Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding brakes & related issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alwayslove is an unknown quantity at this point
Grinding brakes & related issue...

Lately my brake is making a grinding noise whenever i press hard on it or whenever i am a slope, this grinding noise always appears, but for the rest of the time, it always comes and go. I brought it to my dealership and let them take a look, they said I still have 30% brake pad so he think my brake pad may be overheat and he suggested me to eliminate this problem by changing the brake pad plus machining the front caliper/rotors. With this service, it would come to about $250! I have heard there has been some problem with the brake that has this problem, I have searched TSB from alldata.com, they have listed there should be a brake service can done on front brake (Brakes - Brake Disc Refinishing Guidelines) but there is no detail (pdf) file attached to it? Am I looking at the right thing, and if I do, if anyone has that TSB sheet, can you PM or send it to me? I am going back to dealership tomorrow so if it would be great I can have this sheet with me when I go tomorrow.

Oh one more thing, I am not sure if this is related or not, but when I am driving, I can feel there is something scratching through the gas pedal when I going foward, I am not sure if this is brake related or something different?

Thanks for all you guys input and help!

Last edited by alwayslove; 11-13-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
You're better off buying new pads and rotors online, and then paying a garage to install them for you. Much cheaper than $250 and you'll get better pads and new rotors out of it (instead of cheap machined Honda rotors).

Try AEM/Nissin pads and Brembo blank rotors... that's the combo I got and they work great. Price was around $130 for them together, but you can probably get it cheaper if you shop around.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, and for your grinding sound, if you can live with it, I would just wait until everything is ready to be changed. I wouldn't bother machining the rotors unless you're getting vibration in the steering wheel during braking.