Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Warranty to expire: extend it, or just inspect?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004
TMQ
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TMQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Warranty to expire: extend it, or just inspect?

Well, the AT coupe is 100 miles before 36K (Sept 2001 model). Should I extend the warranty? So far no big problems. Who knows what may show up in a couple of months. Should I go to the dealer to get a complete inspection? Not sure if that's useful... Let me hear your experience or suggestions. thanks!
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
no need for an extended warranty. if you do your preventive maintenance, you will be fine for 200,000 miles.
Old 08-07-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I very much doubt that. Have you read through this forum? Everything from faulty sensors to broken tranny. Anything could go wrong, and most things do after the warranty. Renew it for sure. These new civics aren't as reliable as the older ones.
Old 08-07-2004
Powered by Honda

y.0. KiLLa is an unknown quantity at this point
yea just extend it..i extended mine for like 1800...i have a 7yr coverage on the whole entire car..i would rather dish out the money now and be safe later..yea like streetglower said our trannys aint as durable as they should be..if u intend to keep ur car..yea do it.
Old 08-08-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
Buy it.

Last edited by redvtec04; 08-08-2004 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
Go for it in the long run you will be happy
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by y.0. KiLLa
yea just extend it..i extended mine for like 1800...i have a 7yr coverage on the whole entire car..i would rather dish out the money now and be safe later..yea like streetglower said our trannys aint as durable as they should be..if u intend to keep ur car..yea do it.
werd. most everything is covered on my car untill 100,000 miles. and our car may run untill 200,000 miles, but along the way, things will go wrong. And like gearbox said, so many people have so many problems with there vic. I only paid $1000 for my extended warranty.
Old 08-08-2004
TMQ
Registered!!

Thanks all for the input. It's hard to believe that so many recommendations for extending the warranty! I guess Honda's reliability is just quickly declining? Maybe I should look for a different brand for the next car?
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TMQ
Thanks all for the input. It's hard to believe that so many recommendations for extending the warranty! I guess Honda's reliability is just quickly declining? Maybe I should look for a different brand for the next car?
now you are thinking. hondas are still good, you just have to maintain it. I would get a honda again if I didnt have alot of money, but it wouldnt be my first choice.
Old 08-08-2004
TMQ
Registered!!

From JD pwers and associates' 3yr survey, it still seems that Honda ranks pretty high among most auto makers, actually a bit higher than Toyota. I wonder if the problems heard here are not an accurate sampling of ALL the Civics and only represent a small fraction?

I browse around and notice that Mazda 3 has 4yr 48K warranty. Pretty good. I guess if I want to really be safe, I can always get a Hyundai.
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TMQ
From JD pwers and associates' 3yr survey, it still seems that Honda ranks pretty high among most auto makers, actually a bit higher than Toyota. I wonder if the problems heard here are not an accurate sampling of ALL the Civics and only represent a small fraction?

I browse around and notice that Mazda 3 has 4yr 48K warranty. Pretty good. I guess if I want to really be safe, I can always get a Hyundai.
That is a dealer warranty, with any car you buy, you can upgrade your warranty, and most smart people do. Yea it costs about an extra $1000 or so, but well worth it. And besides alot of extended warranties cover everything, from down to brakes, to your ac, to your engine.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

one420 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have an automatic tranny then extend it. I work for a Honda dealership and we replace lots of Civic, Accord, and CRV automatic transmissions all the time. Honda even has TSB's out on the automatic transmissions.
Old 08-10-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by one420
If you have an automatic tranny then extend it. I work for a Honda dealership and we replace lots of Civic, Accord, and CRV automatic transmissions all the time. Honda even has TSB's out on the automatic transmissions.
What is out on the 02 civics auto trannies? Anything? Cause I have an auto and I would like a nice new tranny. Even though mine still works good.
Old 08-10-2004