Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

what to do.. small dots of rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malice29r is an unknown quantity at this point
what to do.. small dots of rust

Hey,

I have a 7 month old '02 EX, and on the back bumper there are (i'd say) at least 100 tiny specks of rust.. they can be scratched off w/ a fingernail and some water but they are REALLY annoying, and look like garbage..

I'll be taking the car in for an oil change this thursday, so maybe I can get some answers then, but in the meantime, does anyone know if this type of thing is covered under warranty? I dunno much about how the rust warranty works.. but I assume it only covers actual metal rusting and not just rust on the surface of the paint..

Does anyone else have these weird rust dots?
Old 08-11-2003
jro
Registered!!

jro is an unknown quantity at this point
by chance, do you live near railroad tracks? it sounds like you have a rail dust problem. metal particulates from railroad tracks land on your paint and subsequently rust. if you don't live near tracks, it could be that you car was once transported by rail on its way to your dealer. a clay bar will fix your problem. you can pick them up at most auto parts stores.
-jro
Old 08-11-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
well your bumpers are plastic so they don't rust. It must be something that is getting on your car when your driving or something.
Old 08-12-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by jro
by chance, do you live near railroad tracks? it sounds like you have a rail dust problem. metal particulates from railroad tracks land on your paint and subsequently rust. if you don't live near tracks, it could be that you car was once transported by rail on its way to your dealer. a clay bar will fix your problem. you can pick them up at most auto parts stores.
-jro
Yup, that's the problem. My parents had a car once that had the same problem. There were little rust specks on the plastic bumpers. We never lived near train tracks, but the car was transported across country on a train, and that's all it took. Take it to the dealer now, because my dad waited on his car, and he ran out of warranty before he worked up the motivation. As for the clay bar, I don't know if that'll work. I never tried it, but the little spots are deep in the clearcoat, but hey, it's worth a shot.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

malice29r is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah actually I do live approx. 1/4 to 1/2 a kilometer from some train tracks, seems kinda far to have any effect, but I guess the wind could carry such small particles..

thanks, i'll check with the dealer first and if nothing comes from that then i'll look into trying out a clay bar.
Old 08-12-2003
Registered!!

djaaronk is an unknown quantity at this point
Malice...I have a taffeta white '01 Ex Coupe and live in SD CA. There is so much polution fallout here that I have had to use the clay bar on my car I think three times so far. When I would look closely at my white paint, it didn't look white anymore and was very rough feeling...especially on the rear bumper area. I think it has something to do with the way the air leaves the tail end of the Civic. The clay bar does really work. It's a pain in the *ss cause you have to use the bar on most of the horizontal surfaces of the car...and some of the others too...and then I would always wax mine after that. It's really a ton of work....but it's totally worth it. When you are done with the bar just run your hand over the area that you've done...showroom smooth!!! I usually wax mine after using the clay bar too. Makes me wish I would've gotten that teflon coating that the dealer was trying to sell me. Good luck!