Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Slow Accleration and Low Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dticalman01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Slow Accleration and Low Gas Mileage

Recently, I've been getting slower acceleration and lower gas mileage.. I only have about 24,000 Miles on my 02 Civic...and I don't know what is causing this. I don't know much about cars, but I do get my oil changes done every 5,000 miles... What things can contribute to this....Fuel Injectors, Bad Sparkplugs.? At 16,000 i accidentally had put diesel in my car..but I got it fixed immediately...Does the fact that I put diesel earlier have an effect on the way my car is performing right now?
This Monday I AM planning to go to the Honda Dealer and hopefully get it fixed under warranty. I have never done any warranty work before, so I'm Hoping they will cover this...

..I only have 24,000 miles on this car with 2 yrs of ownership..and acceleration doesn't seem to be as strong..it's just sorta stiff and doesn't punch as much...and gas mileage seems to be lower....Are these problems covered by Warranty... and what would they do on my car to clear up the problems....?

Last edited by Dticalman01; 11-09-2003 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-07-2003
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
yea man i know what you mean. I'm feelin it already.
Old 11-07-2003
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
many things can contribute, driving conditions, driving style, what type of mileage are you getting? I think it's too early for the spark plug/injectors problem.....
Old 11-08-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Check the plugs. Mine were bad at 18K. Also drain and refill the tranny fluid if you have an auto. The diesel may be the cause unless they replaced every part of the fuel system when they fixed it.
Old 11-08-2003
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
heh, imo 5000 for an oil change is late ... but that's in my opinion. ..
Old 11-08-2003
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
yeah it may be a spark plug or so....... does it kinda hesitate in first gear and feels really slow? if so... check the plugs
Old 11-09-2003
Registered!!

I did install new Bosch Platinum-2 Spark Plugs today but the acceleration still seems stiff..and the car just lags......Do I have to replace the transmission Fluid? ...or Could my slow acceleration be due to my fuel injectors...because I DID use Chevron Techron Fuel Injector cleaner to try and clean them up., but My acceleration still feels slow and stiff....The gas pedal doesn't push smoothly like it used to...what is it that I have to replace....?

Do Fuel Injector Cleaner Liquids actually clean the fuel injectors pretty well?....

Last edited by Dticalman01; 11-09-2003 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, you bought the wrong spark plugs. Should have gone with double platinum (like stock) or iridium. Bosch is terrible. My plugs were dead and I felt a difference getting NGK iridium IX plugs.
Old 11-09-2003
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
if they didn't replace the fuel system after you used diesel, there is probably diesel still reside in the system, diesel doesn't ignite and it needs higher compression, so it's probably not detonating in your cylinder, causing slow speed and bogs

how long ago was the diesel in the engine? and what did they do to treat it?

check was your plugs foul when you removed it, and probably want to bring it in to get it checked. not sure this stuff would be cover under warranty though, it wasn't factory parts that failed, it was a user induced error
Old 11-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Voiceofid
how long ago was the diesel in the engine? and what did they do to treat it?

was your plugs foul when you removed it, and probably want to bring it in to get it checked. not sure this stuff would be cover under warranty though, it wasn't factory parts that failed, it was a user induced error
The diesel was in my engine at 16,000 miles..but now I have 24,500 miles on my civic..it ran fine after I got it cleaned...but now the acceleration and gas pedal seem to be more stiff..and it doesn't run as smooth...seems like the car is lagging from too much deposits or bad fuel injectors..I don' know..I changed the spark plugs and the air filter...anything else I should change?
Old 11-10-2003
End Bringer

if it was that long ago, i don't think the diesel could've been the problem

when did you started to notice this? stiff gas pedal could mean you have some weird vaccume going on inside your intake, check the intake pipes to make sure nothing big got stuck in there, check the throttle from the engine bay, see how difficult it is to snap the throttle

if it's an aftermarket intake, try removing it and put the factory one back in. if it's the factory intake, remove the different parts and what not so see did a small animal or something got inside

does it have trouble starting up? does it idle weird? once you wot, what do you feel? hear any weird stuff?

i am leaning toward something stuck in the intake
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

I took it to the dealer..and they said there's nothing wrong with the car except that the transmission fluid may be dirty.....
It costs $140 to flush the transmission...if I cleaned that out..will that fix my acceleration problem..? thanks in advance..
Old 11-11-2003
End Bringer

Originally posted by Dticalman01
I took it to the dealer..and they said there's nothing wrong with the car except that the transmission fluid may be dirty.....
It costs $140 to flush the transmission...if I cleaned that out..will that fix my acceleration problem..? thanks in advance..
it may, it may not

i can see where they come from, just do it yourself, the atf is like.. 4 bucks a quart at honda (you must use honda atf for our tranny)
Old 11-12-2003
Welcome To Prime Time, BITCH!

GrayGhost is on a distinguished road
I've just got one question: How do you accidently fuel up with diesel? Every gas station that I've been to that sells diesel has the diesel pump away from the regular fuel pumps.
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Wal-mart has the diesel and regular at the same pump, just different nossels.
Old 11-23-2003
Registered!!

Hey VoiceofId...how would I check the Throttle Cable and what would I have to check it for...

Last edited by Dticalman01; 11-24-2003 at 03:47 AM.