Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dealed says tranny is "supposed" to JERK when cold!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinkytube is an unknown quantity at this point
Dealed says tranny is "supposed" to JERK when cold!

I have a 2002 Acura EL ( Basically , a luxury Civic In Canada); With an automatic transmission. It now has around 50000kms, ( 30000 miles); and When it was new, even on the coldest morning, I never ever had problems with the transmission. Now, when it's cold, and I am trying to get out of the driveway, the engine will rev up to 3000, but the car is not moving! , and after a few seconds, BOOM, the car jerks forward. And sometimes, on really cold mornings, when I move the selector from P to D, there is a loud THUD!!; Anyways, the dealer says that his does the same thing, but I don't care what HIS does!!!! When I bought the car new, it did not do that! So under warranty, should whatever this is be repaired? Or is there a clause in the warranty that states that this is NORMAL?????????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
go back to the dealer and DEMAND that someone looks at your car. you know and they know its not normal for a car to do that so tell them to fix it before your warranty is expired.

what are you still reading this for... GO NOW YOU FOOL!!!
Old 01-25-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

GO NOW U FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

they just want u to keep fvcking up ur car with that problem so that the thing isn't driveable once ur warranty is up and then whoops looks like a $2500 repair! DARN!
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, the noises and thuds you hear are guite normal for a honda auto imo. If you ever notice other honda drivers in parking lots, listen for when they shift out of park and so forth. You will hear noises. Yes, it is going to be worse when it is really cold.

Pretty much listen to any other car manufacturer's autos shift from park and between the gears and you won't hear sheit. It's a honda thing....Now, the tranny slipping, it shouldn't be doing that...
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My tranny is fine in the cold. Makes a little noise switching, but nothing big. It seems to slip more in warm weather between 1st and 2nd. When the car is cold, it should shift faster.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
If it revs up to 3000 rpms then slams into gear your tranny is slipping. Could be the clutch packs or torque converter.. but I'm just guessing.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know, 3000 is a little high. On the coldest mornings, my car only idles at 1500 max, no higher, and it gradually evens out to 500-750 as it warms up.

As for the bumps, it sounds like something is wrong there. I agree with Da1lyDr1ver, go and see if someone can look at it. If not the dealer, try somewhere else.