced at 80,000 miles, no prob at all before that completely quiet untill about 70,000. I have about 2,000 miles since it was replaced, and no prob at all. :tup: The wind noise is bad on freeways, but my stereo overpowers it.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 08-10-2004 08:09 PM

My struts make terrible noises, they click really loud, the CV boots are fine, I am waiting to lower my car, untill I fix that

pon55 08-10-2004 08:22 PM

My dx makes no noise that I can hear over the intake,exhaust,and stereo :confused:

streetglower 08-10-2004 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Metallica454
I like my Civic except the traditional Honda quality just isnt their for the 7th geners. I've read and heard about many complaints with the quality of these vics and these are the top 5.

Squeaky clutch pedal
Rocking driver/passenger seat
rattles in interior panels
excessive wind and road noise
sunroof panel warpage (in EX models)

I have unfortunately expericed all of these. 3 of these were fixed temporarily but they started up again. With the squeaky clutch, they even went as far to replace the master cylider, but it started 3 days later again. Whats the matter Honda?

I have none of those problems

xRiCeBoYx 08-10-2004 08:29 PM

i have the rocking driver seat and there's also a massive vibration inside my front dash.. that one is pissing me off and i'm about to rip apart my dash and make sure nothing can freakin vibrate under the dash... anyone know how to fix that..?

Jrfish007 08-11-2004 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
My struts make terrible noises, they click really loud, the CV boots are fine, I am waiting to lower my car, untill I fix that

What year is your car? They had a kind of like what you might call a quite recall on the 01 and early '02 struts. But I know a few people with those models years have had their strtus replaced for free by Honda.

MrWong 08-11-2004 09:01 AM

I just have the clicking clutch sound and fixed the rocking seat.

Pretty much all Honda cars have slipped in quality, even the new TL is riddled with bugs.

coop 08-11-2004 10:02 AM

I've had the rattling issues - passenger door panel and rear quarter panel after ICE upgrades from my sub. Luckily both were fixable.

wonderz 08-11-2004 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
What year is your car? They had a kind of like what you might call a quite recall on the 01 and early '02 struts. But I know a few people with those models years have had their strtus replaced for free by Honda.

omg there is a recall on that thing? i got an early 02. and my one side of my rear suspension makes clicking sound when i turn hard around corner and when i look under the car, nothing seems wrong. so that's the strut problem? and how do i check if i got a bad strut?

streetglower 08-11-2004 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wonderz
omg there is a recall on that thing? i got an early 02. and my one side of my rear suspension makes clicking sound when i turn hard around corner and when i look under the car, nothing seems wrong. so that's the strut problem? and how do i check if i got a bad strut?

best bet is to take it to a shop to have them check it if you dont know cars very well. Also you can check to if there is oil leaking from the shock. But do you have your stock suspension or lowering springs or what? Cause alot of the times those contribute to the noise.

wonderz 08-11-2004 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
best bet is to take it to a shop to have them check it if you dont know cars very well. Also you can check to if there is oil leaking from the shock. But do you have your stock suspension or lowering springs or what? Cause alot of the times those contribute to the noise.

my suspension setup is all stock. and it just makes clicking sound on the rear right side under hard turning or prolong freeway driving. other than leaks how else can i check for bad strut without take it out?
and how exactly does bad strut cause "clicking" noise? 'cause i thought bad strut just make the car bouncy.
thanks

UltimateWarrior 08-11-2004 06:40 PM

My tranny jerks! It suks...

Read my original post.

:hithead:

HELP_ME 08-14-2004 10:51 AM

im only getting the excessive wind and road noise...

streetglower 08-14-2004 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by HELP_ME
im only getting the excessive wind and road noise...

yea me too, but I just turn my music up and forget about it.

civic2uner 08-14-2004 10:38 PM

i have the rocking seat. how do you fix it?